Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Recommend me a new wallet
  • mugsys_m8

Hi,

I’m after a wallett as my Lowe Alpine one has been falling apart over the last 4 years or so…!

I’ve always had outdoor style ones in the past, because well I’m into the outdoors… However I need a new one and can’t seem to find one to suit. I’m one of these people who seem to carry around a load of schrapnel in my wallet rather than a set of crisp £20 notes.

The schrapnel part of it needs to have the opening in a landscape rather than portrait orientation…., the card part needs to hold around 5 cards and I never have more than five or so notes, but usually a stack of receipts.

I’m wanting something that is smart, as I’m finding myself increasingly smarter these days when working overseas etc,office client schmoozing one day and then the next day I could be in the bottom of a mine looking at rocks.

Quirky/ design is welcomed, I saw some aluminum ones on the web, but they dodn’t seem to have a good schrapnel capacity.Any ideas for something not run of the mill?

Looking forward to the responses as ever,

Dan

donsimon
    Free Member

I never knew wallets were so complicated.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Blimey. Isn’t life complicated enough?

rOcKeTdOg

gboarder
    Free Member

The only way to go is Tumi – but sit down as it could cost you more than you have to put in it…….

mugsys_m8

hmmmmmmmmm….

You could be right. I think all preivous wallets have been presents that took time to grow on me…..

…I just thought that well this is STW world and there’s plenty of weird people on here…who might just have a wallet fetish, or wallet design company or something. There’s been huge threads about “what jeans for a 40 year old…”

rOcKeTdOg

The only way to go is Tumi

chuckle brothers design?

wallop

Is it likely to get wet?

donsimon
    Free Member

HermanShake
    Free Member

Swiss army knife+wallet=tactical wallet

DETAILS

Don’t get a Vans wallet, the coin bit is too small and it doesn’t close once you have a little stuff in it.

pedalhead
    Free Member

..and don’t buy a wallet whilst on holiday in Australia. Their notes are smaller than ours, as I discovered when I got home.

iDave
    Free Member

what is it with men who keep coins in a wallet? either get a woman’s purse or keep coins in your jeans pocket like proper blokes.

CountZero

Don’t get a Vans wallet, the coin bit is too small and it doesn’t close once you have a little stuff in it.

Ditto Oakley ones. I had a lovely woven carbon type wallet, and kept stuffing more and more crap into it, especially loose coins, until the zip broke. I replaced it with a Jimi wallet, which forced me to rationalise what I carry, five cards including drivers license and Oyster card, some notes and a couple of coffee shop loyalty cards. They do a version of the note clip which will carry a couple of SD cards as well. Loose change goes into a small drawstring bag that came with a pair of headphones. Frankly, I find this a much easier and tidier solution than a regular wallet bursting with trash. I managed to break my last Jimi, but found Cycle Surgery were doing them for £7.50, instead of the £11.50 I paid, so I bought two to keep one as a spare.

mugsys_m8

Hmmm the Jimi ones look interesting.

I wonder if I could instigate the introduction of a 1 euro note?

mugsys_m8

Is there anything like a jimi that can carry a bit of schrapnel?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Use your pockets.

expiscator
    Free Member

Mighty Wallet from Dynomighty.
    Clean, crisp and simple.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Christ, can people not just go and buy stuff now?, does everything have to be reviewed and rated?.

darrell
    Free Member

as I’m part of the middle class Rapha wearing elite that inhabits this here place I would recommend a nice Paul Smith wallet.

He’s a cyclist don’t you know

crikey
    Free Member

A wallet that you put coins in is a PURSE.

mugsys_m8

Thanks all, well not quite, but Hey Ho. Found lots of interesting ones. went for a
    Dosh Classic and am making the step at 34 years old to change (!) from boy to man by rationalising my schrapnel.

Cougar

+1 for iDave, stop putting wallet-destroying crap in your wallet.

Have you considered a man-bag?

alfabus
    Free Member
    derek_starship
    Free Member

Fossil do some nice wallets.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Not looked but anything here??
    http://www.blokesbags.co.uk/acatalog/Wallets.html

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Sorry, but wallets do not have a ‘schrapnel’ bit.

What you want is a purse my man lady.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

I bought one of those Jimi things for Mr MC and to be fair it was utter rubbish IMO.

randomjeremy
    Free Member

Aren’t man-purses wallets a bit, well, gay?. And that’s coming from a total gayer.

kiwijohn

How about a Dosh?

sc-xc

Agreed about the Jimi. Absolute rubbish. Only used for business cards and kept in the bottom of the laptop bag now.

finbar
    Free Member

what is it with men who keep coins in a wallet? either get a woman’s purse or keep coins in your jeans pocket like proper blokes.

I know this isn’t a bike forum or anything, but keeping coins in your pocket is so not appropriate for cycling.

ART

mugsy, worry not, you are in the right place… in fact I think I have the wallet you are after, although the schrapnel opening isn’t the right orientation 😉 it’s a black leather, animal one (which should be naff but actually isn’t) with a nice firm double press stud close and all the space for receipts and cards that you could want. Is kind rugged but smart all at the same time …. who knew 😯 Unfortunately I bought it years and years ago (still looking good you see) so have no idea whether they still do anything similar. I think the only answer here is to indulge your inner nerd and set out on a wallet finding mission but be prepared to compromise. Consider straying from the usual outdoorsy stores to places like white stuff and the like who do men’s accessories [ahem].

mugsys_m8

As I said above have gone for à Dosh Classic

I do have à man bag 😯 as live in France and have to cart car papers and all.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Kriega Stash – £9.00

MountainMutant
    Free Member

A Rapha Essentials case when on the bike.

Rapha/Paul Smith wallet for smart.

Kuco

I had one of those Jimi things ended up throwing it in the bin.

thomthumb
    Free Member

I’m one of these people who seem to carry around a load of schrapnel in my wallet rather than a set of crisp £20 notes.

what you are describing is a purse.

If you are over the age of 70 and refer to trousers as ‘slacks’ then it is entirely appropriate to have a purse and refer to it as one’s “coin purse” you must however have a wallet that goes with it.

If you are under 70 (and do not have ‘slacks’) then i can only suggest a ladies purse.

HTH 😉

crikey
    Free Member

Kriega Stash – £9.00

A small handbag? For a man?

Good grief.

Put your coins, and a gentleman should not be carting around the equivalent of a piggy bank, so that would be about £2.50, in the largest denomination possible, in your pocket.

On a bicycle, put it in your pocket.

If naked, tuck said coins under your foreskin.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a new wallet’ is closed to new replies.