• This topic has 49 replies, 42 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by gazc.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • Recommend me a new sport.
  • Smee
    Free Member

I fancy taking up a new sport – what do you suggest?

grumm
    Free Member

Which ones do you do already?

Smee
    Free Member

Kayaking, snowboarding, climbing as well as the obvious.

grumm
    Free Member

Always fancied some kind of 'flying', eg paragliding or something.

Albanach
    Free Member

If I'm right you live in the borders so how about some fly fishing? Wouldn't mind doing it myself.

northerndan
    Free Member

swim – doesn't cost a lot!

Smee
    Free Member

Moving away from the Borders soon and I've fished for 25yrs.

Smee
    Free Member

swim…

hmmm.

Triathlon might work.

tails
    Free Member

boxing? bmx?

Smee
    Free Member

How much would it cost to take up kite buggying?

5thElefant
    Free Member

Motocross.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Goan – Member

Kayaking, snowboarding, climbing as well as the obvious.

None of those are "sports" unless you are racing / in competitions – they are pastimes

Smee
    Free Member

And I have competed in all of them with varying levels of success.

Pigface
    Free Member

Motorcycle trials. Cheap as chips and bloody difficult.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Martial Arts, Aikido is my personal flavour so obviously, I'd recommend that although the attitude of the dojo counts for more than what art you do.

Smee
    Free Member

Onzadog – been there, done that, worn the scarf…

ahwiles
    Free Member

singlespeeding?

(runs away)

…seriously though, swimming is great. if you're new to it your technique WILL be awfull, consequently you'll spend all your energy just going very slowly, so it's a good workout. but you'll see quick improvements as your technique/fitness improve.

it's cheap.

i find it as good as yoga for mentally relaxing – 30mins thinking of very little else other than co-ordinating your movement and breathing.

and then you could enter a triathlon, but only if you promise not to take it too seriously.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Darts

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Kites – Great fun, lots of kit to pore over and lust after and spend your hard earned on! Just like bikes! Boards (land and water) and buggies if that's your choice.

steviegil
    Free Member

Shinty 😆

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Surfing (the proper stand up sort, not in a kayak!) or if you're not near a surf break then stand up paddle boarding would be a good compliment to your kayaking.

alwyn
    Free Member

Open water swimming.

There is nothing better than getting into a lake in the middle of nowhere with a swimming wetsuit and just swimming and swimming for hours. It is really amazing.

pacemaker
    Free Member

Kite buggying is quite cheap to get into (under £800) but if you end up getting into racing it is very expensive.

large kites can cost in the region £1000 and you need various sizes from small for strong winds to very large for light breezes.
    Then a race buggy can be another £1000 and then drysuit for endurance races on wet beaches, Helmets, Harnesses and PKA and club memberships.

But the feeling of steering with your feet at 60mph with no brakes a couple of inches off the sand really does take some beating!

thejesmonddingo

Try navel gazing,not competetive,but it will reduce the amount of noise on the forum,doesn't require any special equipment and is environmentally friendly.
    Ian

P.S. Sorry,you need a brain,obviously unsuitable.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Open water swimming aka "Wild" swimming seems to be all the rage ATM. I'm not keen on immersion personally but I can see the appeal of jumping into mountain tarns.

Boxing – yeah.

street luge – there's a cheapo version where you use a long board. Need appropriate roads. linky. Fancy a go myself.

chvck
    Free Member

Ultimate frisbee, it's a lot more knackering and difficult than you may think!

uponthedowns
    Free Member

+1 for paragliding

But don't tell my missus

hitman
    Free Member

If you like kayaking and snowboarding then surfing sounds ideal for you
    It similar to snowboarding but weight distribution is slightly different and more importantly, great fun
    If you live in Scotland then you have some great breaks on your doorstep

beinbhan

Rugby

fontmoss
    Free Member

maybe you should stop the sports side of things? clearly you are already too fit and competitive, i would suggest something different maybe take up some recreational drugs and/or comparing strip clubs?

i could, entirely to help you of course, help with the latter 😀

alwyn
    Free Member

Enduro motorbiking?

0091paddy
    Free Member

anything that isn't triathlon.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Airgun target shooting. Check out http://www.ukahft.co.uk

Great fun and competitive but loads of good banter

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Motorcycle trials. Cheap as chips and bloody difficult

Wish I'd kept riding. Rode from 1974 to about 1988, best times of my life without a doubt & wish I could re-live it all (ahhhh)
    Cheap nowadays? Hardly call it cheap.

geoffj

cage fighting

Spaceman
    Free Member

Base jumping, suit you down to the ground.

Or (slightly more dangerous) since you live in the Borders what about rugby? Walkerburn are so poor they will give anyone a game.

whosthedaddy
    Free Member

How about actually learning to ride a bike properly 😉

RealMan
    Free Member

theres other sports???

genesis
    Free Member

Mountainboarding

ajf
    Free Member

Fell running? If your climbing, and mountain biking you are likely to be in the hills anyway and will benefit your biking as well?

Plus its a great sport! But I may be biased.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a new sport.’ is closed to new replies.