Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Recommend me a new bike please!
  • relliott6879
    Free Member

I’ve been out of mountain biking for a few years now and I’m looking to take it back up, I’ve pretty much lost touch with the bikes though and the choice nowadays is pretty bewildering!

My preferred riding has always erred on the XC side of things, I like to keep my wheels mostly on the ground and probably get as much satisfaction from making it to the top of a long fireroad climb first as some do from nailing massive jumps.

I’m after something with full suspension and probably 29″ wheels, but – bearing the above in mind – I want it to be reasonably light (definitely under 30lb) and relatively short travel. It doesn’t need to be an all-out XC race bike, more something that I can spend a day round a trail centre on without either cursing the weight or wishing I had something more forgiving down the bumpy descents.

I have no particular brand in mind, but hydraulic discs and Shimano gears are a must.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

What’s your budgie?

relliott6879
    Free Member

I don’t really have one. Whatever I get, I’d probably do on monthly instalments and I’d be buying it to keep for a good few years rather than trading up/on every couple of years.

somouk
    Free Member

Budget will be the biggest issue.

I’ll do the typical STW thing though and recommend a WHYTE T129s as that’s what I have and apart from the sub 30lb thing is pretty much ideal for what you want.

z1ppy

See I disagree with Somouk and suggest the Whyte M-109 instead 😉
    Bargain here:
    http://www.cyclesurgery.com/whyte%20m-109%202014/whyte-mtb-full-suspension-bikes/bikes-components-bikewear/fcp-product/52472
    XC-ish geometry but without being stupidly steep, a fast fun bike I thought

Though if your feeling flusher, the carbon version looks lovely.

somouk
    Free Member

See I disagree with Somouk and suggest the Whyte M-109 instead

That’s probably not a bad shout to sneak in under 30lb and have sensible kit.

relliott6879
    Free Member

I like the look of the 109.

mrblobby
    Free Member

If you have a good LBS then they’ve probably got something in the range to suit that you could take for a spin. May be worth it for advice and support. Or maybe find a local demo day?

Usual STW answers are a Giant Anthem X, Whyte something or other. Maybe a Spesh Epic or Stumpy. Really are loads of options out there. Some of the German direct sales ones like Canyon may be worth a look if you want the best spec for the least cash. Any brand preference?

mikey74
    Free Member

Giant Anthem?

Edit: Oops, predicted by blobby

relliott6879
    Free Member

I’m completely open to brands; weight and ‘feel’ are my priorities. I have to be able to climb without feeling the suspension is sapping half my pedalling effort or that I’m dragging a dead weight, but it needs enough travel to take a reasonable amount of sting out of bumpy descents and, in truth, compensate to a certain extent for my lack of line choosing skill! I’ve not swung a leg over a bike in at least three years so I’m definitely going to be a bit rusty.

mikey74
    Free Member

Well the Maestro suspension system on Giants (or other manufacturer’s variations) may be what you are looking at. I have a Trance which climbs very well but probably has more travel than you want, hence why I suggested the Anthem.

Edit: I can recommend Pedalon if going the 0% finance route,

mrblobby
    Free Member

May be worth having a quick look through this thread and the follow up.

dave32
    Free Member

Bmc speedfox or trek fuel ex,seen some good reviews on the latest speedfox…

relliott6879
    Free Member

I’ve just been out to Evans in Glasgow but, to be honest, it was a bit of a fruitless trip. The only bikes they had in stock were either engineless motocrossers with miles of travel or hardtails and the sales assistant’s advice didn’t extend much beyond “Have a look on our website”.

Reading some online reviews, the BMC Speedfox XT is looking promising. The Giant Anthem X 29er isn’t really floating my boat as the componentry spec seems quite low in some areas. The Orange Sector did initially catch my eye but I ruled it out on reading that it is quite heavy and has rather slack frame angles. I like the look of the Whyte 109, but they seem to have dropped the aluminium framed version for 2015.

Does anyone have any experience of either the Kona Hei Hei or GT Helion? I’ve had a couple of Kona hardtails in the past also a GT XCR full sus when they first came out.

iainc

As you’re in Glasgow worth having a look in Dales and Alpine, and if mobile, Sprockets in Kilmarnock. Lots of choice, good staff and some great deals (all are good shops with great brands)

relliott6879
    Free Member

Cheers, I’ll give them a look.

What are peope’s thoughts on the Cube Stereo 120 HPA Race 29?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Just get out and ride a few and don’t just decide based on the spec list, makes hardly any difference if it’s got an SLX or an XT rear mech!

z1ppy

I like the look of the Whyte 109, but they seem to have dropped the aluminium framed version for 2015.

Hense the bargain Cyclesurgery 2014 models, still a great buy IMO.

relliott6879
    Free Member

The Cube Stereo 120 Super HPC Race 29 is catching my eye. Apart from the rather convoluted name it looks to be a decent package that ticks all my boxes. The reviews I’ve read suggest it’s biased toward climbing over descending too, which is just what I’m after.

http://www.cube.eu/uk/bikes/fullsuspension/stereo/cube-stereo-120-super-hpc-race-29-black-flashred-2015/

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a new bike please!’ is closed to new replies.