Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Recommend me a kite
  • wooobob

Any advice on kites? I fancy a power kite, I’ll spend up to about 70 quid. Are they all much of a muchness at that level or can I get a particularly good one? Ta folks.

sam_underhill

Ivordere got an HQ beamer 4m. It’s a bit powerful when the wind gets up to but it is predictable, easy to fly in light winds and will be suitable for light traction work if I ever have time. Great value as well. Check out powerkiteshop.

josh1982
    Free Member

i have 6.5m peter lynn pepper i would like rid of. need new stings and killers if your intrested?

CountZero

Flexifoil kites are the original airfoil power kites and still up there with the best. I’ve got a six foot one I bought at a hang gliding meet down at Mere in Somerset, somewhere in the mid-70’s. I remember they had a stack of nine or ten kites that towed a Microbus up a slope. http://www.flexifoil.com/uk/

TiRed

Do you want a “rip my arms off and drag me down the field” kite, or something to learn flying skills?

For the money, i’d recommend an HQ Symphony 1.8 sqm. Two lines means easy to set up. Kite folds and packs down well, flies smoothly and is generally unbreakable. Started my kids on a smaller version and have been impressed by their general build quality. Now they fly my Rev!

Of course you could just go and buy a large quad Flexifoil. Good flying characteristics, nice build. But lethal in unskilled hands!

wooobob

Thanks all. Thinking about one of 2m or thereabouts. Anything much bigger at the mo seems like overkill – once I know what I’m doing then I can upgrade.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

It would be easier to just burn your money now!

Welcome to another expensive hobby!

Decathlon do some very good value smaller two line kites.

As above though, bigger kites can be lethal! Start small, and then wooooooooooo!

Klunk
    Free Member

i’ve got a flexifoil, 6ft i think, great laugh for a while but IMO they don’t have that much longer term appeal. One piece of advice is to get some stout boots with plenty ankle support. When you start getting more air in high winds your ankles/feet take a right pummelling.

adam_h
    Free Member

Flexifoil Big Buzz. A touch over 2m and only £65 ready to fly.

oldgrump08
    Free Member

This company is good – happy to chat without pushing a sale.

saladdodger
    Free Member

I have a 140cm power kits and I can not fly it any websites with advice you lot can recommend please

alpin
    Free Member

i’d start with a proper 4-line kite. 2-liners are ok, but you have less control.

with a 4-line kite you can hold the kite by applying the ‘brake’ lines. this means you can also stake it down relatively safely when it’s not in use and you can right it after a crash (takes a little practice).

look at the HQ Beamer kites. as said above, they are predictable and not punchy – that is they fly slow and do not jump so hard when they hit the ‘power zone’ (you will learn all of this later). i’ve got one which i learnt on and still gives to friends who want to give it a go.

do not look at any lifty kites such as Flexifoil Blade. you will do yourself an injury.

i would recommend that you get some ‘kite killers’ from Flexifoil. these are a safety device which attach to the brake lines and your wrists. they’ll stop the kite disappearing over fields or taking out a family picnic in te event that you cock it up.

also look at helmets. you might feel like a pleb standing there in the middle of a field flying a kite whilst wearing a helmet, but you can easily be caught off-guard and thrown to the floor with force. a pisspot will do.

find somewhere free of trees, buildings, pylons or rugby posts. you’ll want a large field that doesn’t suffer from turbulence. a beach is the best bet, but make sure it is an on-shore wind.

@ saladdodger…. many moons ago i found a site Racekites.com to be helpful. don’t know what it is like now.

wooobob

Hmmm. This could get expensive! Might look at 4-Line ones too then. Have more options further down the line (pardon the pun). I want something that will stay challenging for a while. Saw one of these hq alphas which looks good

grantway
    Free Member

So what is the best or the easiest kite to fly for a land board also to be used on its own.
    I take its a traction kit. but where do i start?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a kite’ is closed to new replies.