Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Recommend me a " how to make gates " book.
  • tymbian
    Free Member

Can’t be that hard shirley. I recently bought and fitted this gate for a client. Although very well made and the Client being v. happy with it the gate/s without hinges, fixings etc cost over a £1000. I think it’s a lot of money considering the diagonal braces are only screwed ( not tenon/ mortice/ pegged )

wrightyson
    Free Member

You’re asking a lot of those hinges 😯

tymbian
    Free Member

Why??? the left hinges are 1.2M long ( adjustable hook and band).

not your B&Q black T-hinge

br
    Free Member

Its the brickwork/morter that’ll struggle – is there any central support?

tymbian
    Free Member

12mm Stainless threaded rod 150mm long, drilled 16mm, sleeved and set in epoxy resin.

robido

have they sagged yet

wrightyson
    Free Member

I’d see the left gate sagging over time. The fixings are quite close to the edge of the pier. Did you resin and threaded bar or just use rag bolts? I’d hardly suggest there’s any centre support as the piers look 50+ years old. Nice gates tho…

slackalice
    Free Member

Are they softwood?

From your previous posts Tymbian, you sound well clued up about wood and constructing stuff with it. I would imagine you could make some gates that wont sag using your experience and knowledge.

Funnily enough, I’m in the process of restoring some oak gates at the moment, they dont have any diagonal bracing, but the top, middle and lower rails are nicely morticed and tenoned and held with double pegs in each joint. These heavy gates haven’t sagged, they’re probably about 40 years old, the issue with these is rot in the lower rails and styles.

tymbian
    Free Member

i went back after a month and they’re spot on.

slackalice
    Free Member

Fit a jockey wheel to the left hand gate. No problem.

wrightyson
    Free Member

All good then sir nothing to see here.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I surprised you haven’t fitted a gate wheel. You’re asking a lot of the diagonal bracing. imo

EDIT : As suggested by slackalice

wrightyson
    Free Member

The wheel is a good idea, purely for when you get little scrotes like my son who would have to swing on them 👿

tymbian
    Free Member

I couldn’t find a jockey-wheel that I could set the height of the wheel. All the Jockey-wheels I saw had a wheel on a spring thus continually forcing the gate upwards.

@ slack..yes, treated softwood. probably Conifer. Hence I do expect them to sag over time. ( nothing adjustable hinges can’t sort )

So any suggestions on books?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a " how to make gates " book.’ is closed to new replies.