Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Recommend me a flat pedal…
  • SamB
    Free Member

…for general DH/EnduroGnar duties. I’ve got Saints at the moment, and I love the grip and feel but they’re just a fraction too small. If I could find the same thing but ~5mm bigger in the platform they’d be perfect.

I’ve also been using Atomlab Aircorps for ages, lovely feeling pedal but not built massively well as they develop play in the bushings very quickly. But for feel, the platform is great. If I could get them with decent bearings they’d be ideal too.

I’ve never been a fan of DMRs – my old V12s worked fine, they just didn’t feel particularly good underfoot. Similar for Wellgo MG1s, well made and nice and light but just didn’t feel as good as the Atomlabs underfoot.

So what should I be looking at? Not overly fussed about price if it’s The One True Pedal, I can handle an investment for something that will get used.

honourablegeorge

DMR Vault

Won this group test. Ace pedals. I run three sets, all been great. Oldest set is on their third bike, still on original bearings

http://enduro-mtb.com/en/flat-pedal-group-test/

mattyfez

I’m very pleased with the nano x I recently fitted, it was bound to be an improvement over the stock low end wellgo I had, but its a nice big platform, which I thought might be an issue but hasn’t.
    Comes with long and short studs so put on what you want.

Also can be had for £30 with the frequent discount codes.

There’s nothing not to like to be honest.

Tracey

Kevin has been impressed with the life and quality of his Specialized Bennies far better than his Burgtec ones. This weekend he bought another bike and fitted them with Specialized Boomslangs. The grip on them is far superior to any other pedal I have tried but they are too big for my dainty size fours

andysredmini
    Free Member

Hope f20. They are really well made and my 2 pairs are still running as smooth as the day I bought them. One pair is 2 years old and has been used in the worst of the weather. They are not as big or grippy as the vault but I think that’s a good thing. I’m not a fan of the vaults. The quality isn’t great and they just don’t feel good underfoot.

dudeofdoom

+1 for nano X

Tracey

Got a new pair of black Hopes still in the box that need selling when I get round to it

preciousmetals
    Free Member

How about Deity Compounds, they’re larger footprint is good and they skim rather than dig into rocks etc.

I just purchased a set of Hopes and am very dissapointed with the type of pins they use.
    Great pedals apart from that.

andysredmini
    Free Member

Which pins do you have? the old solid or now longer hollow pins?
    I prefer the old solid pins as the new hollow ones are too grippy.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Well after 8 years of hard use, the bushes were quick to change (bearing free).

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Loved my vaults, concave platform super grippy and comfy, but they go rattly quickly, and are a bit emmenthal in the body. If mine hadn’t snapped, I’d have recommended them like I have before.

Got a pair of penthouse mk4 coming, as my mate got me a great deal on them. Gamut podium were up there for consideration, but my lbs got a set back after 3 rides last week, and the bearings felt horrific.

preciousmetals
    Free Member

I must have the closed end pins which I slip off on the rough stuff

andysredmini
    Free Member

That’s the old type pins. The new hollow ones have been supplied as standard for quite a while now so you may have bought a set that have been sitting round for a while. Not that they will be any worse off for it apart from the pin type. You can buy a set of hollow pins them as a replacement. I would try speaking to where you bought them and question why they are not the new type.

Edit. Not to be presumptuous but it’s technique that keeps your feet stuck to the pedals more than the pins. They just help. In my experience the people who want the absolute maximum grip from massive pedals and the stickiest shoes need to improve their technique.

preciousmetals
    Free Member

Yes as they are orange ones and got them only a couple of months back.

Ridden them three times on short rides and keep getting kicked off them and definitely prefered hooliw thread pins as per DMR V12s.

Thankyou for that Andy, I shall get on the case as don’t wish to sell them this soon on and they are well made and look to have good sealing.

Edit) I do too realise it comes down to technique which is main factor but never had issues with dmr v12 pins using same shoes. Five tens

mikey74
    Free Member

I’ve got both Vaults and SS Nanos and far prefer the Vaults: The Nanos are huge [too big] and the Vaults have a better shape.

psycorp
    Free Member

I’ve gone from Saints to Nano X’s and thought the larger size might be a problem, but I’m loving them.

The shorter of the two sets of pins are longer than the Saints without the spacers and provide plenty of grip.

handyandy
    Free Member

another +1 for the vaults.

The Wellgo B54’s I’ve got on my hardtail are pretty decent, but not sure if you can still get them

Scratch that, it might be the B143’s I’ve got, doh

longmover
    Free Member

Deity Decoy, loads of grip, very strong, good size.

tmb467
    Free Member

If you’re near West Yorkshire you can try a pair of burgtec mk4s

nwill1
    Free Member

Vaults…simply brilliant!

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

I run Point One Podium pedals and love them to bits! I suppose they’re sold as Gamuts now. I also have an old pair of MX30 Shimanos that are well over a decade old and are technically fine, but looking tatty. I may replace the Shimanos with another pair of podiums, or I’m half tempted to try the Raceface Atlas guys…

SamB
    Free Member

Vaults are sounding like a solid choice so far… also like the idea of the Brendawwwwg option with extra-gnar pins if I need it.

Anyone got any experience of the Race Face Atlas? They look very nice and seem to review well, a bit more expensive than the Vaults though!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Vaults are sounding like a solid choice so far

As I said, I loved my vaults, but ‘solid’ isn’t the best word for them!

BoardinBob

Nukeproof Electrons or the Superstar copy.

Crazy light, very tough, loads of grip, dirt cheap.

keithyr
    Free Member

have a look at the nukeproof horizons.

went from vaults to saints to these, really impressed with them.

honourablegeorge

Nobeerinthefridge – Member

As I said, I loved my vaults, but ‘solid’ isn’t the best word for them!

Found mine very solid, have clattered them off all sorts over the years.

There was an early version that broke easily, they had a subtle redesign to remove a weak spot, but that was shortly after they came out.

benmotogp46
    Free Member

I’ve been running Shimano Saints for the past year and they’ve been great. I had DMR V12’s before but prefer the Saints. Great pedal.

daver27
    Free Member

Specialized Boomslang. End of debate.

mudfish

The DMR Vaults are very good and nothing like the old ones like V12’s etc, for bulletproofness you’ll want Burgtec Penthouse Flats. Lovely those are.

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

Original superstar nano are great and cheap but if willing to spend the vaults cant be matched. Love them and really easy to service.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Really like my Vaults. I have them on both bikes and find them very grippy and comfy. The shape feels good under foot.

The Spesh pedals get good reviews (I have some Bennies in the spares box, but I switched them for Vaults).

RF pedals are good but very expensive. I had the cheaper Aeffect ones and really liked them.

sharkattack

I now have two pairs of Vaults. The new set just had their first outing today on the Pleney in the filthiest conditions possible. Didn’t stop to think about grip even though my Nike’s are shot..

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a flat pedal…’ is closed to new replies.