Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Recommend me a 'down' jacket that…..
  • esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Packs down well, does the job of keeping one warm. Budget £80-140.

Looked at 3 in Cotswold today, a RAB with no hood (Generator?) A North Face something or another reduced to £140 from £190 & an Ayacucho Atlas at £140.
    Anything else looking good?
    I realise that different fibres/fillings maybe cheaper/dearer & am open to advice BTW.

scotroutes

I still swear by my Montane Prism (in fact I have two now). Not as warm as down but more packable, washable and less affected by damp. I guess it all depends on just how warm you need it to be though. Shop around and you should find one for around £80.

In fact… http://www.milletsports.co.uk/more-sports/outdoor/clothing/mens/jackets/montane-prism-mens-jacket/

GregMay
    Free Member

If you want packable look at anything with Primaloft 1 – so the Montane Prism or Patagonia Nanopuff.

I’ve had my nanopuff 18months, I had its predecessor (which died after 7 years in a flamey death) – buy one. They are probably my favourite bit of kit I own.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Nice one Col! I’ll look at that. I’m thinking about one for that trip up your way in 3 weeks time!
    (I did Email you) 🙂

tang
    Free Member

I have a patagonia nano puff hoody. Lovely versatile jacket. Also have the ultra light down, very good.
    Both on sale here(where I get my patagonia bits).
    http://www.themountainfactor.com/shop/brand/patagonia

brooess
    Free Member

My North Face is 10 years old now and still going strong – no major feather leakage.
    No hood and a little short on the arms but overall, still very happy with it

BillMC

Mrs MC’s Alpkit down jacket is noticeably nicer than my RAB one.

scotroutes

Oh? I must have missed it. Try again??

sambob
    Free Member

I wear my Montane Prism ALL the time, it really needs washing though as it’s pretty disgusting at the moment. Lots of very similar jackets about, Rab Xenon, ME Fitzroy (slightly warmer at 100gm insulation in the torso rather than 60 for the prism, but more expensive as a result). I’d go for synthetic over down as there’s no need to worry about getting it wet and it turning to sludge.

butcher

I’ve never heard of Primaloft until now. Is it just as light as down?

shaggy

Primaloft isn’t as light as down for the same warmth. It is warm when wet though and easier to look after.

The sale stuff on the Patagonia website is pretty good at the moment.

scotroutes

Weight for warmth, good down probably still wins. The convenience factor of Primaloft scores highly though, especially in any environment in which water is involved.

There’s now a nice hybrid bag available – the ME Matrix. It has down on top and Primaloft on the bottom. The latter still retains some insulating properties even when compressed so works well as a bottom layer.

sambob
    Free Member

It comes in sheets of varying thickness, which are then sewn into the jacket, meaning whilst you could have a synthetic jacket lighter than a down one, it wouldn’t be as warm for a given weight. However, it has the benefit of not throwing out insulation if you rip the outer material.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Scotroutes, YGM.

Nipper99
    Free Member

I got a rab generator gillet for summer and a generator jacket for winter – no hood but greater weight of insulation for the same price as the montane.

CraigW
    Free Member

If you want it rather warm, look at the Keela Belay jacket. It is 133g Primaloft, so heavier than most, and fairly bulky. Maybe too warm for most weather. You can get one for about £60.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Cheers Craig, probably used in Scotland in Autumn & Spring but not January in the Cairngorms! Needs to be bike-packable?

beefheart
    Free Member

Mountain equipment xero- toasty warm and packs light.
    I’ve had one for a few years, and would recommend it.
    Down from £240 to 160 at Cotswold outdoor.
    http://m.cotswoldoutdoor.com/mountain-equipment-mens-xero-hooded-jacket-1b110586?id_colour=162

CountZero

If you want cheap, but with a surprising amount of warmth, the Uniqlo ULD range are worth looking at:
    http://www.uniqlo.com/uk/store/list/basic/men/outerwear/ultralightdown
    I’ve got a gilet, a parka and a jacket, and for their weight, they really do keep the warmth in.

meribelmtb
    Free Member

Look for the best deal you can on a RAB Microlight Alpine Jacket. Packs down nice and small, well made, fits under a shell, works well if it gets wet and is just about the best bit of kit I own. Pretty much live in it during the winter. I don’t reckon there is a better mid weight down jacket out there.

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/rab-microlight-alpine-jacket-p282553

nedrapier

Arcteryx Atom is a great choice too. Long slim body. I’ve got the vest and it’s seriously toasty. In sale at facewest. Nice soft face fabric that’s got some water resistance too.

http://www.facewest.co.uk/Arcteryx-SS14-Atom-LT-Hoody.html

kjcc25
    Free Member

Rohan, very light, very warm and good price. My wife has had one for a couple of years and loves it. I’ve just got one.

http://www.rohan.co.uk/mens-bargain-travel-and-outdoor-clothing-in-the-souk-Nightfall-Jacket?ocode=03511A76

dknwhy

I’ve got a montane fireball smock that I use for bikepacking and hiking trips. There’s a blue one here in xl for £65:
    montane

bennn
    Free Member

I’ve got a Mountain Equipment Fitzroy jacket, which is Primaloft insulation, and is plenty warm with just a t-shirt underneath.

In fact one of the only times I have worn a jumper underneath it was about -20 or something silly in Chamonix. Packs down tightly into a (provided) stuff sack too.

If you haven’t guessed already, I recommend.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Only 1 tiny mention of Alpkit!
    their filo is good value.
    Remember that all of the cheaper jackets are stitched through rather than box constructed. That means thinner bits which of course are not as warm.
    2 years ago when it was properly cold I wore my Prism under my Filo. snuggly 😆
    Go Outdoors do their own brand which doesn’t look bad value.

Stoner
    Free Member

One of the best bits of technical kit I own. Not cheap and a bit of a “special” item. But great technical characteristics.

A Klattermusen Liv down smock
    http://klattermusen.se/produktsida.php?lang=en&ID=1015&sex=2&curr=EUR

I can pack my XL into a pint pot. I was wearing mine last night while out on the malvern hills watching the fireworks championships above Eastnor Park. Toastie. Great two season evening jacket and in winter it goes under my rain shell.

MoreCashThanDash

Sad his ‘n’ hers Alpkit Filo wearers here….

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

GregMay – Member
    If you want packable look at anything with Primaloft 1 – so the Montane Prism or Patagonia Nanopuff.

I love mine so much I just bought another (Macpac). Use it all the time. Also got a Mammut winter thickness, which is also great. Not sure for me whether a Primaloft 1 jacket would cut the mustard on a wild camp tho, unless it was mid summer.

To OP
    Personally, if weight and pack size is critical, then I’d still go with a down jacket and just make sure it doesn’t get wet. TNF and Rab you listed are good and add Alpkit, Mountain Equipment. PHD use the best quality down and materials, but you pay for it.
    In synthetic, Montane if you’re on a budget, Mountain Equipment Fitzroy is often recommended by climbers (ME Compressor is their thinner version). Pretty much anything using Primaloft.

ds3000
    Free Member

I love winter jacket threads.

franksinatra

I love my montane prism, it is like wearing a cuddle and will do everything you describe.

DaveRambo

I have a North Face Thermoball jacket.
    Very warm even when it gets wet and also very light and packs down small.

I have a blue one with hood. highly recommended

Stoner
    Free Member

I can pack my XL into a pint pot

I was just re-reading that and thinking, “nice turn of phrase, but is it accurate?”

So I thought I’d check.

It actually takes 2 pints. I reckon with something not made of glass and some compression straps I could nearly squooosh it into a pint and a half. certainly Mrs Stoner’s size small I could.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

I love my montane prism, it is like wearing a cuddle and will do everything you describe.

I’m sold! 😀

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Some good recommendations here fellas, thank you all! I’ll let you know what I end up with. Calling at Go Outdoors at Teesside on Wednesday. 😆

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Ok, went for the Rab Microlight Alpine at Go Outdoors. Was up for £162 but the very helpful lass said ‘look on Nevis Sports site cos we can price match’, so I did & it was £152. She double checked & I ended up paying £137.68!?
    Happy days. Nearly went for the Prism mind.

Ta for the help fellas.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Nice, I nearly bought a Rab Microlight Alpine, but decided to go with synthetic jackets cos we use them on the boat when waterskiing and everything gets wet.

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

Rab hoody one and it does the business as well as being packable. Picked up from the sale rail at Go Outdoors which is always worth raking through

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a 'down' jacket that…..’ is closed to new replies.