Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Wasp nest in attic – can I deal with myself?
  • dannyh
    Free Member

I’ve just found a wasp nest about the size of a cricket ball in our loft.

Can I deal with this safely myself with a can of Raid and some long sleeves / trousers?

Any opinions gratefully accepted.

MSP

A can of wd40, a cigarette lighter and a video camera is the proper equipment for dealing with such things.

dashed
    Free Member

Get proper wasp nest stuff – aerosol that you can spray from about 15 feet away. Works well and keeps you away from angry wasps!

zippykona

I tried, was chased by wasps ,jumped off the ladder, tore my acl, off work for a month, hundreds of pounds worth of physio.
    Pay the man £35 quid and have it done properly!

seosamh77
    Free Member

MSP – Member
    A can of wd40, a cigarette lighter and a video camera is the proper equipment for dealing with such things.

this sounds like the way forward to me. make sure your WD40 can has one of the wee straws attached to give you some distance from the wasps! 😆

jambourgie
    Free Member

Try and get it without setting fire to it. Wrap the whole nest, wasps and all in a jiffy bag and send to:

The Sun
    Freepost
    London
    E98 1AX

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I had one in the spare room, did it with a can of raid and just kept spraying it in the room and closing the door, then going back and doing it again a few hours later, until there was no sign of life anymore.

longj
    Free Member

As long as they aren’t getting into the house just leave it. They will move on eventually.

Swelper
    Free Member

jota180
    Free Member

I’ve done a couple in the past with the spray can stuff
    Make sure you wait until they have all gone back in for the night

dannyh
    Free Member

I’m going to wait until all the little buggers are back in there tonight and then they’re getting the foam spray stuff. Can’t leave them as we are moving house in a week or so and I need to clear our stuff out of that loft space.

As Tony Montana said:

Say hello to my little friend…………….

mattsccm
    Free Member

Wait until they are asleep. Gentle music, whales singing or a football match may help. Encase it in a plastic bag and yank it of the wall. I suggest gloves, hat, goggles for full body coverage. Spray chemicals at any escapees. That a tiny little thing.
    When I moved into my house I peered into the unlit attic and wondered why there was a spare hot water tank in there. It was genuinely that big.When we had the roof done a few years ago we shovelled it out into several wheel barrows. Luckily it was dead.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Or leave it if you can until the end of the season when the wasps leave the nest and remove it.

MSP

I suggest gloves, hat, goggles for full body coverage.

No no no. angry wasps like to get inside clothing, better to be naked, so they have nowhere to hide while stinging you.

natrix
    Free Member

better to be naked, so they have nowhere to hide while stinging you.

Agreed 😀 Make sure you post a video here afterwards 😛

ufitsy
    Free Member

I paid the £40 (gone up!) – the geezer told me that people get far more injuries panicing trying to get away.

dingabell
    Free Member

I had one in the loft.
    Crept up the loft ladder, twatted it with a golf club then ran away very fast.
    Sorted.

Drac

Had one in our utility room a few weeks ago. Knocked it to the ground and stamped on it.

dannyh
    Free Member

Just done the biz. Got dressed up like some horrible urban guerrilla crossed with man at C&A and gave it a gratuitously generous coating of the killer shaving foam. Didn’t see a single wasp whilst doing it, so I guess they were all inside asleep.

I’ll have a check in the morning and get rid.

sweepy
    Free Member

A cricket bat is the aproved implement, but I generally manage an uneasy truce.

dannyh
    Free Member

Found a second nest this morning, but have blitzed them every twenty minutes or so since 11am. No further sightings for over an hour now.

Got em all!

scaredypants

Drac – Moderator
    Had one in our utility room a few weeks ago. Knocked it to the ground and stamped on it

Is today your first day of being able to type again ? 😀

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Wasp nest in attic – can I deal with myself?’ is closed to new replies.