• This topic has 20 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by LoCo.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Recommend me a (cycling related) book
  • mrjmt
    Free Member

I’ve got a 6 1/2 hr train journey tomorrow and then same back on Thursday.

Not that I want to avoid talking to colleagues, but if I accidentally sat in the ‘wrong’ carriage with a book, what should that book be?

Thinking something like a Froome biography or similar.

Don’t particularly want a ‘riding round the world’ type story unless it doesn’t come with the usual air of arrogance that can accompany them!

More interested in reading about road riders than MTB too.

Oh, and I need to be able to pick it up in waterstones as its rather last minute!

globalti
    Free Member

Autobiographies can be hard work; there are lots by otherwise unremarkable retired pros.

The Escape Artist by Matt Seaton, one of the best books about road-riding obsession ever written. It explains a lot about cycling lore and traditions such as leg-shaving and has a shocking end. Non-fiction. But it will only take you 3-4 hours to read because it’s a small book and you’ll be enthralled so I would also recommend:

How I Won the Yellow Jumper by Ned Boulting. About the life of a TV journalist during the intense three weeks of the Tour de France. Hilarious, one anecdote about Chris Boardman had me giggling for 15 minutes.

LoCo
    Free Member

Faster by Michael Hutchinson is great, just on my second read through.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It’s not about the bike/Every second counts

bigmandh
    Free Member

Graeme obree flying Scotsman is good. A lot more insight into his illness,depression and suicidal tendencies than u get in the film. Quite incredible really.

mrjmt
    Free Member

Great, I’ll note them down and go have a look at which ones are on the shelf.

Thanks very much. 😀

thestabiliser
    Free Member

The Death of Marco Pantani

Merchant-Banker
    Free Member

Land Of Second Chances is a good read,

Macavity
    Free Member
    mr_stru

Domestique by Charlie Wegelius is good and a bit different from the usual “and then I won this and then I won that” cycling bio. Similarly A Dog in a Hat is good.

And there’s The Racer by Tim Krabbe if you fancy fiction.

Etape by Richard Moore is also good for train journeys as each chapter is distinct so you can dip in and out of it easily.

binners

A really interesting read on the rise and rise of Team GB from laughably amateurish also-rans to the force they are now

YoKaiser
    Free Member

William Fotheringham
    Fallen Angel: The Passion of Fausto Coppi

Brilliantly written and an amazing story. Cycling’s greatest imo.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Oh and The Rider by Tim Krabbe. Might only last one way but it’s so good you’d read it again.

bazzer
    Free Member

Gironimo Tim Moore

Very funny and very interesting.

Macavity
    Free Member

Nicole Cooke interview

cinnamon_girl

Another vote for The Breakaway by Nicole Cooke and it’s the positively bargaintastic sum of £7.24 including postage from this link:

https://wordery.com/the-breakaway-nicole-cooke-9781471130359

What an eye opener to how the wimminz were treated and she does not mince her words!

TiRed

Hoy’s biography is very good. So is Charlie Wegelius’s Domestique. The second is a little less rose-tinted. Pro Cycling om $10/day is also very entertaining.

Quite from Charly

…I was lying on my bed in the afternoon before the race. Axel had gone down the corridor for his massage and the phone rang. A man’s voice asked if Axel was there, and I said ‘No, he went for a massage.’ The voice replied, ‘Never mind, good luck for tomorrow-tell him his dad called.’ I said , ‘Yeah, no problem,’ and put the phone down before I suddenly realized: F##k me, that was Eddy Merckx!

##There is quite a lot of swearing in the book 😉

EDIT: And for some history (and one race per chapter), I would suggest The Monuments. especially at this time of year.

lunge

Faster by Michael Hutchinson is great, just on my second read through.

Seconded, great read, particularly if you have a geeky interest in numbers and performance.

chakaping
    Free Member

+1 for Domestique or Faster if you can find them, both significantly better than the average bikey book.

chakaping
    Free Member

Or The Secret Race if you haven’t read that yet.

LoCo
    Free Member

It may have been your recommendation a month or so back Lunge, that put me onto Faster, ta! Starting to look for even geekier books on the subject now 😀

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a (cycling related) book’ is closed to new replies.