• This topic has 23 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by dano.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • recommend me a cross bike
  • organic355
    Free Member

thinking about getting one for commuting, what are the models I should be looking at?

Probably on C2W so up to £1000.

aP
    Free Member

Pick a colour. Find a bike that matches.

organic355
    Free Member

surely not any frame geometry is suited to a cross bike?

aP
    Free Member

If you're just going to comute on it – find a frame, traditionally 1 – 2cm smaller than your road bike size if you're going to race, and then build up from there.
    Why not go to your LBS and ask their opinion?

Chris_Cov_Cycles
    Free Member

Scott CX Comp, Moda Leggato (bit over budget tho') and Genesis Vapour are all great do-it-all cxers – have a look at the Genesis Croix de Feur

Chris

crikey
    Free Member

surely not any frame geometry is suited to a cross bike?

Eh?

If you are buying a 'cross bike' then you'll get the geometry it comes with….

As above if you race it, then it becomes more important, but just to go to work on, you'd be better off on a bike that takes mudguards straight off.

ojom
    Free Member

May i suggest the Surly Cross Check…

sockpuppet
    traildog
    Free Member

What do you want from a commuting bike? For example, you might want mud guards, water bottle mounts, ability to run panniers, off road ability, comfort etc. etc.

Everyone has a different set of priorities. I really like the Scott CX I have and find it great handling. Before that I had a Trek X0. As a commuter, the Trek was better, but the Scott works for me as a miles better race bike and I love riding it more.

Personally, if I was just after a commuter, I'd probably get a tough touring frame.

aP
    Free Member

Today I rode in on my bmc cross bike (purely because with nicely aged michelin mud tyres it works in slushy/icy conditions), however for normal commuting I have a Trek Portland with full guards and panniers.

oldgit
    Free Member

Agree
    You don't seem to notice the subtle differences that you would with a choice of road bikes.
    I did recently have (RIP) an old stell cross bike, it was too dated for racing but still lovely to ride and more forgiving on MTB routes than it's modern counterparts.
    For what you want;
    Genesis Kona or ultra cheap Graham Weigh frame with a Tiagra groupset, Dead kit and budget wheels. They have mental clearances and take guards.

organic355
    Free Member

Liking the look of the surly, the scott and the genenis.

I normally commute on my road bike, but its getting trashed and I cant fit panniers to it.

I defo want dropped bars and the "racer" style, ability to fit panniers and mudguards would be good (not too fussed about the mudguards as I usually wear waterproofs when its bad). if it could look cool that would be a bonus too 😀

wwaswas

what you really need is a touring bike.

JoB
    Free Member

why do you want a 'cross bike to commute on, get a tourer with full guards and racks, ah, but you want to look cool, ignore me

ojom
    Free Member

Like i say, check out the Surly.

It does just about everything and is super comfy.

A tourer may be overkill for a shorter commute – or so we find from experience anyway.

0091paddy
    Free Member

Boardman Pro CX. You'll need to be quick though I think.

http://www.boardmanbikes.com/cx/CX_Pro.html

Failing that Kinesis and Empella are pretty big in the race scene.

glenp
    Free Member

Cross bikes that take racks and guards include Kinesis Crosslight T and the Condor one.

sockpuppet

mudguards are a world away from wearing waterproofs. really, *so* much better. fit them well and choose teh colour well and they don't hurt the looks of a bike, certainly not to other riders.

makes commuting far better. IMO, natch.

nickb

Love my Jake the Snake. It takes a rack too, and I have been known to commute on it 😉

Nick

thumbie
    Free Member

Ridley Crossbow comes in under £1k – capacity for panniers & guards if so desired.

Lovely bit of kit IMHO.

Dibbs
    Free Member

why do you want a 'cross bike to commute on, get a tourer with full guards and racks, ah, but you want to look cool, ignore me

I chose a cross bike (Orbea igorre) because it gives me the option to take the "off road" option on my commute across the Quantocks 🙄

sweepy
    Free Member

I know **** all about cross bikes, but the edinburgh bikes revolution cross looks like a nice reasonably priced option,

cynic-al
    Free Member

JoB – Member

+1

Touring will never be fashionable though…

I like my surly Casseroll – no cantis to seize up with winter salt, nippy light-touring geometry.

dano
    Free Member

The best of cross and bikes…

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘recommend me a cross bike’ is closed to new replies.