Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Recommend me a city break
  • lunge

Afternoon all.

I’m looking for some inspiration for a couple of nights away for Mrs Lunge’s birthday. What I’d like is 2, maybe 3, nights away in a nice city, UK or Europe (if there is a flight from Birmingham). I’d like some good restaurants, interesting (buildings, museums, etc.) places to see during the day and some good bars for afters.

I’ve debated Rome but whilst it works well the flights are on days that aren’t ideal.

I know this is a bit vague but I’d love to here some suggestions so I can get some inspiration!

kimbers

did Prague with the wife for our anniversary last year

very impressed
    loads of museums and cultcha
    nice beers
    recommend the Fusion Hotel

got a deal through groupon

Mackem

I see you can fly to Toulouse from Birmingham. Was there last month, lovely city.

northernmatt

Just been through all this. Ended up with Edinburgh (4th time in 12 months) as both me and the OH really like it. Plenty of restaurants and loads to do as well. I looked at Europe but any city breaks flying from Newcastle are about £100 per person more than flying from anywhere else.

I’ll have a dig and see if I can find the thread I put up as it’s got some good suggestions on it.

Edit: Here you go!

toby1

Went to Budapest last year for a weekend. There was a lot of Stag’s on the flight so it may be better to go away from a weekend. But the city itself was really lovely.

taxi25
    Free Member

Prague !! Been there about eight times now. Its a great place and you cam make it as expensive or as cheap as you like.

annebr
    Free Member

Yes went to Budapest in November, is a lovely city.

Also did Prague a few years ago, is also lovely.

annebr
    Free Member

Hoping to do Bratislava soon

kilo

Can you do Bergamo from brum? Nice for a weekend proper old town as well. Tallin is nice also.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Toulouse is a good idea. Lovely city. If you can get there when there’s a rugby match on, all the better!

Amsterdam is always a delightful place to spend a weekend. Everything moves at bike pace. Slowly.

Long shot, but why not also look at New York? If you can get a bargain, it’s not that far away .

footflaps

We did Krakov a few years back and had a day trip to Auschwitz from there.

Some photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/brf/sets/72157630207784588/

and here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/brf/sets/72157630194066098/

ElShalimo

Bilbao
    Madrid
    Stockholm
    Verona
    Berlin

stumpy01

Prague
    Barcelona
    Berlin
    Munich
    Florence
    Amsterdam
    Paris
    Brussels

jools182
    Free Member

Warsaw
    Paris
    Brussels
    Bruges

BillMC

I’ve got Gran Canaria coming up at the end of February and Bratislava at the end of March. With AirBnB, Ryanair and being outside the school holidays it’s as cheap as patatas fritas! Prague is good, Tallinn, blimey the list could go on and on. I like to go somewhere where I can afford the best restaurants and drink enough to launch a battleship which means travelling a bit further afield. My flights for both places were £100rtn or less. With AirBnB I like putting a few quid into local pockets rather than Paris Hilton’s pocket (!)

lunge

Awesome ideas here, thank you all very much.

Any thoughts on more UK based trips?

ElShalimo

Chester
    York
    Bath
    Newcastle
    Oxford
    Cambridge
    Edinburgh

iolo
    Free Member

Vienna fills your requirements perfectly.
    You would have to change in Franfurt but normally there’s hardly any wait for the connectiing flight

ElShalimo

Chester
    York
    Bath
    Newcastle
    Oxford
    Cambridge
    Edinburgh
    Durham

andytherocketeer

Did Bratislava as a day out from Vienna (all the useful flights go to Vienna, and it’s only a short train ride away)
    Vienna’s too touristy though imho.

Tallinn’s my next choice, but flights there are a fortune when I can go.

BillMC

In the UK I’d choose Oxford over Cambridge: more colleges huddled close together, more museums (Pitt Rivers is a must), more good pubs (with good food e.g.King’s Arms), easy access from the park and ride.

egb81
    Free Member

Valencia is a really nice city. Not too touristy, nice and sunny, good people, plenty of culture. I highly recommend.

dave32
    Free Member

Prague has to be up there,been twice with the boys and love it Went Berlin with the Mrs last year and was brilliant,would def recommend there. Paris was lovely but take a loan out if your going…..

annebr
    Free Member

Seville is also a lovely city

Stoner
    Free Member

surprised no one has mentioned Lisbon yet. One of my favourite city destinations. Its a good walking city, comfortable, chilled, great bar scene late at night. And a trip out to Cascais on the train is a nice break in stay.

marko369
    Free Member

Hamburg pal, went May last year and loved it. Loadsa nice bars for the evening and plenty to see and do in the daytime. Would defo recommened the Zoo which is a short train ride away and a massive bonus feeding the Elephants by hand. Get the joint ticket and spend a couple of hours in the joint aquarium. Adina Apart hotel is out of this world and very reasonably priced.

Vienna is my next trip with the missus, got to get another boys Morzine trip outta the way first tho 🙂

UK wise, cant fault the Lakes, Ambleside is my fave by far.

cannondaleking
    Free Member

Another for Vienna perfect escape for a few days and not expensive when you get there

scandal42
    Free Member

Kraków is superb, great accommodation for not very much money, good food and drink and plenty to see.

Manageable size as well.

I’m off to Lucca in Italy in April, have a quick look as it seems to be a lovely place and well situated between Florence and Pisa for day trips on the train.

redstripe
    Free Member

Brighton, base in the Premier Inn city centre

funkhouser
    Free Member

the Mrs & I went to Bruges just before xmas. apparently there are lots of interesting (buildings, museums, etc.) places to see during the day there but we just spent all our time in pubs. Brugs Beertje, De Garre and La Trappiste were the favorites. i bloody love all that Belgian beer! apart from that we had a nice hotel so stayed in bed f cking like stoats.

jota180
    Free Member

Gdansk

Went with work and was totally astounded by the place, I was expecting a grim post industrial sort of place
    Instead I got stunning architecture and great stuff to see and do

Check it out

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a city break’ is closed to new replies.