Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • recommend me a cheap smart phone for STRAVA
  • simonlovesrocks
    Free Member

Right, Iv destroyed another phone so am looking for a new smart phone

Main duty are STARVA, occasional use of Facebook and ebay.

Having had an Iphone I really haven’t been impressed by the amount battery life strava uses but Im told its not the same on other phones

So any good cheap smart phones that will let me log a 6hr ride without going flat ?

atlaz
    Free Member

Why not buy a cheap GPS and have done with it? No smartphone doing GPS is going to have a very long battery life sadly.

mandog

bump. Samsung Galaxy Y any good?
    £49.95 in Carphone Warehouse

d45yth
    Free Member

atlaz – Member

Why not buy a cheap GPS and have done with it? No smartphone doing GPS is going to have a very long battery life sadly.
    +1, it’ll be on your bars as well then, no faffing getting phone out/putting it away. It will come in handy for following routes you don’t know too.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Having issues witht he wildfire here, try the strava forum or find a deal on the Garmin 200

chiefgrooveguru

The GPS in smartphones tends to be erratic and inaccurate, leading to Strava frustration. My old Garmin 200 is much better than my iPhone 4.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The GPS in some smartphones tends to be erratic and inaccurate, leading to Strava frustration.

Desire has always been spot on, checked against wheel speedo and GoPro.

chiefgrooveguru

I said “tends to be”, not “is”.

Cougar

Worth clarifying in case anyone misunderstood, then.

cp

GPS will hammer a smartphone battery whatever model it is. As above, smart phone as a phone, cheap GPS unit for the bike.

thepurist

@mikewsmith – the Strava app was rubbish on my wildfire s, poor GPS tracking with loads of straight lining between the odd patch that was actually recorded. I now use MyTracks (free app) to record the track (which it seems to do very well) then send the track from that to Strava.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Simon – i have emailed you

br
    Free Member

According to the guys I ride with my Nokia E71 is far more accurate than their ‘fancy’ phones, and you can use it without a SIM if needed.

mandog

Well I bought the Y phone today and rode home from work on the road. Seems ok so far.

martinxyz
    Free Member

What’s that? Can it be held steady in Y phrunts?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘recommend me a cheap smart phone for STRAVA’ is closed to new replies.