Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Recommend me a beginner's beer kit
  • Dancake
    Free Member

No fancy brewing techniques – just slam it in a bucket?

Something dark and about 5% would be nice.

Dancake
    Free Member

ok 6%

john_drummer
    Free Member

Coopers. Lots if different styles from pilsner right through to stout.

To make it stronger, don’t add extra sugar, just use less water.
    To to http://www.jimsbeerkit.co.UK for more info.

daftvader
    Free Member

Check out the copper kettle for their woodfords wherry starter kit, not the cheepest but good service. Tho you can get this kit from most homebrew shops. Dont use the online homebrew company…. they are propper crap
    Also check out Jims beer kit for advice, method and general derision on the forum…. Much like here 😀 (edit: damit too slow on the jbk)
    hope this helps

john_drummer
    Free Member

I wasn’t keen on the Wherry, but I think that was down to my keg, which I had all sorts of problems with sanitation of. I just use bottles now.

I now brew all grain, in a bag, so it’s rare that I do a kit other than Coopers Lager for mrs_drummer.

The Coopers kits are relatively foolproof, while the two can kits from the likes of Woodfordes, St Peters, Brupaks, allegedly sometimes get stuck fermentation at around 1020 – I say “allegedly” as it’s something I never experienced – but IMO they do make a nicer brew. They also cost more too.

Do you have any kit?
    bare minimum is:
    Fermenting Vessel (5 gallon or larger bucket with lid);
    if the lid has a hole, you’ll also need an airlock;
    big long plastic spoon/paddle;
    trial jar & hydrometer;
    siphon tubing;
    pressure barrel OR 40x 1 pint (or 500ml) bottles. Brown glass is best, but Coopers also do brown PET reusable bottles for about £12 per 24;
    plastic funnel (for priming the bottles);
    sanitising solution/powder e.g. VWP;
    sugar (for priming)

if you get a one can kit, you’ll also need a kilo of brewer’s sugar (dextrose), dried malt extract (spraymalt) or Coopers Beer Kit Enhancer which is a combination of the two. Expensive mind. If you get a Coopers one can kit and a kilo of BKE, you’re nearly up at two can kit price levels. (£20+ for the latter)

Dancake
    Free Member

Thanks for the links!

lots of good reading if I have a quite night shift.

I am assembling my kit now. I am after an “easy one” to try first after which I might invest in a great big cooking pot if it goes well

seadog101

1. Take 1 wallet, insert some cash
    2. Transfer wallet to pub
    3. Use cash to buy perfectly good beer.

😕

athgray
    Free Member

Just finished drinking Coopers Heritage lager. It was very nice and easy to do. To echo some others here, the Coopers kits seem pretty good.

crankboy
    Free Member

Brewbox by brupacs

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’ve tried a few, not mastered it yet, but the cheap ones can be pretty good IMO.

There’s charm to bottles but keg is easier IMO.

LordSummerisle
    Free Member

woodfords wherry is a good starter kit. very forgiving of first timers.

for dark – try some of the milestone brews

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a beginner's beer kit’ is closed to new replies.