Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Recommend me a 29er frame
  • chrisrobs
    Free Member

Currently riding a Specialized Camber 29er which was a given to me as a warranty replacement. I like the bike and its a lot of fun but the shock is a basic Rockshox and cant be changed due to the suspension yolk set up. Currently has 110mm on the back and 120mm Sektor fork.

I’m after something a bit more longer in the travel, still looking at a 29er but I cant find anything that really takes my fancy. On ones codiene looks good value. Transition smugglers look good but just outside my budget.

I’d want it to be a new frame for warranty purposes and have up to £1000 to spend.

Any ideas please?

Tracey

The Stumpjumper and Stumpjumper EVOs frames in Bikescenes sale are a cracking buy for the price and most of your stuff should be able to move across. Should leave you some spare cash for a longer travel fork

trusty

I paid well under 1k for my vitus escarpe from crc if they’ve got any left.

Edit the stumpy evo is a great bike too, but you’re still limited on shocks

sambob
    Free Member

In the spirit of reccommending the frame I own, I’d say an On-One codeine. Way under budget (even with a Cane Creek Double Barrel air) and really fun to ride. Try not to get a white one though, mine seems to look dirty even when I’ve just cleaned it.

stevie750

What is the difference between a Stumpjumper and a Stumpjumper EVO

Tracey

Travel

chakaping
    Free Member

The Stumpy Evo frame at Bikescene is a steal…
    http://www.bikescene.co.uk/Specialized-Stumpjumper-FSR-Comp-Evo-29-Frame-10833-92-0.html

Looking at the geometry, they come up short but the standover is quite low all the way through the sizes – so I would go for the XL and I’m 5ft 8in.

The chainstays are long at 455mm – but you can’t have it all, eh?

Codeines look like a bargain too, also on the short side though.

warns74
    Free Member

5’8 on the XL?

Agree these frames are great value for money, not much difference between the evo and non evo ALU models just a slightly modified shock link and extra 5mm rear travel. The carbon evos had a slightly reinforced seat tube.

I’ve had 2 of these bikes both XL and 6’5″, if you’re over 6′ you’ll be fine.

chakaping
    Free Member

5’8 on the XL?

Reach was still shorter than I’d ideally like and standover was well under 800mm IIRC.

warns74
    Free Member

If you buy one please post some pictures of you riding it. 😀

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Those Stumpjumer Evo frames really do look like a good deal!

I have a Smuggler – I know it is slightly over your budget but if you are relentless you could get a deal somewhere! Mine has been great as a 130mm ‘Trail’ bike and survived a few crashes ‘Enduroing’ recently too.

trusty

The problem with the XL frames is the height of the seat tower and head tube. I’m 5’10” and rode a large with the stem slammed. Standover is fine but the front might be a bit high and it would be close with getting a dropper on there.

thepodge
    Free Member

Unless I read it wrong the medium, large and xl all have a 430 seat tube so I’d go for an xl too and stick a zero degree or negative rise 30mm stem on it.

Tracey

Medium is 430mm l is 468mm xl is 523mm from Specialized website. Thats a big difference in leg lengh
    . You may struggle with a dropper post.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a 29er frame’ is closed to new replies.