Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Recommend a (threadless) headset
  • hoodoo
    Free Member

Go one then, what would you suggest? Up to about £40. Or should I just bight the bullet and get a Chris King?

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Cane Creek S2 on ebay for £20ish

simon_g

Never really had a good reason to look beyond FSA XLII.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I think the S2 is better sealed myself. The XL2 is fine but does suffer in the dirty/rain.

redted
    Free Member

King all the way, it’ll be the last one you buy, (unless you buy another for another bike of course!)my oldest is 13 yrs old and never touched it, still buttery smooth.

paradigmshift
    Free Member

flippinheckler recomended this cheap deal for a Cane Creek S8 on a previous post.

theflatboy
    Free Member

get a CK

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

those cheap s8’s can be a bit dodgy – the one i got came with unsealed bearings that rotted in about 4 months and tahts with regular maintainence.

i since bought some unbranded fully sealed bearings and that sorted the problem

paradigmshift
    Free Member

As an aside has anyone ever read this article on King headsets.

It seems a bit like propaganda to me as I have only ever heard good things about King headsets.

Coyote
    Free Member

FSA Pig. It’s all the headset you will need.

sofatester
    Free Member

£40 every year or £110 every 10 years? Upto you of course.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Quite a few folk on here have had CK headsets marking their steerers IIRC

jimmy

CK all the way here, too. My first one has been on for over 5 years and not been touched (other than swapping to various bikes along the way). Still good as new.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

£40 every year????

My first FSA orbit XL11 is 5 years old and hasn’t been touched. You can get them on ebay for £20. I have 4 of them going strong on bikes and never touched any of them.

IMO CK is just paying for the name.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Orbit XLII. Can’t fault it. Certainly not for £20. Mines been in three frames so far and I have a spare in the toolbox.

avdave2

Orbit XLII

Mine 3 years old used all year round on an off road commute and it’s as good as new.

AdamT

xl2 here on a few of my bikes. I wouldn’t fit anything else now and they can pretty easily be had for £20.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Recommend a (threadless) headset’ is closed to new replies.