Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Recommend a groupset and wheels please.
  • Harris
    Free Member

A friend has just taken delivery of this frame from Canadashire. He has been riding for years but is out of touch with components and needs some guidance on building up the bike. What do the STW suggest. He’s a big lad of fifteen stone and will be riding pretty full on in the Lakes and Scotland. I should add that he is going for 160mm Fox forks up front.
    Cheers

Scapegoat

What’s his budget?
    Why Fox?

Harris
    Free Member

He has the cash for a great build. He likes Fox from his previous bikes. Personally I’d be looking at something else. Not sure they’re worth the money. Rockshox perhaps?

rob2
    Free Member

Xtr di2 🙂

Or xt with pikes and American wide lightning wheels

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

He has the cash for a great build.

XTR or SRAM XX then. I’d have the latter, myself. Brakes? Well, either XTR or some new Guides would be lovely.

With a Reverb, Easton or Renthal carbon bars, Hope F20 pedals and Tech Enduro wheels, tubeless natch. Saddle and grips to personal preference.

Rorschach
    Free Member

X1,Hope Flow Ex.

njee20
    Free Member

XX1, light bicycle carbon on DT240.

Harris
    Free Member

Great suggestions as ever on here. I’ll post a pic when he’s done building.
    Many thanks.

dirtydog
    Free Member

Full SLX groupset inc brakes from our German friends and Hope Hoops, either Flow or Arch Exes.

Depends on how much money he has to spend.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Full SLX groupset inc brakes

but…

He has the cash for a great build.

SLX is very, very good, but it sure isn’t “great”!

dirtydog
    Free Member

@captainflashheart trying to keep things sensible, didn’t see “great build” though, will have a rethink.

Harris
    Free Member

My friends bike is built. Thanks for all the advice/suggestions. Brakes are Hope as are the hubs (Pro2). Renthal carbon bars, Sram groupset (XO/XO1), Fox Float R’s and a Thomson Gravity Dropper post.

deviant
    Free Member

Needs to do something with that steerer but otherwise good job, I’m partial to a nice long travel hardtail myself and Chromag do some lovely frames.

Get your mate to watch the ‘hardtail in whistler’ video for inspiration… great riding on a Chromag in that.

Harris
    Free Member

I think he’ll ride it for a couple of weeks and then decide on the steerer. The jury is out on the 30mm stem. Great looking bike though.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Recommend a groupset and wheels please.’ is closed to new replies.