Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Ryobi drills – any good?
  • Pieface

I’m after a cordless hammer drill and the Ryobi units look quite good. Only for occassional use, any horror stories?

wwaswas

I’ve got a couple of the One+ ones (old blue/yellow and new lime green) they’ve been fine, will cope with drilling bricks for putting up shelves etc and more torque than my 10.8v Bosch stuff.

trevron73
    Free Member

Great for DIY , had mine 2 years now ,all my family got them ,no good for a tradesman though but great for light use DIY.
    The colour makes me feel like I’m in a sci- fi movie, i have to point and make phaser noises??

globalti
    Free Member

Excellent drills; after trying a De Walt and a Bosch, I bought the Ryobi because I liked the trigger speed control much more than the others. It’s still 100% reliable after a couple of years of hard dusty work and then around seven of almost no use at all, the only thing that has failed was the battery, which I replaced from Eblag. It doesn’t have as much torque as my old Bosch mains drill but you can’t control the speed on that.

I bought mine as part of a two-pack with a fret saw but I’ve hardly used that at all. I also have a 14″ Ryobi chainsaw, which is amazingly tough although the idling isn’t too reliable.

isitafox
    Free Member

If you go cordless make sure you get the professional 18v version, used to use them at the window fitting company I worked for and I picked some up myself as a result!

Pieface

Looking ta the OnePlus 18v at B&Q for £50. Think I’ll give it a whirl.

Like others I’ve had Bosch and DeWalt and for one reason or another they’ve bitten the dust after a few years so not sure its worth spending the extra.

wwaswas

I’d make sure they’re the Li-Ion ones – my experience with their NiCad batteries is that they don;’t take to long periods of not beign used too well.

duncancallum

I rate them. better than bosch.

the 1+ system is good aswell

wwaswas

as an aside, the Nomad portable pressure washers use One+ batteries (same company owns them) and you can (well I did) buy a ‘bare’ pressure washer for a discount if you want to use your existing batteries with it.

nickjb
    Free Member

Looking ta the OnePlus 18v at B&Q for £50. Think I’ll give it a whirl.

Isn’t that for a bare drill? Its another £75 for the battery and charger. OK if you already have other compatible bits but if not you can get a Makita LXT for similar money. That’s what I’d get at that budget.

Pieface

Just no bag –

http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/power-tools/drills-drivers/Ryobi-OnePlus-18V-Hammer-Drill-and-1-x-1-3Ah-Battery-and-Charger-no-bag-13168696

As you can’t do click & collect or web order I guess its limited stock

nickjb
    Free Member

As you can’t do click & collect or web order I guess its limited out of stock

😈

finishthat
    Free Member

+1 for +1 18v same fitting for battery for years nicad and lion – later chargers charge both – many bare tools available if you want/need something else battery powered. Batteries will be available for years due to so many being sold – so a sound investment as the tools always outlast the batteries.

willyboy
    Free Member

I’ve got a one plus 18v ryobi drill (the twin pack one) and its very good for the money. It was on offer earlier this year for £90. It replaced a 10 year old 2.4 Ah lead acid DeWalt drill that was brilliant, but heavy.
    The charging time is a bit slow compared to the makita’s at work, but other than that its great.

Pieface

So I went to B&Q and couldn’t find the £50 ones, must be end of line. The nearest thing was £80 – exactly the same but with a natty nylon bag. Now I’m sure its still an excellent drill, but on principle I’m not spending £30 on a pointless bag.

finishthat
    Free Member

I do not think they were ever on sale for 50 – they were on there earlier in week but no stock in store or for delivery.
    If they were available for that price I would have got anaother one as it is a real bargain.

woffle
    Free Member

When we bought out first house about 7 years ago I bought a Makita LXT (the blue ones) with Li-ion batteries on recommendation from the chap who did the more serious building work required when we moved in. It’s had a fair amount of abuse through a good amount of DIY and it, and batteries, still going strong regardless.

I think Homebase have some of the Makita on offer at the moment…

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Ryobi drills – any good?’ is closed to new replies.