Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Recommend a bike computer
  • _tom_
    Free Member

Bit annoyed with how hit and miss my phone gps tracker is so I’m looking to get a computer for my road bike. Budget is under £50 and i’d like to have these things:

– must be reliable and accurate
    – waterproof
    – display current speed, time, miles, average speed for current ride (plus option for overall average if any have that)
    – total miles/odometer
    – stem mount if possible

Would also be nice to be able to enter height/weight to get estimated calorie burn but that’s not really essential.. oh and probably looking for a wired one for reliability

khegs
    Free Member

Cateye strada, wireless, stem mount, simple, reliable and has all the features but the calorie burn thing

The whole computer is a button, so nice and easy to use

jonk

I have a wired Strada for sale if you are interested tom £13 posted mail in profile

nickswolves
    Free Member

Cateye Strada wireless as above

headfirst
    Free Member

+1 for above

Taff
    Free Member

Strada wireless. I’ve tried a fair few others as they were cheaper and should’ve listened to the STW massive first time and would’ve saved a fortune in the long run.

_tom_
    Free Member

Cheers guys 🙂 any reason to go for the wireless over wired other than aesthetics? surely the wired would be more reliable?

nickswolves
    Free Member

Wireless is just neater plain and simple

Taff
    Free Member

Wireless is neater more than anything. Bought cadence computers in the past and you have thick wires that need securing to the frame and looks rubbish and there’s always a need to use up excess wiring on those. So much nicer to just strap on a sensor and the computer

butcher

– must be reliable and accurate
    – waterproof
    – display current speed, time, miles, average speed for current ride (plus option for overall average if any have that)
    – total miles/odometer
    – stem mount if possible

My Aldi computer does all of those things, and has done reliably for 3 years.

Fiver.

CraigW
    Free Member

Cheers guys any reason to go for the wireless over wired other than aesthetics? surely the wired would be more reliable?

In my experience the wired Strada stops working whenever it rains. Probably due to water on the contacts on the mount. So not very reliable for me.
    I’ve never tried the wireless Strada, but I presume it avoids this problem.

_tom_
    Free Member

Makes sense. Think i’ll be going for a wireless strada then, thanks 🙂

JoeG
    Free Member

I like SigmaSport; I’ve had both wired and wireless. Wireless is neater, but both the transmitter and computer need batteries, so one more thing that can go wrong. And a previous bar mounted light (Cateye LED) caused interference with the wireless computer; it didn’t work at all with the light on. I’ve since gone back to the wired version for maybe $25. Really all that I use are current speed, trip distance, total odometer, and maybe top speed once in a while.

winston_dog
    Free Member

I would recommend a Garmin Edge but they are expensive.

A dedicated GPS receiver is generally way better than any phones GPS.

I haven’t used one of these but I do have a GPS logger made by the same company and it is very well made and reliable.

Holux Sport GPS

You can get them for about £50 if you are willing to wait for it to come from Taiwan.

monkeychild
    Free Member

I have a VDO X1DW wireless with cadence and it was good at what it did. I have now gone the GPS route.
    I have it boxed in the garage and will be selling it.

superfli
    Free Member

I’ve had 2 Sigma wireless computers and a wired Aldi comp, all have failed within a year. The Sigmas were bl**dy expensive too. Aldi one, buttons stopped working.
    Am now on a wired Cateye Enduro 8. Although the first one stopped worknig after a few months, Wiggle replaced it straight away. 2nd one has been fine for 6mths now. Also got a 2nd cable kit for 2nd bike. Does everything you require and is pretty sturdy looking.

nick3216
    Free Member

– stem mount if possible

Pretty much essential. Way better than bar mount.

nickswolves
    Free Member

Never had a problem with the Strada in the rain

rickmeister

Have a look at the VDO range as options, M1.0+ wireless , loads of good info, found it very useful but no calorie info..

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Recommend a bike computer’ is closed to new replies.