Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Recommend a 20-30 quid red wine?
  • posty540
    Free Member

Looking to get my old man a nice bottle of red to say thanks for helping me out recently.

He normally likes a red towards the richer/darker end of the spectrum but not too full on.

As you can tell, I don’t drink much red wine, so any pointers or recommendations?

Many thanks.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

A good Amarone

yossarian
    Free Member

Go to a decent wine shop and ask them. Quality and price tag are not as related as you’d think.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Good advice about visiting your local independent shop. Do you know which wines he buys at the moment, or talks about? Amarone, as recommended above is Italian, as are Barbaresco and Barolo which would also fit the bill. I’m a big fan of Australian Shiraz but that does tend to be a bit on the full side! If he likes French wine, get him a Pommard.

grum
    Free Member

I know nothing about wine but I had a Chateauneuf du Pape red at around that price that was lovely.

iDave
    Free Member

A medium quality Amarone, or good quality Ripasso would be my choice

theyEye
    Free Member

Amarone is my favourite, and a brunello di montalcino may be worth a look as well!

iDave
    Free Member

If he doesn’t like full on, Ripasso is a better bet than amarone

grum
    Free Member

Like the thread asking if anyone owns a holiday home, this is another chance for the STW toffs to identify themselves. 😉

RichPenny
    Free Member

Or for people to reveal that they pin insulting labels to people based on their hobbies 😉

Waderider
    Free Member

Try The Mcrae Wood by Jim Barrie, it’s one of the nicest I’ve tried and comes in towards the middle of your price range.

iDave
    Free Member

donsimon
    Free Member

Go for a good Rioja, you don’t need to spend a lot to get a good wine.
    Why not go for a gift set? I bought a reasonable wine and fancy corkscrew set for a friend as a thank you gift. The wine to enjoy and the corkscrew as a more permanent reminder.

Markie
    Free Member

I can heartily recommend Mitolo wines, some reviews are here (and millions more through google!):
    http://www.wineanorak.com/mitolo_2.htm
    http://www.classic-wine.co.uk/pages/company_mitolo.htm

Jester is their ‘drink it now’ range, but the GAM, Savitar and Serpico are (IMO) great wines that will also (so folk say) age well over 10 to 15 years. A quick google showed this place:
    http://www.slurp.co.uk/search/?search=mitolo
    as having a good range by the bottle.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Recommend a 20-30 quid red wine?

A good Amarone

good luck with that, just checked my merchant’s list and they start at £43. for better value you have to head further south

tried this at a recent nebbiolo tasting and was my choice at the ‘value’ end

LANGHE NEBBIOLO Vajra £22 roberson wine

this is a favorite of mine and should be easy to get hold of

vina-ardanza by la rioja-alta, should be £18 and up depending on the year £25 at berry brothers for a 2000

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

http://www.thewinereserve.co.uk/store/red-wine/alpha-zeta–a–amarone/ Alpha Zeta is superb, just check on 2008 vintage. The 2007 vintage won a gold medal at the IWC.

Tinners

Leoville Barton St Julien is one of the nicest reds I’ve ever tasted. I couldn’t recommend it highly enough. I’ve not seen it in the supermarkets though, so you’d need to try a local wine merchant or something like Majestic online.
    Penfolds Bin 389 is great and usually available in supermarkets. Can’t remember how much it is but I think around the £20 mark, possibly less. In fact, even if it’s less than your budget, you’d struggle to find anything that tastes better for £20-£30 to be honest.
    Would definitely check out the St Julien though. Trust me. He won’t be disappointed.
    (is this the bit where I add something like “/pretentious” or whatever the computer speak is?)

piha
    Free Member

Why pay so much, when for much less dollar you can have…….

If it’s a bit too fruity then a dash of lemonade will help!

Tinners

Here you go, Posty540. Slap in the middle of your budget too:
    http://www.majestic.co.uk/find/category-is-Wine/category-is-France/category-is-Bordeaux/category-is-M%C3%A9doc/category-is-St-Julien/product-is-01356
    I’m not surprised at the 5* reviews either.

posty540
    Free Member

thanks for the replies all.

He normally drinks French or Italian wines, but exact names I couldn’t tell you…his wife has got him trying New World wines recently but I think I’d like to get him more of a ‘Classic’. As mentioned, he likes Chateauneuf du Pape but would like to get something else i think

May try to get to an independent shop, but I’d like to get it sooner rather than later and work would get in the way of this. Plus i always think they may just suggest a wine that they have 24 cases of out the back which they need to get rid of as ‘the best’ – Paranoid i duno!

Gift set good idea but brother got him a fancy corkscrew not too long ago.

Going to have a look into and read on the suggested ones now, cheers.

Now, one question…do we get into a whole new league of wines over £40? and if so, is it worth it? I know I’m going to start thinking that when i start looking at the suggested websites.

grantus
    Free Member

Ah, the old Buckfast! Despite the image, it is a very nice tipple when mixed with semi-skimmed milk. Like a nice alcoholic strawberry milkshake.

Mmmmmmmmmmm………….

leffeboy

As mentioned, he likes Chateauneuf du Pape

Try a wee Gigondas then, 2006/5 but ask in a wine shop (althogh I’ve had some great stuff from a supermarket as well)

duckman

Grantus;your a worry!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Recommend a 20-30 quid red wine?’ is closed to new replies.