Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Recomend me some hubs, rims for CX
  • roadiebiker-m.g
    Free Member

Hi,

Thinking of building up some wheels for CX. Basically, I need something with the durability of MTB wheels, such as Hope hubs. So need to have sealed bearings, and preferably a serviceable or easily replaceable freehub. I dont have a huge budget so i am not looking at carbon rims, i am really looking for something that is durable and serviceable.

What i dont know is which hubs have serviceable freehubs and which ones dont, i've looked at sun ringle, hope bontrager, (all on CRC).

As for rims, need to be round (so preferably not mavic), lasting and reasonably light.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Mike

uplink
    Free Member

Hopes?

foxyrider
    Free Member

Mate has ProIII on Open Pros and very happy with them 🙂

johnners
    Free Member

As for rims, need to be round (so preferably not mavic)

Don't know what you mean by that, round's pretty much up to your wheelbuilder and I've never had any problems with Mavic.

I'd recommend Mavic Open Pro for a decently tough CX rim, but I guess you wouldn't be interested in them. My XT hubs are plenty durable too…

qwerty
    Free Member

Open Pros (435g) for light weight

CXP33 (470g) if you fancy some aero mud shedding ability

on HOPE hubs

or on a White Industries Eric's Eccentric ENO rear to go singlespeed 😀

nostoc
    Free Member

I'd go for open pros or cxp33s.

But if you'd like a cheap pair of Ambrosio Evolution rims email me.

aP
    Free Member

Ambrosio nemesis on record. Light, not so expensive,

crazy-legs

Mavic rims every time for me, never had a problem with them.
    My CX has Hope road hubs (sealed bearings, serviceable/replaceable freehub) on Mavic Open Pro Ceramic. The rims are expensive (about £70 each) but they give much more consistent braking in all conditions and don't wear out anywhere near as fast as non-coated rims.

Mine have stood up to 2 Three Peaks (they'll be doing a 3rd in a months time) plus riding in the Peaks and Lakes and I use the bike for off-road commutes to work as well.

Wheels are as good now as they were when I built them up 3 years ago.

Margin-Walker
    Free Member

Running these on my cx bike ….. http://www.hopegb.com/voir_roadwh.html

Cermaic rims are nice but costly and possibly overkill, albeit a set of winter wheels with ceramic's will literally last forever.

LoveTubs
    Free Member

Love my 819's…

…I'm not sure which hubs I'd go for if I were looking. I'm running XT atm and they've been fine (just serviced them and they're smooth as) but I wish I'd gone for something more…..je ne sais qua?

roadiebiker-m.g
    Free Member

thanks for the advice people

The way mavic join there rims mean that they are slightly flat at the join, probably quite slight, a fully trained wheelbuilder friend told me…

Does anyone know of cheaper hubs than hope that have a serviceable freehub body? I am getting through shimano, and bontrager freehubs too quickly. I am really not keen on shimano bearings as once they are gone the cups are as well.

I have CXP33s on a rear wheel and open pro on a front, the braking doesnt seem as good on the CXP33s, this might be rubbish…

I might consider something a bit posh for the rear, ceramic, if they really do last longer. I was thinking of just building a rear anyway as i have stacks of perfectly fine front wheels.

Interested in the ambrosio rims, will email you.

Cheers,

Mike

oldgit
    Free Member

crazy legs that's interesting I'll have to consider ceramics, as a set of normal Mavics doesn't last a year. Too late for now as I'm having another set of rims done right now.

Ed2001
    Free Member

The ambrosio nemesis are a tubular rim rather than clincher ( aP seems obssessed with this rim and seems to recommend them for everything from a climbing wheel to cx) which I suspect if you are not used tubs may not be the way to go. The simplest solution is to buy some nice new wheels for your road bike and sling your old ones on your cx bike. You do not need specific cx wheels and if you race you will see all sorts of wheels being used.BTW your wheelbuilder is talking shit imo nothing wrong with mavic no better or worse than dt swiss, ambrosio etc

bol

Anyone used Roval Pavees? I've had mine for a couple of years now and they've been great. Robust, reasonably light, good-looking and relatively cheap.

aP
    Free Member

I'm Only doing it to be mildly annoying 😉
    But he did specifically ask for cx rims and that's what mine are built for. With tubs they're lighter than my Neutrons – and I've seen elsewhere that cc reckon that they're sub 1500g – what else could you ask for?
    Anyway the other guy was asking for wheels for the Fred Whitton – lumpy maybe?

dobo
    Free Member

no experience of them but plenty expensive, but how about some
    NoTubes: Alpha 340 road on american classics? anyone using them or similar for cx?

roadiebiker-m.g
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice.

I am not toally sure he is talking rubbish, he has seen alot of road wheels as he has built a lot of road wheels as his job and is an elite professional rider for an international road racing team.
    Down to the point, i am not that bothered about the rims (the supposed un-roundness of mavics is probably unoticeable), and at some i will ding it riding something that i really shouldnt, (e.g stanage in the peaks).

Basically, I am looking for a hub that is going to cost me less in the long term for freehubs and bearing parts.

Does anything other than hope, have serviceable freehub bodies? and how serviceable are hope anyway.

Sorry for making this the most annoying tiringly dumb tech thread ever!

oldgit
    Free Member

{Hijack} aP are you racing at Blenhiem the weekend after the 3 Peaks?

Looking at the bikes first over the line in my league they all seem to be Open Pro on Campag or Shimano, certainly the most popular combo.

aP
    Free Member

Oldgit – I think we will be. Just need to enter beforehand. I think our intention is to do all the cxl rounds.
    Need to talk 3pcx at some point if you'd like a bottle handed up…

oldgit
    Free Member

Okay, but I think some of the Peaks guys I know are up there in numbers with support. And I'm probably camping up there.
    I'll find out more.
    BTW Blenhiem is the flattest bumpiest course I've ever ridden, you'll appreciate having sprints.

crazy-legs

Basically, I am looking for a hub that is going to cost me less in the long term for freehubs and bearing parts.
    Does anything other than hope, have serviceable freehub bodies? and how serviceable are hope anyway.

Loads of CX racers use factory wheels taken off their road bikes, pretty much any hub will be fine. I've still got a set of Shimano 600 (pre-Ultegra) hubs which work fine. Hardly use them now but they've done tens of thousands of miles on road and CX with fairly minimal servicing. In some ways normal Shimano hubs are easier – 20 mins to service once a year, cheap and easy to get bearings and spares. Plenty strong enough as well.

wind-bag
    Free Member

You may consider Salsa Delgardo rims……recently had a pair of these rim's built up with Hope Pro 3's and DT spokes by Tim at Sideways in Alsager. Very happy with them, light and strong, tyres seat easily too due to their width.

ChrisF
    Free Member

I've been running a set of Hope Pro3 on Open Pros on my road bike for a year. I don't do huge miles, but admittedly they are generally very hilly (I live in the Peak) and have done some racing on them too this year. I got the wheels as a bomb proof set that won't need much attention – one year of not that much use, and the rear free hub needed replacing along with all the bearings… The pawl springs were shot too.

I'm not really impressed – compared to their mtb hubs, the Pro3s don't seem very durable. I'd be tempted to go for a decent quality Shimano road hub and service it every year. Open Pro rims seem good though.

clubber
    Free Member

The way mavic join there rims mean that they are slightly flat at the join, probably quite slight, a fully trained wheelbuilder friend told me…

This is true actually (usually less than a mm though) but it's also true for most brands (I've built lots of wheels) so it's a non-issue.

Hubs: Miche Racing Box – sealed bearings and rebuildable.
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Miche_Racing_Box_Pair_of__Hubs/5360040678/

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Recomend me some hubs, rims for CX’ is closed to new replies.