Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Recomend me a bottom bracket
  • BigBikeBash
    Free Member

My Xt HT2 cranks and BB are creaking worse than my knees. I assume I can just replace the bearings bit and keep the old cranks.

Any point in not going for standard Shimano HT2 BB? Are Hope etc much better?

tinsy
    Free Member

google replacing just the bearings and not the cups etc save your self a £30 in the process for just a little more effort.

BigBikeBash
    Free Member

On CRC the BB is only £20

I assume I just unscrew the knackered one and screw in the new one.

ozzybmx
    Free Member

Yep hope are sweet .

Are you sure its the BB ? loose chainring bolts can squeak like a mouse with it balls stuck in a trap.

tinsy
    Free Member

Because I am nice.

http://www.mountainbikerides.co.uk/fettling/hollowtech2bb.htm

thee are other sites showing you how to do it, but this is the first I could find.

BigBikeBash
    Free Member

ozzy – it is more like a grating scream of mechanical agony reverbirating through the carbon fibre every time I push the left pedal.

ozzybmx
    Free Member

err… BB then 😀

tinsy
    Free Member

bigbikebash, there are BB’s listed for Shimano in the £22 pound mark but not the XT, its listed at £44… It does make me wonder if any of the other Shimano BB’s are compatible though.

timraven

Go for Hope. I’m hard on BB’s for some reason, but Hopes last much longer IMO

thomthumb
    Free Member

acros. same options as hope, a bit cheaper and a 2 year guarentee

soma_rich
    Free Member

I have the big spannery thing if you want to borrow one….

kevin1911

I recently found the XTR BB is cheaper than the XT one, so bought one and fitted it. I’m hoping someone won’t be along in a minute to say there’s a good reason for it being cheaper!! 🙂

rickmeister

Kev, I knackered an XTR in the same time as an Xt, but each to their own.. Hope Ceramic working well at the moment for me..

lunge

Hope stainless for me, 1 year in and no issues at all.

BigBikeBash
    Free Member

Gone for Shimano for £25 from the LBS because it is what they had. Thanks for the advice but with tweather this good I NEEDED to be out riding rather than waiting on the internet or trawling around loads of shops.

Just got back caked in dust and smiling.

trailmonkey

Crank Bros Cobalt ISIS. 5 year warranty. You can argue till the cows come home about the merits of various BB systems but IME, they all get knackered within 12-24 months. With the Crank Bros you get everything changed when it does get borked, without quibble. I’m on my 3rd set of bearings now, 2 1/2 years old.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Recomend me a bottom bracket’ is closed to new replies.