Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • reccomend a bothy
  • mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

off camping with my bro and old man in March and was toying with the idea of spending a night in a bothy.

any particularly good locations? We haven't decided where we are going yet and are completely flexible and will decide based on weather. I'd consider driving 8+ hours from Derbyshire if it meant we got somewhere special. both fairly experienced walkers and have winter walking kit so a spot of snow and ice is no bother. not too inaccessible as my dad's getting on a bit and isn't at his fittest at the moment

duckman

Give me an mail (in profile,)I am not too keen to put up locations on a public forum.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

thanks

ygm

lowey

Dubs Quarry Bothy near Honister ?

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

any advice on what to take?

We are spending one or two (depending on weather) nights in Corrour bothy.

I know the basics but should we take fuel for the fire? Not sure i want to kart big logs there on my back but am happy to take some kindling.

assume sleeping mat and bag + the usual camping kit is all we need?

nonk
    Free Member

not much handy fuel for the fire at corrour last time i stayed.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Recent trips to bothies I'd recommend:

Lochivraon near Ullapool

Camban near Glen Affric/Glen Sheil

Coulags near Lochcarron

email for more details.

SC

mema
    Free Member

There is lots of peat around Corrour!

stuartie_c
    Free Member

assume sleeping mat and bag + the usual camping kit is all we need

Whisky
    Fireworks
    Coal
    Firelighters
    Amaretto liqueur for the hot chocolate

nonk
    Free Member

why do we feel the need to take fireworks to bothys? 😀

stuartie_c
    Free Member

I don't know but it just feels right 😀

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

all great ideas

we won't be burning any peat, it's scarce enough as it is and it'll also no doubt be soaking wet!

whisky and hot chocolate are already on the list 🙂

not sure about fireworks either, i can barely be trusted with matches let alone fun burning things

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

thanks for the help folks

due to the snow conditions we didn't head to Courour but the slightly closer Derry Lodge

part of an absolutely awesome few days with perfect weather. Truly a stunning time to be in Braemar and it's surround

pics from the trip are here

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Some of these photos are absolutely stunning mrmichaelwright. The light in the Cairngorms can be amazing at this time of year when the weather is settled.

I remember Bob Scott's bothy in the days before it was burned down and rebuilt. There was a huge pentangle burned onto one of the walls which made it a slightly uneasy place to sleep!

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

We stayed at Meanach last September. Fairly remote. Not much in the way of fuel though (unless you start chopping the remains of the roof off Lubeilt over the river.

senojevad
    Free Member

There was a huge pentangle burned onto one of the walls which made it a slightly uneasy place to sleep

To be honest, I'd be just as uneasy sleeping in there with some 'eejits with fireworks 😉
    Bob Scot's is a cracking place, it must've been very special being there in the snow!

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

thanks stu, it certainly was special

minus 20 outside but toasty inside with the fire going and a wee dram

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘reccomend a bothy’ is closed to new replies.