Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Reasonable priced but good brakes
  • graeme87
    Free Member

Hi, I currently have avid elixir 5’s and I am looking to replace them as I am not having much joy with them.
    What do you recommend?

belugabob
    Free Member
    mindmap3
    Free Member

Agree. It’s pretty much impossible not to recommend them.

I have them on my hardtail and think they’re great for the money. The rotors are properly cheap from Bike Discount too….I paid £17 posted for a pair of SLX rotors (180/160).

jamiep
    Free Member

£63 at Ribble

dantsw13

Deores on all my bikes now – fantastic brakes.

devash
    Free Member

I had Avid Elixir 3s on my full sus as stock and found them awful.

Upgraded to the above BR-615’s with SLX rotors and no more rubbing, turkey-gobbling or constant re-bleeding.

Can’t recommend them enough for the price. They don’t look as ‘bling’ as Hopes, Magura, Formula etc but they work and they work well.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

If it was me I would get shimano the deals on 615 are great but it’s still worth considering slx and xt as they save weight and offer tooless adjustment. Though there is practically no performance difference between current deore and xt :/

LMT
    Free Member

I had elixir 5’s and ditched them for the newest SLX great price and even better stoppers, i did get them before the deores got discounted, otherwise i would of got the deores.

Easy to trim to the hoses, and easy to bleed, just get the shimano adaptor if you run bigger disc’s, i used the avid one and it was lousy. Fitted the proper shimano one this morning and perfect brakes now.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I love Hope brakes and will suggest them on pretty much all brake threads. However, as you’ve asked specifically for decent brakes at a reasonable price, I would suggest you look no further than shimano. Pick a price, shop around and enjoy whichever shimano brake fits the bill.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Thanks – very useful for me too ! (I am a Hope fan and have then on two bikes but need some decent discount brakes for another project)

_tom_
    Free Member

Conversely I went to Elixir 3s from SLX and am much happier apart from the bleed procedure. I accept that I seem to be a major anomaly here though! Wouldn’t mind trying the Deore ones. I think at the time a lot of it was that I was pissed off with Rose and Madisons customer service (or lack thereof) so a bit bitter 😆

PJ266
    Free Member

Just bought some from Ribble, cheap cheap!

martymac

i have some ancient deores, all they have had in about 9 years is a hose, (punctured when bars spun) some pads (consumable item),
    and some oil (caliper was leaking when i bought them new)
    impossible to fault.
    and everyone says the new ones are better.

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Just ordered some from merlin, gone through top cash back so good price got better 🙂

Vortexracing

Just got some of those Deores for my SS, cannot fault them for that little money

graeme87
    Free Member

Cheers guys

epicbleedsolutions
    Free Member

It’s hard to believe just how cheap and good value for money those Deore 615s are.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Reasonable priced but good brakes’ is closed to new replies.