Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • rear wheel side to side play…pro 2?
  • martinxyz
    Free Member

I hope the fellow with the dodgy hub manages to find the answers to his problem amidst the argument over a part of a hub that might not even be faulty at all. 🙄

cynic-al
    Free Member

We weren’t even arguing about the same type of hub 😛

martinxyz
    Free Member

Nearly fainted there.I thought I picked up on the wrong type of hub lol

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

I’m fed up of the cup and cone Vs cartridge debate now. I agree with TJ about cynic-al theory of bearings wearing themselves smooth! I would not post up banging that theory and risk the ranting which will come from cynic-al. But come on this is an absurd theory if ever there was one. In engineering terms it defys all logic!

Cup and cone bearings are generally shite. Im my experience. Sure they roll better and in theory work better. But in the real world I have found them nothing but a pain in the arse

I don’t care if you have worked in a bike shop too. I have often been given lame advice and had bad mechanical aptitude from various bike shops. You trying to say bearings will wear smooth and arguing the fact that you work in a bike shop as the sole argument to anyone who wants to challenge that is very lame!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Thing is Seth, I’ve seen what I describe with my own eyes, that does not depend on my professional experience (other than knowing how to service a hub) and I’ve not claimed it to be so.

How can you challenge what I have seen with merely an opinion? How does it defy all logic?

If anyone could even explain how it couldn’t have worked (by which I mean something more than “the bearing surface is damaged”) I’d gladly listen, but no one appears to have the brains to come up with a rationale, and flaming is easier.

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

Why don’t you come up with some evidence to back your ludicrous claim up? I will stand corrected if you can. As it is your opinion clearly defys anything I have ever learned in engineering! Next you will be saying we all crawled out of the sea, turned into monkeys and started making cup and cone bearing hubs. You are the Darwin of singletrack!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Like I say, I’ve seen it with my own eyes.

No one, not even you, who has claimed to be trained in engineering, has given any detail as to why it is “impossible”.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

martinxyz – thanks for the input and help and cheers for the other input (arguers 🙂 )

the hub never had movement before, shop reckons its the bearings too, as i stated above the rear 2 bearings could actually be over 2 years old, i cant find out/remember if i changed them or not when it cracked (i think hope just stuck on the old bearings as they were running ok)…..

anyways its in the shop now, my original 2 year old front bearings are being replaced at the same time, so im having the 2 rear ones done, and possibly the freehub ones to if it turns out they are not running great, just so that everything roughly runs out at the same time, and i know in the future i had everything done (instead of forgetting like this time)….

FWIW – i released and tightened back up my 10mm bolt thru numerous times to check it wasnt that, still side to side play, shop even without looking at it have suggested it sounds like the bearings are gone…

cynic-al
    Free Member

Look we’re having an argument here, what do you think you are doing updating folk as to the outcome of the OP?

😉

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

😆

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

Cynic-al to have an argument you actually have to have two sides to it. In the case the other side is something of a joke. I suggest an eye sight test.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Your side is a joke fella as you have said nothing to substantiate it.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

well apart from the bickering 🙂 whomever suggested the bearings was correcto! two main ones were gone (one was copletely buggered) strangely one of my front ones was absolutly fine, so just a had 1 new front one, and 2 new rear ones (free hub ones were fine too)….

and to boot just tested there is no wheel movement at all now! so well done folks and at least i know in the future when the bearings need changing 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

Thanks for tho opportunity to debate,

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

nee sweat 😉 i’d have loved to have joined in, but i have no idea what you are both on about 🙂 i’ll stick to asking the questions i think

cynic-al
    Free Member

Don’t worry, most of the other guys hadn’t a clue either.

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

You would have been better off with knackered cup and cone bearings though!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Now that’s just silly.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

cynic als magic self healing bearings would be best. can you patent adn market them Al

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘rear wheel side to side play…pro 2?’ is closed to new replies.