Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Rear shifter options without thumbs?
  • Burts
    Free Member

To cut a long story short, I’ve damaged the ligaments in my right thumb badly enough to make using a thumb shifter really painful. I’m currently using a SRAM X5 shifter (X7 rear mech) and I can only shift up/down when there is no load on the chain.

So apart from more physio and MTFU, what are my alternative shifting options? Do SRAM or Shimano make a shifter with only index-finger shifting? I’m not keen Grip-shift!

Thanks.

jonk

DI2 conversion or barend shifters on pauls mounts

meehaja
    Free Member

how about those combined brake/shifters they did (a bit like road shifters)?

lucien

Twist Grip?

monogramman
    Free Member

Is it possible to mount shifters on the opposite sides of the bars?

Or take the internals out and swap them over?

brownix
    Free Member

To make the shifting easier on your thumb you could extend the lever by bolting another bit of metal, thus giving more leverage and therefore it will be less painful on the thumb

sambob
    Free Member

How about gripshift? A mate smashed his thumb on his BMX and used gripshift for a while until he got full strength back, might be worth a look.
    EDIT: just read the last bit. Oops.

Burts
    Free Member

Sounds like I might have to try grip shift for a while. :o(

Do SRAM make grip shift for X7 9speed derailleurs, I think I’ve only seen it recently for 10speed?

midlifecrashes

£40 at CRC

Might be cheaper around too

Edit: X0 only a tenner more

Superficial
    Free Member

Have you looked at Shimano dual control levers? They always seem to go for very cheap on Chain Reaction. I know they don’t have too many fans but they might be just the trick for you?

tthew

IIRC, dual control were all other-way-round shifting system. Was it called top-normal or something? Anyhoo, rear derailleur may not be compatible.

wwaswas

mount the existing shifters above the bars by twisting them around?

Would be more awkward but would avoid reliance on thumbs.

I guess you won;’t be doign anythign too technical with a knackered hand anyway?

andyl
    Free Member

there is the dual contol levers which are a hydraulic (or cable) brake where the lever is also the gear change. But you will need to use a shimano brake caliper and they won’t be the latest and greatest brake lever.

edit: beaten to it.

Burts
    Free Member

Looks like Grip-shift is the most practical option, I’ll just have to get used to it. Don’t want to spend too much on it, so a single shifter is much cheaper than getting a Shimano dual-lever & rear mech combined.

I guess you won;’t be doign anythign too technical with a knackered hand anyway?

I live in Vancouver – there are a few technical challenges. 😆 I did a short (10min) downhill on Sunday, my hand was sore by the bottom but didn’t interfere with the riding. The big issue was riding the undulating trails to get to the DH – if I lost momentum at any point, I couldn’t shift down with my thumb to keep it going. Had to hop off, change gear, get going again.

Thanks for the links, worth a try.

sean882
    Free Member

Sorry to bring back a dead post, but it’s not too old. I’m having a similar issue; I cut off my thumb a few months ago. The doctor just cleared me for sports again, though I still can’t move my right thumb. I rigged up a friction shifter above the bar, similar to older road bikes. Though, if you’ve got the cash to drop, try the ki-2 (mountain version of the di2, and much more suited for injury).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Rear shifter options without thumbs?’ is closed to new replies.