Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Rear Mech Disaster
  • robbo1234biking

Whilst on my ride home this evening this happened to my rear mech and hanger

Does anyone have or know where I can get a new rear mech hanger from that will do 9am delivery for Friday?! Many thanks

njee20
    Free Member

Looks like a Trek? You’ll have to go to your friendly local Trek dealer if it is…

In fact, why not just go to your LBS either way, guaranteed speed!

Lactic
    Free Member

Good effort. Have you tried straightening the hanger?- if it’s steel it should be fine. What bike is it?

nickegg
    Free Member

you mean you don’t carry a spare 😉

Sorry, whats it from? …..and get two!!

nickegg
    Free Member

Thats alloy and it won’t bend back.

Steel frame usually have integrated hangers because you can bend them back alot before they snap.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Might be alloy but it could still bend back, I’ve “repaired” alu parts by bending them back, it ust depends on the extent of the stresses induced in the material (i.e. depends on the material thickness and the radius of the bend.

Filthy
    Free Member
    ziggy
    Free Member

Looks like a hanger that’s fitted to Carreras, Konas, Diamondbacks etc.

I’ve definately got loads in stock but couldn’t guarantee delivery for Fri, that’s down to the postie.

Part no RMM 234 from a Raleigh dealer.

robbo1234biking

Yeh its a Kona one – ill try bending it back. And no I dont carry a spare – never happened to me before but I guess there is a first time for everything!

Gave up my car on Monday so bike is my only form of transport hence not being able to get to the LBS! doh! Evans at Milton Keynes is my local decent one anyway (other than a halfrauds!)

stevet
    Free Member

i know its not liked but pop down to halfords, picked one of them up from them for £12 ! cheaper then anywhere else i could fine

robbo1234biking

Just rang them and they didnt even know what a mech hanger was 🙁 oh well its going to have to be an online order I guess and Ill have to be patient!

stevet
    Free Member

was it a bikehut one ? suppose i should of mentioned mine was a bikehut one 😆

YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

Try BETD,they make ’em!

sockpuppet

is that a fish-eye lens? looks like some barrel distortion on the bottom one…

coffeeking
    Free Member

is that a fish-eye lens? looks like some barrel distortion on the bottom one…

lol

robbo1234biking

Fish eye lens? youve lost me now!

robbo1234biking

OK so whats the difference between long cage and short cage rear mechs? And rapid rise?

Looking at this one to replace the mech from CRC

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=9735

Also the chain got destroyed – I am guessing that means I need to replace the cassette as well?

Lactic
    Free Member

Can of worms alert
    You’ve got a long cage mech there, probably easiest to replace like with like as we don’t know what bike or drive train you’ve got.
    Rapid rise is shimano’s new(ish) system, where the spring in the dérailleur drags the chain onto larger cogs / lower gears instead of smaller / higher as traditional. Can’t make out your mech’s type from the photo but looks fairly generic so probably not rapid rise. How old is it?
    If you replace your chain because it’s worn out then it’s generally accepted that your cassette will be mullered as well. However if your drive train is not that old in your case I would just replace the chain, and replace the cassette only if you have skipping / ghost-shifting problems with the new set up.
    There you go. Simple
    Do I get a prize for using so many /’s?

robbo1234biking

Ok it’s a deore mech normal. Done about 500 miles over the winter so not sure if it would be worn or not! Any advice gratefully received?

Alb
    Free Member

Phil Corley Cycles are in Milton Keynes and they’re a pretty big Trek dealer (if they share some of the Kona mech hangers). It’s probably worth a try. Ask for Paul in the workshop – nice guy and knows his stuff!

bomberman
    Free Member

that xt mech there on crc will do you fine. if you order it now you MIGHT get it friday late morning…

robbo1234biking

Ok all ordered and sorted out now hopefully! Evans actually do the mech hangers for 11.99 so not too bad really. And Merlin have a good deal on cassettes and chains still considering that CRC and wiggle wanted nearly £50 for both!

foxyrider
    Free Member

I get my mech hangers from BETD bit more expensive but very nice hangers!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Rear Mech Disaster’ is closed to new replies.