Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • GPS or PDA?
  • snaps
    Free Member

I’m looking to upgrade my on bike navigation, currently running Garmin Quest but would like OS mapping & only seems like two options Satmap 10 or a PDA running Memorymap with a Bluetooth GPS.
    Satmap looks nice but is pricey but I have Memorymap already & you can pick up PDAs for under £50 – anyone running a PDA & memorymap, if so what do you think?

spangelsaregreat
    Free Member

Hi,

I have used PDAs with Memory Map for about five years now.

It works very well and is excellent for navigation etc.

Older PDAs will require a bluetooth GPS receiver which do work well but can be a pfaff.

The newer models have built in GPS which is easier.

The main issues are battery life and durability (there isn’t any).

I would recommend the O2 Orbit or MDA Compact III (same phone more or less) as they have good battery life for a PDA (about 7 hours on a low backlight setting, more if you turn the backlight off).

I currently use a MDA Compact IV which is very small but the battery life is pants. I bought an extended battery (double the life) and can get about 5.5 hours of GPS use with a high backlight on. I reckon it will get near the 7 hours with the backlight off if not more.

A good waterproof case is the Boxit range. I have used them since I started with PDAs and they have never been damaged by water or crashes.

I would also recommend RunGPS which is a bike/run specific program for GPS. Has maps and all sorts of training/racing stuff incluging heart rate.

Regards

Seamus
    Free Member

PDA works okay for me with memory map, the software is good and its easy to transfer data to and from the PDA. They aren’t as rugged as dedicated units, so I wouldn’t attach to handlebars and battery life can be limited. But to track where you’ve been and check where you are they are good. I’ve looked at the satmap, but couldn’t justify the cost for the extra benefits.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    andym
    Free Member

I use a PDA as backup to a GPS – I keep it in a plastic bag in my pocket. I haven’t tried to mount it on the bike – I’m not convinced it’s worth the faff.

Memory Map’s Navigator software seems pretty good.

It’s worth getting a couple of spare batteries if you plan to tour for more than a day.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I think you’ll find the Garmin Oregon will run OS mapping.

DrP

I used to use a PDA phone with GPS. It was sort of good, but the phrase ‘jack of all trades, master of none’ never rang so true.

I got fed up with it:
    -being too complicated
    -not being hardy enough
    -not mounting well

I’m now running a garmin edge 605 adn although it doesn’t have full mapping ,as long as I correctly map out a route using memory map, and carry a map if i make a bad move, it’s awesome.
    95% of the time i just use it to record the route i take, and as a glorified bike computer (when riding routes i already know). For this, it’s 100 times better than the PDA.

I know some people say they are happy with the PDA route, but I wasn’t, and am glad I got a ‘specific’ bike GPS thingy!

email me if you have any more questions!

DrP

snaps
    Free Member

spangelsaregreat – the durability was a concern with the PDA along with its speed of operation
    Dibbs – I spent ages in a Garmin dealer trying to explain exactly what I wanted but they seemed intent on selling me a Colorado 300 so I left!

druidh
    Free Member

Garmin OS mapping is very limited at the moment.

Have you considered Viewranger??

barney
    Free Member

I’ve got a 205 as my main navcomp; I’ve also coincidentally got a PDA phone I use as a backup – cost, batterylife and durability being the 3 main reasons it’s not on my handlebars. If I didn’t have that I’d happily just carry a map 🙂

I use the 205 because it’s cheap (especially on ebay etc) and you can follow a line you draw on memorymap (save it as a *.gpx file, then convert it to *.crs online and import it to your unit). Battery life is better, it’s smaller and it’s rugged, and you just follow the line on the screen. As there are no graphics you have to keep your wits about you, but I prefer that, to be honest.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

i’ve got an MDA compact III with built in GPS running memory map.
    Bad:
    It can be a bit slow to load at times,
    Bit’fiddly’ to use with gloves in the winter
    Very occasionaly it seems to crash – i think i have too many routes on it.
    you have to stop and get it out of your pocket to check where you are

Good:
    cheap
    OS mapping is the best on screen mapping there is
    Flexible – its a phone and can run Tom Tom too.
    full OS mapping
    Battery life has always been enough for me.
    You’ve always got it with you – found that suprisingly useful especially when you’re on someone elses route and they get lost!

Although PDA don’t look that durable, i’ve used in the winter and in the rain and its survived flying out of my pocket at 20mph when i crashed, so i think they are more durable than you think, but i still wouldn’t mount it on the bars.. My MDA compact III (2nd hand of ebay for around 60 quid) is still going strong.

i actually have a garmin 705 as well now. The crashing and no bar mount were the biggest drawbacks, but i still used it happily for several years.

snaps
    Free Member

Will the MDA work without a Simcard?

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

yes.

in fact, i’m pretty sure pocket pcs were originally designed to work without any kind of phone functions at all, and its been sort of bodged on later.

The 02 version (orbit something or other) has wifi and the T-mobile MDA doesn’t.

snaps
    Free Member

Thats useful to know.
    What minimum processor speed & memory would you recommend for Memorymap & bluetooth GPS?

5thElefant
    Free Member

I’ve had a couple of PDAs. The first one with bluetooth gps, the second with inbuilt. They’re excellent. A couple of months ago my PDA died and I couldn’t find a replacement. The PDA is dead.

So I bought an i-mate ultimate. Basically a PDA with a phone in. I run memorymap and tomtom on it. The fact that it’s a phone is a bonus.

I’ve always used a small li-ion battery pack (size of a PDA). It extents battery life to days or can be used to power a 900 lumen light for 3.5 hours (which is why I bought it in the first place).

woody2000

snaps – I just happen to have an MDA compact + bluetooth GPS receiver at home doing nowt. Could install MM + a map of your choice on it? Make me an offer 🙂
    It’s also SIM unlocked for any network
    j(dot)wood(at)freeuk(dot)com

Del

i got a mio a710 for xmas. windows mobile, built in gps and wifi, takes my old PAYG orange simm. now has mm and tomtom installed on it. haven’t used it much yet, so can’t really recommend it off hand, but you’re welcome to take a look at it some time. no idea on battery life or owt, but teh phone bit works ok, and the gps seems pretty decent at getting a lock.
    about 130 quid IF you can get one – it’s an old bit of kit ( 2006 ).

snaps
    Free Member

Can you email me the spec?

Junkyard
    Free Member

for a numpty then if I have Memory Map do I just load my copy on to the PDA and have full OS /GPS mapping then?

joe1983
    Free Member

I have Memory Maps for sale if anyone is interested? Mail in profile if you are. Ta

5thElefant
    Free Member

or a numpty then if I have Memory Map do I just load my copy on to the PDA and have full OS /GPS mapping then?

Yes. As long as it has a GPS built in our you have an external receiver.

Junkyard
    Free Member

cheers for quick response

fennerhorne
    Free Member

snaps I got an Orange SPVM2000 off of ebay for £60 and bought a GPS receiver for £20. The SPVM2000 is a touchphone (basically an iphone long b4 they appropriated the idea, like MP3s players were around years before ipods) so you can do navigate by touching the screen with your finger(nail). It’s also a phone, mp3/video player, has wifi, bluetooth, runs Word, Access etc., (has a slideout keyboard), and I use it to read ebooks. Brilliant.

andym
    Free Member

for a numpty then if I have Memory Map do I just load my copy on to the PDA and have full OS /GPS mapping then?

You install Memory Map Navigator. You also have to download the maps to the PDA – you can select how much or how little to download.

You don’t need to have GPS to run the mapping – although obviously without a GPS it won’t show your position,

spangelsaregreat
    Free Member

“spangelsaregreat – the durability was a concern with the PDA along with its speed of operation”

Using the boxit case pretty much makes it as durable as any dedicated unit to be honest. Here is a picture of it on the bike.

Speed wise all the Pocket PCs I have used have run Memory Map without any lag. I have had maybe 4 or 5 lock ups (where it has frozen mid ride) in all the times I have used them.

Most of what the others have posted in true, they are good but don’t suit everybody. Certainly a cheap alternative to a dedicated unit and with Memory Map you often get a lot more features too.

Regards

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘GPS or PDA?’ is closed to new replies.

Members Notice New deal added to Members Discounts