Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Rear mech cable thingy jobbie
  • sv

You know the u shaped thing that (I think) turns the old big loop of cable into a nice pseudo Sram staight cable. Anyhow what’s it called, are they any good and where can I buy one? Basically want to replace my X9 with my RR XT, can’t get the ‘backwards’ (to me!) shifting pattern into my head.

Maybe I imagined this piece of kit to enable the mech switch I require.

sockpuppet

rollamajig?

prettygreenparrot

weren’t they call thingumajigs? Or cable jockeys or something? They were a small wheel with a frame to guide the cable and they took it through about 80-90 degrees?

I haven’t seen one for ages. Unless there’s a new kind of one out. I had one. It worked so well I moved back to using a loop of cable and threw the wheel thing away.

Try a nice loop of cable cover or get one of these new shadow mechs that takes the cable in a direct line?

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

sv, assuming you are using a SRAM shifter, don’t think an XT mech will be compatible as it uses a different actuation ratio

thomthumb
    Free Member

rollamajig – but it DOESNT change normal rise to rapid rise.

not sure if thats what your after or not. (too early to think straight innit!!)

pinches
    Free Member

a rollamajig just makes it easier to cable route into the mech, and makes the shifting smoother with it. i run one on my intense otherwise i’d have to run a mile of cable to get from the last cable tab into the mech!

if you have an XT Shadow mech they have direct cable routing like a sram anyway, won’t mean it’ll work with a sram shifter though

prettygreenparrot

“rollamajig’ of course! They’re still NBG IMO. Try a continuous run of cable outer from shifter to mech. This lets you decide where the cable starts bending out from the frame to get the right arc for the loop to the mech. It also seems to keep shifting smooth and easy for much longer than the short runs of cable outer do.

No matter which routing you choose it won’t change the nature of your mech. Just like thomthumb says.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Rear mech cable thingy jobbie’ is closed to new replies.