Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • Rear lights – which one and there's no such thing as too bright!
  • Luminous
    Free Member

luckily I have a Giant

Giant what ?.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I expect it would be possible to just swap the LED out for a red one.

I have no idea how to do that so I’ll try the lens option. I would just stick the battery pack in a waterproof saddle pack.

Yeh I could buy a cable and run a front one too but then I’d need to buy yet another light and the idea of this would be to use one up I bought out of curiosity and don’t really have a use for.

Dibbs
    Free Member

This is plenty bright enough for me L & M Vis 180

neninja
    Free Member

Based on the recommendations on this thread I decided to buy a RSP Astrum to replace the Mars 3. First indications are good – seems well sealed, a positive switch and crikey it’s bright.

Decided to set it to pulse and see what it looks like. My eyes are still seeing red flashes now!! I’m actually worried it will totally blind drivers.

TiRed

Nothing says cyclist better than a pair of Respro ankle bands.

For commuting, I use a rack mounted B&M Toplight plus a small flashing back-up

101andy
    Free Member

Really pleased with the Lunar R2.

If you want to give your mates scarred retinas how about a Lupine and a red quality street wrapper.

andrewh
    Free Member

I happened to have a spare DX front light kicking about how would I go about converting this to a rear light?

I expect it would be possible to just swap the LED out for a red one.

No harm in fiddling with lens colours, but after a while, they will fade.

Not advocating this a solution but…
    I was out the other day, getting a bit dark and misty so I went to turn on my rear light and it wouldn’t for whatever reason. I put my back-up front light on the back (Topeak WhiteLite) and rode home. I had to comute in the dark the following dark and thinking that a white lught was better than no light I left it on, for a few days until i got a new red one.
    I noticed that cars gave me a lot more space when I had a white light at the back. I think it is plenty bright enough to be seen but confuses drivers enough to make them give me a wide brth.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

I will accept that they are deeply unfashionable but one of these

Was given to me by my dad when I moaned about traffic skimming past me uncomfortably close. “yea right, I am putting that dork fest on my bike!” Thought I. Tried it and blow me if it didn’t actually seem to make a difference!
    YMMV and all that but as an extra bit if you can bring yourself to try it, give it a go.
    It’s late and I am lazy so I think I might copy/paste this to that crappy commute thread as well…

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Any Smart superflash/lunar. 1 or 0.5 watt are ace. About £15.

SandyThePig
    Free Member

After my back light ran out of battery when I was 30 miles from home, I read this thread and minced around on various websites to see what was on offer. Yesterday I received an exposure flare and battery charger (with 2 batteries) from wiggle.

I have to say, it’s really damn bright – don’t know why I didn’t invest in one of these before, very impressed. It cost all in £48 with the charger, when wiggle had their 10% off offer.

It replaces a Blackburn Mars 4.0 – not a bad light in itself either.

didnothingfatal
    Free Member

I think I went a little OTT, after a near miss the other week on the road with a Exposure Flare I wound up with a Exposure Red Eye on the helmet and a Hope District, with the Flare as backup.

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Rear lights – which one and there's no such thing as too bright!’ is closed to new replies.