Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Rear lights – which one and there's no such thing as too bright!
  • transapp
    Free Member

Although I will say there’s such a thing as too expensive…. (Hope!)
    So, which is best?
    Blackburn Mars 3.0
    Blackburn Mars 4.0
    Smart Lunar R2
    Cateye something?

I’ve looked for a thread and couldn’t find one, but please point me there if I’m wrong!

druidh
    Free Member

Niterider Cherry Bomb. Last years 1/2 Watt one was amazing. Having ridden behind this years 1W model…eek!

It has a great lens on it which spreads the light out very effectively.

http://www.thebikechain.co.uk/NiteRider-Cherry-Bomb-1-Watt-2011083012/

I see that there’s a 3W tail-light available for the Magicshine batteries too!!!

MarkyG82

Exposure flare.

Jamie
    Free Member

For the record, I just ordered myself a Smart Lunar R2. Cheapest I found on the interwebs was £13.99 with free delivery from Tredz.

Planet-X have it for £12.49, but £2.50 shipping unless you order over £20.

Top.Dog
    Free Member
    Margin-Walker
    Free Member

bought smart lunar R1 at weekend and my mate made me turn it off tonight out training because it was doing him in.

its miles brighter than the Mars which i run at the same time

montylikesbeer
    transapp
    Free Member

Some nice choices there. I’m swinging towards the R2 at the moment = proable 2 of them at that price, one for the seatpost, one for the camelbak. I prefere all in one systems unless it’s for a head torch which I’ll live with.

crispedwheel
    Free Member

If no such thing as too bright, then a pair of helmet-mounted ay ups, mounted facing backwards and with the ‘saxon caps’ fitted. Brighter than a bright thing, and ideal if you’re riding unlit country roads at night.
    Expensive solution though, so if not, then the exposure flare (as mentioned up there ^^^) are pretty bright – USB rechargable as well iirc.

druidh
    Free Member

For country roads at night it’s more useful to have lots of reflectives.

tommytowtruck

I just bought one of those R2 lights from on-one and it is really very bright, decent visibility from the side too.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I use multiple cheap lights 3 at the moment one steady and two blinking at different rates – the idea being to have a wider area lit so one o the top of the seatpost, one on the bottom and one on the side of teh rack and lots of reflective on the bike as well

crispedwheel
    Free Member

For country roads at night it’s more useful to have lots of reflectives.

I’d go for both, doesn’t have to be mutually exclusive.

snakebite
    Free Member

cannondaleking
    Free Member

Always like the smart 1watt lights just ordered another and a rack mount cheap water tight and battery’s last and most of all really bright. They are the Ronseal of lights “does exactly what it says on the tin” 😆

Jamie
    Free Member

Some nice choices there. I’m swinging towards the R2 at the moment = proable 2 of them at that price, one for the seatpost, one for the camelbak. I prefere all in one systems unless it’s for a head torch which I’ll live with.

Get an R1 and an R2 then, from Planet-X. Prepare to burn out some poor sod’s retinas though 😉

FuzzyWuzzy

I’d go with a fibre flare if you want to be seen rather than just blind drivers coming up behind (which isn’t a very smart thing to do :p )

neninja
    Free Member

I run a combination of 2 lights on the seat post if I’m venturing on to the road.

A Blackburn Mars 3 and an Electron Pico – for under £7 (at Merlin) the Electron is superb – it’s bright enough to be seen a long way off and has an excellent slow flash option which combines well with the Mars 3 on solidly.

You can see the Electron clearly during the day too – at the weekend a ride with a mate ventured on to the road and he said it was like riding behind an F1 car with it’s poor visibility light flashing.

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop/Lighting/Bike+Lights/Rear+LED+Lights/Electron+Pico+4+LED+Rear+Light_EHP280.htm?utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=googlebase&utm_term=Rear+LED+Lights

ndg
    Free Member

I’ve got the magicshine light. It’s decently bright but the only mode I use is the always on one, the flashing modes are too poor.

It’s got seven small led’s as well as the main one and the flash mode alternates between them. On top of this the flash rate is very slow, so the main LED only flashes every second or so, plenty long enough for someone to miss it when looking between different directions. The spread from the main LED doesn’t seem that great either, so I’m now looking for something that flashes fast and wide to compliment it on the commute bike.

N.

imn

In my experience the Cateye Holy Hand Grenade (see Snakebite’s pic) is too wide, can’t easily be mounted at 90degrees, and is heavy with 4x AA. Blackburn Mars are good, and have nice mounting bracket. Smart Lunar R2 is my most recent but due to poor switch (oftern takes a while to get it to click) and difficult to open/close design I’ve not been as impressed as with the Smart Superflash. However, the R2 is bright. If I were buying again, I’d get Superflash on the bike and Fibreflare for bag/jersey/helmet a la Matt Baker on his rickshaw.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Cateye Holy Hand Grenade (see Snakebite’s pic) is too wide, can’t easily be mounted at 90degrees, and is heavy with 4x AA

It takes two AA batteries not 4. No it’s not easy to mount vertically if thats what you mean but then again that would make the side led’s pretty pointless. And I’ve not found the width an issue.

I use a combo of lights on the back – one Cateye TL-LD1100 (as pictured above) on my seatpost one row flashing and one constant and one on my camelbak one row flashiing and one constant, one fibreflare on my driveside seatstay set to flash, one cheap flashing light under my seatpost, one on my helmet and one Cateye SL110 on the shoulder strap of my camelbak. Yeh I’m lit up like a christmas tree but I am visible.

If you have lights on your offside then drivers generally give you more space.

nealy
    Free Member

RSP Astrum 2 x 1/2 watt so very similar to the Smart R2 but with no reliability or waterproof problems. It’s bright as **** with one LED providing flood and the other providing throw.

drfrasiercrane
    Free Member
    Luminous
    Free Member

I run a Holy Hand grenade and an assortment of Smart 1/2 watt and R1s.

No complaints here.
    🙂

t_i_m
    Free Member

Got some Smart Lunar 1/2 watt lights here. Very impressed and plenty bright enough, even in fog. They are so small, light and cheap that I reckon it’s a good option to fit two, so that you dont care if one fails or runs out of batttery (although they last ages).

Jamie
    Free Member

No complaints here.

You probably can’t hear them over the lumens 😉

crazy-legs

2 x Exposure Flare (seatpost mounted) and a Fibre Flare (mounted on the lower half of my rucksack).

Works really well. Always have at least 2 rear lights, if one dies midway through a ride at least you’ve got a backup.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Indeed crazy-legs, I see so many people on my commute with one rear light and its not a great idea. If it fails then you wouldn’t know, its highly unlikely that two would fail. It’s like jumping out a plane without a safety chute 😉

will
    Free Member

I use these: http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/LISMRTMINI/smart_mini_led_light_set

Plus some 2 of these:
    http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.212-3106.aspx

Tempted with an Exposure Flare though.

barrykellett
    Free Member

My Exposure flare has died and Exposure aren’t getting back to me about warranty on it.
    Its going back to Wiggle, but why bother offering a 2 year warranty and how to return it on your website if you have no interest in conversing?

Its a cracker wee light when it works. But I fear the switch mechanism is a poor design and going to be prone to failure?

rondo101
    Free Member

+1 on the RSP astrum. Very bright.

Much cheapness on Amazon at the moment too (cheaper than Cyclesurgery’s 50% off offer)

ahwiles
    Free Member

lights are good, but a bright red light in the dark is basically camouflage. So don’t forget the retro-reflectives, and the dorky ankle-straps…

i’m serious, they’re very eye-catching.

Luminous
    Free Member

You probably can’t hear them over the lumens

You got that right. Noisey flippin bunch those lumens.

You should hear the front lights at full chat

8)

Gary_M
    Free Member

If I happened to have a spare DX front light kicking about how would I go about converting this to a rear light? Could I ask a helpful maker of great lights to change the white led to a red one for example? Or would red acetate over the lens work?

ie this one

Jamie
    Free Member

lights are good, but a bright red light in the dark is basically camouflage. So don’t forget the retro-reflectives, and the dorky ankle-straps…

They are the only hi-viz/reflective stuff I use. Got them from DX of all places….luckily I have a Giant.

njee20
    Free Member

Indeed crazy-legs, I see so many people on my commute with one rear light and its not a great idea

I’ve got a Cateye LD-600 (I think it is, 5 LED long thin jobby) on my seat stay, and a Flare on my seatpost, seems a good combo (although the Flare cannot be USB charged as suggested up there somewhere). Last night I went to ride home and the LD-600 was flat, probably someone turned it on at work or something. So I turned on my Flare and set off.

20-odd miles later having ridden from the City, as I got to the M25 I realised my Flare wasn’t on either! No idea how long it hadn’t been on, but I’d not noticed any difference in the cars attitudes, no one (cyclist or driver) had said owt either. I suspect it had only been off for a short time (I’d not quite twisted the besel enough, it wasn’t flat or owt), but it was quite worrying that I’d been riding along on some busy roads with intermittent streetlights and no rear light at all, and I’m not the best at this reflective malarky. Eek.

Perhaps my Flash and Maxx-D combo puts out a big enough pool I was still obvious!

nealy
    Free Member

If I happened to have a spare DX front light kicking about how would I go about converting this to a rear light? Could I ask a helpful maker of great lights to change the white led to a red one for example? Or would red acetate over the lens work?

What diameter is the lens on it? DX sell replacement colour lenses.

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/30mm-replacement-color-glass-lens-for-flashlights-2-pack-25228

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/26-8mm-replacement-glass-lens-for-flashlights-10-pack-25229

I wear a hi-vis waistcoat thing from work, it’s not cool or trendy but it’s dark anyway so no one can see my face 😉

Gary_M
    Free Member

Ah thanks for that, not sure of the diameter. I know car lights work on the white bulb/red lens principle just wonder if it would work for this too.

mrchrispy

Dinette 140L rear, crazy bright with the best flash mode of any light.
    End of story, thread closed 🙂

Luminous
    Free Member

If I happened to have a spare DX front light kicking about how would I go about converting this to a rear light?

I expect it would be possible to just swap the LED out for a red one.

No harm in fiddling with lens colours, but after a while, they will fade.

Further more, splice up the cable on the battery and you could run front and rear from one battery……..

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Rear lights – which one and there's no such thing as too bright!’ is closed to new replies.