Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Rear hub 12mm x 142mm confusion
  • MrFannay
    Free Member

I’m slightly confused as I’m getting a new Yeti frame that will take a standard 135mm QR rear hub or has a ‘chip’ system to take a 12mm x 142mm axle. Now, as I want a new pair of wheels I cant find anywhere that stocks the 142mm standard….. have I got it wrong as Hope do 12mm x 135mm but are these the right hubs or not, their website & Yeti’s are no help either.

pastcaring
    Free Member

i’m pretty sure hope do a pro2 conversion kit for 12×142.

Skyline-GTR
    Free Member

The 142mm standard is a Syncros design. I’m sure hub manufacturers are adopting it and making hubs available, but they do seem to be a bit thin on the ground ATM.
    Give Hope a ring on 01282851200 they’ll let you know which hub or conversion kit you need. Although i think the idea behind 142mm is to run wider centre to flange widths to improve lateral rigidity in the wheel. So it’s more likely to be a new hub rather than a conversion kit.

pastcaring
    Free Member

from the hope site:

PRO 2 HUBS – DESCRIPTION
    The now proven range of Pro2 hubs have gone from strength to strength since they were launched. Countless tests, reviews and of course rider feedback have shown that the Pro2 is everything that we designed it to be.
    This hub features a one piece 7075 aluminium rotor body and pawl carrier. Four pawls engage into a twenty-four tooth steel ratchet which is fixed into the hub shell and is sealed with a frictionless, non contact labyrinth seal. The axle runs on five cartridge bearings. All Pro2 hubs are standard 6 bolt disc compatible.
    The hub shell is machined from a solid billet of 2014 T6 aluminium.
    The following types are available and can be interchanged with additional spacers/axles which are available separately:
    – Front QR
    – Front 20mm
    – Front 15mm
    – Front 9mm
    – Front Maverick fork
    – Rear QR
    – Rear 10mm Saint
    – Rear 12mm (135)
    – Rear 12mm (142) X12
    – Rear 10mm Bolt in (135)
    – The rear hub is also available in 12mm/150mm wide (note this is a new hub. Not a conversion) and also a trials / singlespeed (see separate page)

pastcaring
    Free Member

i think you mean syntace not syncros

Skyline-GTR
    Free Member

You’re right, bit of a senior moment there!

Speeder

The extra 3.5mm/side is so that you can use a bolt through axle with the ease of fitment of a QR (so long as you have a Maxle type araangement). It’s just like a regular bolt through 135x12mm but with a cup at each side for the extended axle to fall into while you try and line up the axle to go through the hub. Simple but clever.

Explanation Here

MrFannay
    Free Member

Cheers for that guys

coatesy
    Free Member

I’ve been asking for years why can’t they make a 12mm dropout with guides, Fox did it with the 20mm front and everyone followed their common-sense approach, seems that somebody’s listening after all.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Go on the Syntace website, they have a list of which hubs currently use X-12 or convert to it, hope pro 2 included.

messiah
    Free Member

WAIT FOR THE PRO 2 EVO 😈

The Pro 2 rear hub has a problem with 12mm axles breaking.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Rear hub 12mm x 142mm confusion’ is closed to new replies.