Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • rear derailleur – Shadow or non-Shadow
  • jglaysher
    Free Member

Can you please explain the difference?

clubber
    Free Member

Shadow on the right – it’s more ‘out of the way’ but IMO they’re less robust since the fixing point is pretty flimsy. The cable routing on the shadow is better though.

Shadow:

Non-shadow:

Dino
    Free Member

Dino
    Free Member

[/url]

GW
    Free Member

Shadow mechs are weak with an extra pivot to go sloppy but do have better cable routing. the lower profile is fairly irrelivent IMO if you catch a mechs parallelogram on stuff it’s not because it sticks out too much it’s because you didn’t get your line right.

If I wanted a decent (light, strong & cheap) rear derailleur, I’d prob still go with an old skool road mech.

jglaysher
    Free Member

Thank you all for your great answers and pics 🙂

regular XT rear mech ordered

soobalias
    Free Member

what does the sram x9 profile look like in comparison.

jools182
    Free Member

eee you learn something new every day

I thought shadow meant it only had the barrel adjusters on the shifters, not the derailleur

😳

bigyinn
    Free Member

Personally I prefer the shadow to the regular version (have one of each). The cage spring on the shadow is stronger so stops the chain slapping about as much.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Dunno, but in a week’s riding on properly rocky trails in Spain (switchbacks.com, go there, you wont regret it) just about everyone bent their rotors, but no bent mechs (3x SRAM, 1 shadow, 2 normal) ???????

IMO its a waste of money as the cage is still in the same place and they don’t do a rapid rise version.

tandemwarriors

Recently changed from old skool XT to shadow, and have to agree with bigyinn, the stronger spring is very noticable, much less flappy chain.

T1berious
    Free Member

I switched from a regular XT to a shadow XT and haven’t noticed it being weaker, saying that I’m pretty careful with my lines (HT doesn’t forgive).

fotorat
    Free Member

I prefer rapid/reverse rise too

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘rear derailleur – Shadow or non-Shadow’ is closed to new replies.