Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • rear cassette wobble-what can it be?
  • crasher
    Free Member

Just given the bike a good clean and when I've put the back wheel back on, the gears are skipping, so after a quick mess I noticed that the cassette wobbles as though its buckled when I spin the back wheel. Even when the cassette isn't turning and the wheel is, its wobbling around. Any ideas as to what it could be?

z1ppy

knackered freehub? What's the hub?

goldenwonder
    Free Member

what hub/cassette is it?

JonR
    Free Member

Either a loose freehub or you missed one of the rings or spacers of your cassette I'd guess.

crasher
    Free Member

The hub is shimano deore and the cassette is shimano, I've had it since new and I'm pretty sure it didn't do that when I got it so doubt its a missed spacer.

foxyrider
    Free Member

TBH if you read teh threads shim freehub bodys wobble – my mate has an XT hub and wobble quite a bit but does not seem to be causing a problem 🙂

I suspect the axle bends a bit and give rise to freehub body wobble 🙂

crasher
    Free Member

Thanks for the links, just read the posts, I'll just try and sort the gears and leave it alone! If I can't do it then I'll take it to the lbs for them to a a quick look at, see what they think.

bigyinn
    Free Member

My Deore wheel has this too. Bike hung up, spin the wheel and you can see the rear cassette move about 1mm left to right. Im Guessing there is a slight bend in the axle or the hub flange isn't 100 perperndicular to the axle. Doesnt seem to affect it in use though. I think i've had this with other Shimano wheels in the past, hence why i have hope these days!

crasher
    Free Member

Yeah that's exactly what happens, enough people seem to have had this with no real effect on performance, good enough for me!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘rear cassette wobble-what can it be?’ is closed to new replies.