Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Really stupid cat question?
  • Mark84
    Free Member

We adopted a cat yesterday. He seems to settling in well despite my two young boys. He has started jumping onto my lap while purring then sticks his claws as far as he can into my legs. He won’t stop this until I put him back on the floor. What is he trying to do? How can I stop him doing it to my boys in the future.

yossarian
    Free Member

It’s a cat

It has claws

It absolutely will not be trained

Put a cushion on your lap

DrDomRob
    Free Member

Does he kneed on your knee? If so this is a good thing, he is showing how happy he is to be adopted by you 🙂

+ 1 Yossarian

showerman
    Free Member

cut his claws mine do it just when i am going to sleep 👿

molgrips
    Free Member

They knead the people they like. Wear thicker trousers 🙂

philconsequence
    Free Member

Mark84
    Free Member

His claws do look really sharp, he was at rehoming centre for 3 months. I will get his claws cut although I may give him some time to settle in first. Its the first time I have had a Cat I’m more used to having Dogs around. He seems relatively ‘trained’ he used his litter box without any encouragement. I wish my son would do the same with his potty 😀

spooky_b329

Turn it upside down, hold its paws, wrap it in a blanket. One of ours used to walk up your chest whilst kneading which wasn’t comfortable! Better than dribbling though!

petey_pants
    Free Member

For all you cat people link

project
    Free Member

Put smartie tubes on his legs, 🙂

Just wait until he catches a testicle, then…………….

Cougar

The kneading is a throwback to encouraging milk flow as kittens I believe. I’d take it as a compliment, mummy.

Flaperon

It’s a cat. Cats do this.

imnotverygood

Yes. It means he loves you. You can reciprocate by screaming as he does it. It will help build the bonds between you.

Mark84
    Free Member

The kneading is a throwback to encouraging milk flow as kittens I believe. I’d take it as a compliment, mummy.

I think he is out of luck if he is expecting me to start lactating anytime soon! Thanks for the advice, he is still kneading me as I’m typing this:)

ski
    Free Member

Yea, it sounds like he is happy to be loved & in a home.

Give him a week & he will be destroying your Christmas tree 😉

Saying that, we used to have a psycho tom cat (British Blue rescue cat) who would jump on you lap purring and padding you, he would slowly work his way up to your face, when you were nearly nose to nose, he would then plant his claws and fangs deep into your face!

The sod!

You have been warned ;-0

Mark84
    Free Member

Yea, it sounds like he is happy to be loved & in a home.

Give him a week & he will be destroying your Christmas tree

Saying that, we used to have a psycho tom cat (British Blue rescue cat) who would jump on you lap purring and padding you, he would slowly work his way up to your face, when you were nearly nose to nose, he would then plant his claws and fangs deep into your face!

The sod!

You have been warned ;-0
    That sounds terrible, did he eventually calm down? I am quite surprised how clingy this cat is, I was expecting him(KitCat) to keep to himself.

mrsflash
    Free Member

you don’t need to cut his claws, get him a scratching post. When he starts to go out he will scratch them on trees as well. MTFU and take it as a compliment 🙂

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Simon’s Cat …..made me laugh 😀

grtdkad
    Free Member

Here’s me thinking you had a ‘really stupid cat’

cranberry
    Free Member

Yep – you are now his mum, and he loves you.

Some info on cat communication.

Cats do what cats want do do.

The end

trailertrash

Cats. All take, no give.

Mark84
    Free Member

You don’t need to cut his claws, get him a scratching post. When he starts to go out he will scratch them on trees as well. MTFU and take it as a compliment

We bought him a fancy three tier scratching post,he seems to like sitting on the top of it rather than scratching it. I was more worried about him accidently hurting the kids, he likes to sit on them too. He has been patient though even when one of the boys decided to show me where the cats eyes were by poking him while saying ‘ cats eye’. We have been told not to let him out for at least the next month, he ran away from his last couple of homes.

grtdkad – Member

Here’s me thinking you had a ‘really stupid cat’ I should have said ignorant new cat’s owner wants to ask silly questions. I dont think the cat is stupid at all.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

trailertrash – Member
    Cats. All take, no give.

Nonsense!

ericemel
    Free Member

For some reason this post has me in stitches

I think you have a pretty nice cat, the kids with learn as will the cat but kitkat seems pretty tollerant already and a happy cat.

Cougar

one of the boys decided to show me where the cats eyes were by poking him while saying ‘ cats eye’. We have been told not to let him out for at least the next month, he ran away from his last couple of homes.

I’m ringing the NSPCC.

Mark84
    Free Member

one of the boys decided to show me where the cats eyes were by poking him while saying ‘ cats eye’. We have been told not to let him out for at least the next month

I’m ringing the NSPCC.

Its the naughty step extreme 😆

bassspine
    Free Member

Cat clawing is particularly painful in the summer when you’re wearing shorts. DAMHIKIJKOK

chewkw
    Free Member

…my lap while purring then sticks his claws as far as he can into my legs.

That’s normal as he is just getting cosy with you and he likes you.

Trampus
    Free Member

Cats have scent glands in their paws, as well as various other parts!
    They use these to mark out safe nesting places.

As has been already said, you have a happy cat and are honoured! 😀

Mark84
    Free Member

Trampus – Member

Cats have scent glands in their paws, as well as various other parts!
    They use these to mark out safe nesting places.

As has been already said, you have a happy cat and are honoured! Apparently like his head he has been walking around gently nudging everyone 😆

tazzymtb

one of our cats was an evil little monster and had death breath that could strip wall paper at 30 paces.

His favorite trick to get you up for food time in the morning was by standing on your windpipe, wait for you to wake up a and gasp for air and then remove paw from windpipe and breath in your mouth at the same time.

He actually made me throw up doing that when I was hung over.

At this stage I realised that all cats are criminal masterminds and we are mere dumb puppets in their bid to take over the world

Trampus
    Free Member

Mark84, yes they are in their cheeks…..hence the head rubbing.

Don’t ask what they do when feeling unsafe! 😈

hels
    Free Member

My cat does this, perfectly normal. If cats are inside for a while their claws don’t wear down, you can trim them with nail clippers (if you are lucky and they will let you !) or buy a really really expensive piece of wood furniture and they will scratch that. Luckily my cat has a taste for cheap Ikea shelves.

My cat also has good tactic for waking me up – she pokes at my eyes with her paws until they open. Open eyes = awake = food. Not daft.

Post us a pic ??

ahwiles
    Free Member

cats are brilliant, and evil, and a bit antisocial, and they can Yodel!

yodeling cats!

jools182
    Free Member

imnotverygood has the best solution. Either that or get a dog 😉

mrsflash
    Free Member

our cats weren’t interested in the scratching post till we rubbed it with cheese. 😀

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

The cat is just marking you out as his.

YOU’RE HIS BIATCH NOW!

Macavity
    Free Member

If it starts doing this
    http://mentalfloss.cachefly.net/wp-content/uploads/2007/04/invisible_bike_410.jpg

then it means can I have a bike for Christmas.

organic355
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s13dLaTIHSg[/video]

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Really stupid cat question?’ is closed to new replies.