Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 127 total)
  • real world bike weights ??
  • Chainline
    Free Member

Or even a saddle. My favourite saddle is Saevid S1.2 at 72g, saving some 200g or close to half pound over a ‘normal’ saddle. As mentioned a good foam grip is 100g lighter than lock ons. Even the length of your steerer becomes an aggregate weight…but it does depend on what you do and how strong you are as to whether it really matters between reasonable limits say 26lb-32lb. Too light for gravity stuff and it gets more difficult to make std suspension work effectively etc..some weights on here do make me raise an eyebrow and draw a gentle smile…

julians
    Free Member

That’s the thing innit, you don’t know the group set, finishing kit, tyres etc, can easily lose 2lbs there. My seatpost and saddle (obviously not a dropper) is 270g, my bar and stem is 215g. You can easily lose a pound over other setups in those bits.

Yep agree, but even if the finishing kit was 2 lb lighter than the stuff I have on mine, theres still the fact that toms enduro has coil fork, coil shock, and a reverb seatpost, whereas mine as air shock, air fork , and regular seatpost, so it should even out. Its all a bit vague without the actual specs of each component to see where the ‘lightness’ is coming from, but I am very surprised that you can get an 06 enduro with coil fork,coil shock and reverb seatpost down to 32lb or so.

Hell, my Ibis mojo HD with coil fork, ccdb air, reverb, carbon rims, carbon bars, 1 x 10 gears, tubeless tyres, is only 1 lb lighter than that enduro.

If theres a chunk of weight I can get off my Ibis without changing the things that make it what it is I’m all ears. On the other hand maybe my scales are weighing on the heavy side.

matther01
    Free Member

Steve1 – would be interesting to do a direct build comparison between our bikes as mine is a 16″ running air forks and yet we both seem to have the same weight?

Scamper
    Free Member

Surprised my 2×9 Meta AM was only 33lbs with air lyriks,180/203 Zee brakes, Pro 2 Flows and Reverb.

Some don’t believe my old 1×9 rockhopper is only 23lbs “because its just a rockhopper”, but virtually everything had been replaced on it over the years. Seems pretty easy to get that weight for a HT with normal kit as long as the frame is light to start with. Anything much lighter and things must start to get expensive.

maxtorque

Worth noting that last year, whilst i had my whole bike stripped for a frame change, i took all the parts to work and measured the mass of each bit individually on their 0.1g scales which get calibrated every 6months, so the entire bike mass should be +-10g or so at absolute worst. Back then, the bike was running light tyres, in 140mm mode with a 2×10 XT/XTR drivetrain, and this was the result:

Stripped like this:

Masses like this:

Since then, i’ve beefed it up, and gone 160mm, and that change has cost me pretty much about 1kg extra (most of that being in the tyres)

(and gone 1by in the drivetrain dept)

_daveR
    Free Member

@maxtorque, that’s excellent, I love a pie chart lol.

Planning a strip and repaint of mine this winter so will do the same.

GolfChick
    Free Member

Just managed to pip the OHs bike to the the post by 0.1 of a pound! Woohoo!

teasel
    Free Member

some weights on here do make me raise an eyebrow and draw a gentle smile…

I didn’t take this personally, but in the interests of clarity can we not adopt the non-bike related discussion technique of cut and paste used by Junkyard et al highlighting who, exactly, is being referred to. Gives them a chance to provide evidence, surely.

You sound like an artistic Roger Moore using those terms, btw… 😉

Speeder

This last time I checked was 29lb on my “happy scales” but I’ve added a reverb and fitted lighter cranks & pedals since then so it’s till there or thereabouts.

This on the same scale is 39lbs

And that’s fulll on 5 weeks in the Alps spec. Does have a few Ti bits on it mind but I could still loose some weight if I went for carbon rims or even Flows.

Happy scales

Northwind

I do like the Optimistic Weight Thing. I had a Last Herb DH which was pretty well weightweenied other than the coils, it was high 30 somethings, I forget. Mate of mine had the same bike, with heavier forks, heavier wheels, heavier tyres… Heavier pretty much everything except from the drivetrain, which was exactly the same. But it was, on his magic scales, 3 lbs lighter than mine. The reason. “Size small innit”.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Just bought a set of digital fishing scales to get this sorted. 31lb 5 oz. Trigger 29 medium, lefty Supermax, tubed Hans Damfs. Dropper post. Genuinely surprised, thought the bathroom scales were close.

Pauly

Bronson C, 150mm both ends, Reverb Stealth, XX1, 2.35 Hans Dampfs, XTR Trail pedals

26.38lbs on the LBS scales

TiRed

Steel Genesis ioid SS with light wheels is about 13kg
    Nice road is 7.25kg without trying hard
    Race bike is 7.8 kg
    Steel commuting fixed wheel is 9kg summer and 10 kg winter.

I like bikes to feel light, but am not obsessive. The Nice bike could easily drop a kilo with Dura Ace and light carbon tubular wheels. It’s the lightest frame Giant make. But it “feels” light enough already.

The SS is not that light, but I get it up hills by throwing it around OK

mrblobby
    Free Member

LBS scales, are they all deliberately calibrated to under read to please customers? 🙂

Saccades
    Free Member

Dont think so mate same scales weighed my naked soul frame @ 2.1kg which is bang on the higher side of the estimated weight

Presuming your scales give a linear reading and that the manufacturer met the designers specs.

Chromed 456 with alfine, xm819 and rc41f was half an ounce under 32lb on about an accurate scale as you can get, MT KC300.

maxtorque

Pauly
    Bronson C, 150mm both ends, Reverb Stealth, XX1, 2.35 Hans Dampfs, XTR Trail pedals

I think your bike shop needs to calibrate their scales properly.

Compare than to my carbon zesty, in a similar spec, and i can’t quite see where you have lost an entire KG??

(unless the entire frame only weighs 1kg…………)

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Just got back from p a curry and was sad enough to think ” ooh! Why not weigh the commuter?”
    Giant Escape 2. Flat bars and V8s. 26lb 3oz.

Not quite got the nerve to suggest Lucy tries the scales. I’m sure she ‘knows’ her weight.

davidy
    Free Member

My Buzzard was 34lb when I first built it, now its just under 28lb

everyone
    Free Member

All mine were weighed with the super accurate my weight + bike weight on the bathroom scales method.

XC race: 10.5kg
    Rigid SS: 10.1kg
    Road: 9.5kg

For a laugh I worked out that if I spent enough I could drop ~740g from the race bike without getting anything too exotic.

stewartc
    Free Member

Pivot Mach6 (Medium frame) with 160mm Pikes, XX1 and XTR build.

12.28kg with pedals which is not too bad considering it wasn’t spec’d for weight saving, its cheaper and healthier for me to lose weight anyway.

adsh
    Free Member

I think scales are the main culprit. +/- 2% on a 24lb bike would mean a difference of nigh on a whole pound between an optimistic set and a pessimistic set. I’ve calibrated digital scales that have proven to be much worse.

rhayter

I thought my Big Top would come out over 26lbs as the claimed frame weight of 4.4lbs was actually 4.8… So I was pleasantly surprised by 24.78lbs. (It may be a bit heavier now as I’ve changed saddle and tyres since this shot was taken). No matter how light, it still feels like it weighs a ton when I’m knackered and faced with another bloody wet root strep-up…

10.83kg on my cheap Chinese eBay scale.
    Not the lightest rims and I could swap for a carbon seat post and smaller discs and lose the bar ends, but other than that, I reckon it’s about as light as you can go for a metal frame.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

@maxtorque

gorgeous looking bike BTW.

Pauly

maxtorque – Member

Pauly

I think your bike shop needs to calibrate their scales properly.

Compare than to my carbon zesty, in a similar spec, and i can’t quite see where you have lost an entire KG??

(unless the entire frame only weighs 1kg…………)

Hi Max,

I don’t think the bikes are a similar spec;

XT/XTR mix v XX1
    Crossmax ST wheels v SRAM Roam 60 carbons
    Formula R1 w/ 200 & 180mm rotors v X0 Trail w/ 180 & 160mm rotors
    V8 pedals v XTR Trail

Easily a whole kg there at least.

maxtorque

The 28.6lb weight of my zesty is with placcy nukeproof pedals, not the V8s, and XX1 cranks with XTR+42T cassette

Toasty

I don’t think the bikes are a similar spec;

XT/XTR mix v XX1
    Crossmax ST wheels v SRAM Roam 60 carbons
    Formula R1 w/ 200 & 180mm rotors v X0 Trail w/ 180 & 160mm rotors
    V8 pedals v XTR Trail

Easily a whole kg there at least.

A kilogram where? The wheels, pedals and brakes weigh much the same. Given the above info there can’t be more than about 200g extra weight in those 3 combined.

chiefgrooveguru

14.3kg / 31.5lbs for this:

I just got curious about where weight could be saved: The Super Gravity Magic Mary is a bit of a beast, the SLX double+bash cranks are pretty solid, the CCDBair is a lot heavier than a smaller shock, and the Flow EX rims are on the burlier side for this bike. Swap them for appropriate but lighter parts and that would knock off just over a kilo. Take the pedals off for magazine weights and it’s down to 12.8kg / 28.1lbs.

But it climbs better than my 26.5lb hardtail so I really can’t see the point of any changes!

campfreddie
    Free Member

20.35lbs on the scales… scalpel 3 carbon with 650b wheels, size large and a 1×10 set up.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Oooooh! Nice.
    Love the big green cog. And what rotors are those?

everyone
    Free Member

Yea but what does it weigh with sensible tyres on 😉

campfreddie
    Free Member

the rotors are these:- http://www.xcracer.com/shop/viewproduct.php?productid=299 … they work so much better than the alligator windcutters i have used before.

as for the tyres… with ra-ra or ra-ro combo maybe a couple of hundred grams more. my reasoning for fitting them was more about clearance on the seatstay when fitting 650b wheels… with the thunder burts, there is very respectable clearance and they roll as fast as a fast thing.

i have a yeti sb-66 for gnarly stuff, so can be quite xc focussed with the scalpel.

chiefgrooveguru

So how much slower uphill is the SB66 (and what does it weigh)?

campfreddie
    Free Member

I haven’t weighed the SB66 yet but it’s not light. The frame is very heavy indeed even if the rest of the build isn’t (pikes, arch ex/hopes, 1×10, haven carbon, reverb etc etc) BUT it does climb seem like a mountain goat, certainly better than the ASR5 which came before it, which was a disappointment against the Turner Flux that came before that.

I’m quite sure the Cannondale will romp away on the ups and the flats, but on the downs, the SB-66 magic really comes into play.

hairyscary

32.5lbs on scales that are calibrated every 6 months. I always think people’s weight claims are always on the optimistic side.

IMAG0556 by MattNSmith, on Flickr

ahwiles
    Free Member

chiefgrooveguru – Member

I just got curious about where weight could be saved: … the SLX double+bash cranks are pretty solid…

the cranks themselves really aren’t that heavy – they’re only 20g or so heavier than Xt cranks.

But the slx bash-ring weighs about 200g, which is a *bit* hefty.

ace looking bike btw!

sykik
    Free Member

Mine is a claimed 31.8lbs / 14.4 kg’s. Pretty happy with that to be fair as I haven’t made any concious attempt to slim it down. My last bike was comparable to the weight of a small moon so this one feels pretty lightweight to me.

rudedog
    Free Member

28lbs on the button for my ragley mmmbop – 150mm pikes, hope\mavic 719 wheels, slx\xt drivetrain, hope tech brakes & reverb

Interesting to see so many AM FS bikes weighing similar/less, seems I’d need to spend a fortune if I upgraded to a FS frame and wanted to keep the weight similar.

nathans77
    Free Member

Can finally join in as picked up from lbs and got them to weigh it.

Tallboy LTC in XXL, X01 drivetrain, reverb, crossmax STs and Pikes came in at 12.7kg with pedals, happy with that for a bike bike 🙂

RickDraper
    Free Member

Santa Cruz Nomad 650B, medium, Pikes, CCDBA CS, Enve AM’s, DT240S hubs, Maxxis HR II’s, XX1 drivetrain, RF Next SL cranks, reverb 150mm, Enve DH bars, XTR brakes 28.5lbs

Cotic Soul 2013/14, 17″, Fox 32 RLC 130mm, ZTR Flow EX rims, DT240S hubs, XT groupset 2×10, 31.6mm 380 reverb, specialized purgatory and butcher, Havoc carbon bars, 26.9lbs

Specialized S-Works Tarmac SL-4, 54cm, Fulcrum racing zeros, Dura Ace 9000 groupo, S-Works 2014 carbon chainset and carbon spide, Pro Vibe bars, 14.9lbs

Specialized S-Works Venge Cavendish, 54cm, Zipp 404 clinchers, King hubs, Dura Ace 9070 groupo, Zipp bars, S-Works 2014 carbon chainset and carbon spider, 15.5lbs

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 127 total)

The topic ‘real world bike weights ??’ is closed to new replies.