Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • RC Car for me errr I mean my son for Xmas
  • monkeychild
    Free Member

I know it’s only just October. But my lad is 5 and one of my mum’s friends gave him an rc car. Frankly it’s rubbish(but I did appreciate their kindness). He really enjoys it (when it works) so I’m after something we can use in the garden etc probs up to £100.

howarthp

I quite like the ones at http://www.nitrotek.co.uk. Covers most budgets

aracer
    Free Member

Got one of these http://helion-rc.com/animus18SC/ for my son last Xmas when he was almost 7. Pretty happy with it, though if anything it’s a bit quick for him in a limited space – fine if you have lots of room (I’ve modified the controller to limit the max speed, but I doubt that’s something most would be happy with). My 5yo definitely needs help with it, and he’s more than happy with something a lot slower.

Unfortunately you’ll have a similar issue with most hobby type cars around that price. I’d suggest you have a look at a “rock crawler” which is something which goes a lot slower. Though we also have a £15 one from Argos which is still going fine after a couple of years and my little one loves.

StirlingCrispin

Been there!
    And so I’d recommend something like a rock crawler!

My 7-yr old got a Maverick ion for Xmas. Stupidly fast but Thump learnt to handle that. Problem is, even with plenty of space (we have a school playground next door) it’s been broken a lot: mainly when friends have had a go and then run into it walls and posts at full speed. Cue, lots of tears on Xmas day when his wee brother broke a suspension strut.

And the battery only lasts 20mins or so, which means a spare is essential.
    http://www.wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/123869/

Previous years we’ve had more fun with slower cars. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Splitster-Extreme-Tumbling-Spinning-Stunt/dp/B005X6QOME

Or this thing that could be run through puddles
    (ours was £20 from Halfords. Shame I picked it up one day while we were playing at the skate park and ripped the aerial off as the body shell separated. Meant the boys had to run with it to keep up – which was a good work out)
    http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3882380.htm

monkeychild
    Free Member

Saw that Nikko and thought it looked OK.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

If you go for a Tamiya, the 4WD ones are much easier to control* on the loose stuff

*We only crash ours every 15 seconds.

passtherizla
    Free Member

Also interested in this, electric though for sure, just commenting for later.

curvature
    Free Member

I can’t remember the name but I used a company last December and they were doing the Tamiya kits with RC gear and batteries for under £100. Ok it was a basic model but if you want something to build up then they were very good.

I’ll do a search and find the name of them.

kristoff
    Free Member

My children and I share a tamiya lunchbox.. It doesn’t handle great it rolls over round tight corners when travelling at speed, it does wheelies…. Half the fun is it rolling over and being a bit wild.

They generally end up in fits of giggles when it wheelies or rolls over.

Remember they’re supposed to be fun at that sort of age. Not just something to drive round in circles.

Harry_the_Spider

That Tamiya Grasshopper deal is sooooo tempting.

monkeyp

My 7 year old (and I) have a Lunchbox each. They are great. Crash loads, flip, wheelie, jump and are generally an absolute hoot. Also cheap to fix and pretty strong – although we are currently running on one body mount each! Be careful of upgrade-itus though.

Mine is stock with new shocks and better motor, his has a custom body, shocks and motor.

Such fun 🙂

flip
    Free Member

Just building one of these:

http://www.axialracing.com/products/ax90027

For ME and my son…

monkeychild
    Free Member

Oodles of info!! I am saying Grasshopper, but the Mrs is saying get thee to Smyths and buy that Nikko as he’s only 5!!!

aracer
    Free Member

As usual mrs monkeychild is right – and you know it!

andyl
    Free Member

I hate grasshoppers! Used to race proper RC cars and the comparison was like a 2CV versus a World Rally Car. It was fun flicking them off into the barriers though 😈

But for a £100 that is a cracking price for which, despite my earlier comment, is a proper RC car that can be used anywhere and won’t get stuck on a blade of grass longer than 20mm. The design must be 30 years old which is testament to the designers.

But I would say he is too young for it and it’s a waste of pennies. It is only a 380 motor but with a modern speed controller (I used to be sponsored by mtroniks!) and batteries will still be pretty potent. If you don’t want to buy a cheap toy then I would second the advice of a rock crawler. ie something that is slow but will be usable just about everywhere. It will teach control too.

I remember my first RC car was a Porsche 944 from Tandy. I stripped the gearbox on it but back then even something that basic had spares back up and I swapped out the gearbox and motor for a new assembly. I must have been about 6 so not much older than your lad and that car was pretty much in the ‘toy’ category these days.

monkeychild
    Free Member

As usual mrs monkeychild is right – and you know it!

Wimmin!!! 😀

PTR
    Free Member

Maisto rock Crawler, get one each!

demonracer

I’d get him the grasshopper, you can fit a 540 size motor in 55 turn or even 80 turn variants to slow it down of it’s too fast for him. £100 might seem like a lot to spend on a toy car to your wife but some of my fondest childhood memories are thrashing my Tamiya thunder shot around with my dad while he tinkered with his nitro powered car trying to get it to run properly! I was 6 at the time and still have it 22 years later as a fully restored shelf queen.

On the flip side I’m now heavily involved in the scale rock crawling side of things, a mavericks count would be a good choice for the budget you and and would be a lot of fun and something you could develop over time. Have a look over on http://www.scalerc.co.uk if you want more information on the crawlers or scalers.

monkeychild
    Free Member

That rock crawler looks bonkers for the cash. We have some prime territory for it out the front of the house!! Agh lol

dannybgoode

Wish I hadn’t started reading this thread. God this stuff is cheap theses days.

I had a Tamiya Thundershot as my first rc car and it cost me a years paper rounds to buy.

Woods love one now-will have to have a serious look when Mrs Danny it’s out!

aracer
    Free Member

Wish I hadn’t started reading this thread. God this stuff is cheap theses days.

You can also get very good planes and helicopters for similar money 😉

marcus
    Free Member

I relived my yooof by building up a Tamiya Hotshot last year. Hours of fun for me building it up on cold winter nights and the kids (3 & 5) haven’t broken it yet by crashing it into walls. Tempted by a helicopter this winter.

nemesis
    Free Member

I’ve got my old Cougar 2000 but the RC gear is a little flaky – reckoning that it’d be worthwhile getting some new electronics particularly as they seem to be waterproof nowadays. Also the way Nem Jnr crashes it I suspect it’d be worth me getting a new car that other parts are available for.

Some great deals above though.

ourmaninthenorth

+1 for the revival feeling.

My 25 year old(!) Midnight Pumpkin was rescued from my parents when the moved house a few years ago. It’s been sitting in my houses all that time, but now I think my daughter’s old enough (4…) to enjoy the lunacy.

Needs new body mounts (natch) and I’d like to go back to a slower motor (put a Parma Stock motor in) and change the rear shocks back to the bouncy springs (I fitted oil damped coil-overs).

Right, that’s it. I’m hitting the online shops!

nemesis
    Free Member

I stuck a slow motor in my Cougar 2000 and with current 3000mah batteries, it lasts ages now which is great for my son.

wilko1999
    Free Member

“current 3000mah batteries” 😀

My son is 10 months old, I’m thinking one of those Rock Crawlers will be ideal for him 🙂

nemesis
    Free Member

Oh I know but I mean current and cheap…. 2000mah was the best we had when I stopped racing…

wilko1999
    Free Member

Sorry no it was my rubbish cheesy Monday morning joke – amps being the unit for current. I’ll get my coat 😳

nemesis
    Free Member

Oh, er great joke 😉

Northwind

I knew the risks when I clicked this thread, now I want a Vaporizr.

cyclistm
    Free Member

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/carrera-rc-red-bull-nx1/rc-car-products/378611

recommended. bomb proof so far after a couple of years being crashed into the kerb

Tom83

Why did I click thay link?! Flashbacks to looking through the tamiya catalogue in my youth – Working out how long it’d take me to save up. Did have quite a nice tamiya rc car, pug 306 rally sport shell, with a few mechanical upgrades. I always wanted a montser truck, think I’ll treat myself!

Harry_the_Spider

Hmmm…

I’ve been spending too much time looking at the Tamiya bundle deals on Goldstarstockists website.

Toss up between this

big toy#1

and this

big toy#2

Both with additional ball bearings, larger capacity batteries and quick chargers giving a total of £130+. To me The Grasshopper looks better but the Rising Fighter has a bigger motor.

All of this is academic I suppose as the merest thought of spending money on myself usually brings about some sort of catastrophic and expensive failure on the bike.

Interestingly the RC forums slag the pair of them off in much the same way that STW would a £250 Carrera MTB. Who cares, I only want it for buzzing about in the local park with my lad.

Crell
    Free Member

One for a Yeti fanatic? If that’s not a tie-up with the Yeti bikes their (TM) & design is a bit questionable!

http://www.wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/230510/

curvature
    Free Member

What I would say is that the cheaper Tamiya cars are not as solid as the more expensive ones.

We bought the Rising Fighter deal for my Dad as a present and although he enjoyed building it up he gave it to my son after a while.

My son (7yrs) already had a Desert Gator that I had bought as a second hand unit. The Desert Gator is still fine but all the track rods are bent on the Rising Fighter as it just isn’t as strong.

Nothing that can’t be fixed though.

Harry_the_Spider

Can all of the weaker suspension components be upgraded over time as they wear or break, or do you have to bin the chasis and start again?

Tom83

Will I regret buying the lunchbox deal, or should I get something with a lower centre of gravity?

monkeychild
    Free Member

Gone for one of those Maisto Rock Crawler Jrs. If he gets the bug then we may look at something for his birthday, if not I get a toy 😀

nosedive
    Free Member

just dont buy it from nitrotek. terrible customer service

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘RC Car for me errr I mean my son for Xmas’ is closed to new replies.