Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • RC Car for me errr I mean my son for Xmas
  • curvature
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure Tamiya do all sorts of upgrades or hop ups I think they call them

andyl
    Free Member

No idea what make this is or if it’s any good but this looks remarkably like the old Associated RC10 B2 I used to race (depressingly when I work it out) 16 years ago.

http://www.goldstarstockists.net/live/catalog/1st-choice-rc-car-firelands-helion-criterion-30mph-rc-buggy-110-waterproof-84v-all-in-one-powerful-p-56428.html

If it is then it should handle a lot better than a grasshopper and has a proper sized (540) motor.

aracer
    Free Member

A 30mph buggy sounds perfect for a 5yo

andyl
    Free Member

I meant for Harry. Duh!

OP has already made his mind up.

hellwraith
    Free Member

I’ve heard a sales bloke telling me that fathers buy remote control cars/helecopters for themselves but the fathers claim its for the kids.

Harry_the_Spider

Of course we do! There is no way that my 7 year old is having better toys than me, especially if I’m paying for them!

I’ll buy the car and he can play with it, but it will still be mine.

trevron73
    Free Member

I had a lunch box when i was 12/13 great car , loved it , it crashed and crashed and crashed but i learned to control it 5 a bit young for that i reckon 10 would be ok ? i later got a monster buggy and then a Kyosho raider which i won races with after joining a local model racing club (scary those clubs full of Peado types dribbling over batteries and motors like there Jean todd on release from prison ?)

mrblobby
    Free Member

I relived my yooof by building up a Tamiya Hotshot last year.

Plan on reliving my youth with this I found in my parents attic 🙂 Must be at least 25 years old. Going to strip it down and re-build. Can you get old manuals? New motor and batteries?

nemesis
    Free Member

The problem with old cars is spares – that’s the issue I have with my Cougar 2000 – it’s working perfectly but if I break a wishbone then I’m a bit stuck…

Harry_the_Spider

Progress… Heading down the Tamiya Hornet bundle route I think, with upgraded bearings and batteries and a quick charger.

What sort of run time are you with Tamiya kit getting per set of batteries?

sobriety
    Free Member

The problem with old cars is spares

I found ebay hong kong really useful and pretty cheap when I needed bits for mine.

wilko1999
    Free Member

After reading this thread last week I popped round my folks house as I used to have a Tamiya Lunchbox and a Tamiya Toyota Hilux back in the day. Turns out my Dad threw them both away about 6 months ago! Absolutely gutted, now I’ll have to spend money I don’t have on a new one 😉

Harry_the_Spider

Turns out my Dad threw them both away about 6 months ago!

😯

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Step away from the thread. This subject will seriously hurt your wallet.

I had an RC car a few years ago which I enjoyed taking to the local bmx track to drive about. HPI firestorm. One day I got chatting to a bloke who suggested coming down to the local race track (Tarmac) and seeing what I thought.

I now don’t have a firestorm. I placed 3rd in our local league for Tamiya Mini Stock class (M05) and my son was 5th. I have all the associated gear now with batteries and chargers and am currently having a XRay T4 touring car prepared for my son for the winter season (I will still be running my mini though.

Highlight has been the progression through the C, B and then A finals. Me and my son now hunt the leaders down and take great delight in putting people with 20yrs experience under pressure. Painting the cars the same colour took a bit of getting used to but it makes it worthwhile when someone asks “which friggin Hobo is on my tail this time”.

Milkie
    Free Member

I have deliberately not opened this thread… Then to see someone say

Step away from the thread.

I did lol. It is an expensive hobby if you want good stuff. I still have a my NTC3+, a Tamiya drifter (which actually helped learn real drifting) and a Hyper 8.5 Buggy… Luckily I stopped as I still wanted a truggy and monster truck.

Progress… Heading down the Tamiya Hornet bundle route I think, with upgraded bearings and batteries and a quick charger.

What sort of run time are you with Tamiya kit getting per set of batteries?
    Yes… This is how it starts… Already looking at upgrades and batteries. 😉

I must not go on ebay and start looking at RC’s… 😳

wilko1999
    Free Member

Agreed. I used to race 1/8th IC on-road through late 80’s and most of the 90’s, reading RC car threads seriously gives me the itch to get going again. This is why I went to my folks to see if I could resurrect my old Lunchbox and Toyota Hilux to scratch the itch on the cheap as it might only be a passing fad!

teadrinker
    Free Member

Your dad threw the Hi Lux away – the box on eBay is going for £100!

teadrinker
    Free Member
    Harry_the_Spider

£100 for a cardboard box? You could by a bike for that!

wilko1999
    Free Member

Good condition boxes seem to go for as much if not more than the cars themselves on ebay

Mine was this one though teadrinker:

teadrinker
    Free Member

Is that one of those “stadium racers”? I really want a new toy now. Must get back to work and stop you tubing!

wilko1999
    Free Member

Yeah it’s that sort of thing, was great fun to drive but wore out rear tyres something rotten. I’m now watching 5 or 6 vintage Tamiya trucks on ebay in the hope of picking up a bargain 🙂

Harry_the_Spider

Anyone know the difference between a Rising Fighter and a Hornet other than the body shell?

Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘RC Car for me errr I mean my son for Xmas’ is closed to new replies.