Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Rate my restoration – WARNING : Classic Marin content…
  • Rifty
    Free Member

A 1998 Marin Rift Zone, owned since new, main frame has easily done over 10k miles.

Before – main frame, stem and bars original (swingarm off a 99 Mount Vision):-

After – only main frame original. Actually looks more orange in the flesh:-

Go on, humour me…

GeeWavetree
    Free Member

Ginger beardy bike

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Jesus Christ that is awful. How long are your legs?

I'd rather ride the body of my dead grandmother.

clubber
    Free Member

Having also owned one (well, the longer travelled DH-FRS but they look the same), I can honestly say that they are pretty fugly 😉 Sorry!

b17
    Free Member

I like it! (even though yellow/orange isn't my favourite)

I had a b17 FRS, which sadly cracked under the swingarm. I always loved the ride though, even compared to other big designs. The frame design doesn't have the swoopy cool of the more modern options, but I still think it's one of the neatest solutions to all the lines of a full sus.

I'll be riding the Marin Rock Springs that replaced the b17 in the alps in a few weeks, and enjoying it. The bike proved its worth (and toughness) there last year too.

Coyote
    Free Member

If you like it that's all that matters…

boblo
    Free Member

That's not a classic Marin…. This is

And do get some weedkiller on them daisies. Tsssk letting the side down like that 🙂

glenp
    Free Member

Garden looks much more overgrown in the first picture.

bullheart
    Free Member

Prove it. Photos please.

speaker2animals

Good on you for recycling rather than just binning. Can't say I like the look of it though. Maybe a darker colour would have de-emphasised the tall/spindly look. You go though mate. If it ain't broke… etc.

wwaswas

"Quick! Quick! Put a planter over the drain covers so no one notices them"

re: the Marin – if it rides and looks how you want then fair play to you. The sadlle does look a bit 'pointy down at the front' for long term comfort though.

Kato

She's overrated. The Marin's better

z1ppy

I loved mine, used it till it cracked then have had several new ones since and still wish I'd had/tried the original with a platform shock.

What travel are you running the reba's(?) at?
    Even at 100mm I thought they'd be very tall for it
    (they're as tall as the MX Comp's I last ran on my '00 MV)

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Its an old design but you have done a nice job!

retro83
    Free Member

* Needs a black crank, seatpost, rear mech and rims.
    * Front tyre logo not centred on valve.
    * Shock cover looks naff.
    * Rear mech cable too long.
    * Poploc cable too long.
    * rear disc hose wobbly along top tube
    * light mounting on seatpost appears to have no light attached

Colour looks quite good though 🙂

Seb_C
    Free Member

I really liked my (original) Mount Vision – but sadly ripped off the head tube. I also really liked my DH FRS, but that got stolen 🙁

Nice resto 🙂

Rifty
    Free Member

I'm with b17 re Jon Whytes design.

The rebas are 100mm, as were the 04 mx comp air's before. Perfick with the 120mm stem/tiller imho – I'm a technical climber.

Does your dead grandmother do test rides that extend past the car park Scott ? (my legs are long enough to kick your ass) 😉

epicsteve
    Free Member

I actually prefered the before shot, but neither could be regarded as handsome!

Andy

Looks like an old bike restored. Whats not to like about that? Well done.

knottie8
    Free Member

My 1997 Riftzone(owned from new) was in use tonight !

amodicumofgnar

89 Pine Mountain, first mountain bike I wanted but couldnt afford came up short on the saving and ended up with a bear valley. Still great but made the mistake of going for 21" gate size.

Shouldnt those pads be floro yellow local motion ones to be fully authentic with a match colour zefal pump?

Crag
    Free Member

You can't polish a turd as the old saying goes.

clubber
    Free Member

91 pine mountain was my first mtb. I still marvel at how before their time the 25" fluoro orange bars were since everyone else seemed to be on 20" ones 🙂

roadie_in_denial
    Free Member

Know what? I actually quite like that…and I don't like full suss bikes as a rule. Nice work.

tangent
    Free Member

prehaps you should have written berate your restoration…if had dated from 1988 then truly it would be classic!

but really its great to see something old and supposedly obsolete given a new lease of life … well done! have fun.

Philby

Great to see someone continuing to love and ride an old bike, rather than the norm on here which seems to be buy a bike, spend a fortune on upgrades, decide don't like it (for some unknown reason) a few months later, sell it at a loss, then buy the next new thing / latest model, and then repeat ad infinitum!

Kevevs
    Free Member

I prefer the first pic, cos it looks like you ride it out in them woods somehere.

mangatank
    Free Member

Aw sweet…and they obviously still make SDP sandals too…

Rip
    Free Member

Having seen the original and the build up pictures, this has been an excellent project, keeping a classic going.

Posting here always attracts a range of views and the only opinion that matters is the owner's.

Tangerine is definitely the new orange and this build must be so much more satisfying than just buying a new one.

And SPD sandals are de riguer May to September. Along with shorts!

robdob
    Free Member

It looks well done, but can't help thinking a nice deep glossy blus would have suited it better.

Has it been powder coated or stove enamelled?

Cousin_Ruprecht
    Free Member

Nice job Rifty. There's nothing like keeping a classic going. If folk are thinking that is tasteless, check out my '99 Attack Trail – still my main ride. Anyone found out where Grannie Mcavennie's final resting place is at? There's nothing to say you can't ride both!

….and yes, I know the fence needs done.

wwaswas

is the saddle at that angle so you can get some real speed up as you slide off it and your spuds hit the bottle cage?

molgrips
    Free Member

Classic? That's just old!

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Agree that the Pine Mountain is more classic.

Not sure of the colour on the rebuild.

davidmoyesismydad
    Free Member

ill agree 2008 is not a classic in my book .i was expecting something else .

satisfying all the same though good job

Rifty
    Free Member

robdob – that's triple comet dust powder coated by the excellent folk at Windridge.

The stw response to peoples builds always make me chuckle – that's why I posted :mrgreen:

Cousin_Ruprecht
    Free Member

wwaswas – yep, have since adjusted that saddle angle. Still got those kevlar spuds, but been through a few cages with them. Still think the old Marin design is good – apart from the cage mounts.

rowley
    Free Member

this is my vintage Team Marin, gets used more often than not for our sunday rides.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Rate my restoration – WARNING : Classic Marin content…’ is closed to new replies.