Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • rapid rise, will it break my brain?
  • mikey-simmo
    Free Member

Is Shimano’s Rapid rise dead in the water? It appears that a RR mech is cheaper than a standard version but I’ve a couple of questions.
    Will it melt my brain if I use it with a set of standard shifters and reverse the polarity as it were?

wwaswas

Use RR on all my geared bikes. Only time I had problems was when I had some one way and some the other.

With multi shift shifters it makes more sense to me to have them working RR than not, tbh.

Northwind

I usually service a mate of mine’s bike for him, but he’s been told I’m never doing the gears again unless he replaces the rapid rise mech. It left me a broken man 🙁

TheSanityAssassin

What wwaswas said.

wwaswas

Park tool site explains differences in gear setup technique.

nickewen
    Free Member

I had one on one of my bikes and normal on the other bike. Was forever shifting in the wrong direction… have aligned both bikes to normal rise now!

timbur
    Free Member

A must with flippy shifters.
    I like.

tonyd

Used RR for a few years and actually preferred it to standard. Switched back eventually though as I bought a new bike and forgot to ask for RR – one bike RR and the other normal was too much for me.

MoreCashThanDash

Takes me a couple of shifts each ride to switch between the two systems in my head, but I actually prefer RR.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

I much prefer normal rise as you can slam 3-4 gears down in one movement if you hit a big hill suddenly rather than 4 clicks.

steve73
    Free Member

if all your bikes are not the same then yes your brain will melt !

scaredypants

I don’t think RR will continue as I believe it doesn’t work with shadow mechs

I have it on my road bike (xtr mech) – seems more intuitive to me that the sti big lever makes a higher gear on both sides. I suppose the same “feeling” may be true on mtbs but I use either single ring at the front or else a LHS gripshift anyway, so irrelevant.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘rapid rise, will it break my brain?’ is closed to new replies.