• This topic has 9 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by DT78.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Rapha Classic Wind Jacket – how waterproof/breathable?
  • MoreCashThanDash

Haterz need not reply. We’ve done it too many times already!

Just found an email tempting me to the Rapha summer sale. Have an IOU for a birthday present so may succumb this year.

Any opinions on the Classic Wind Jacket? I’m after a showerproof, “packable in a pocket” jacket to replace my tired and 20 year old pertex one, wondering how good these ones actually are?

Gary_M
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure the wind jacket is what used to be the rain jacket from around 5 years ago. I’ve got one and it’s wind proof, reasonably waterproof but not very breathable. If it’s white inside then it’s the same jacket. As with any rapha item I own it just feels right when you put it on.

Edit: just had a look on the site and although the gray one appears identical on the outside to the one I have it looks different inside.

ceepers

my wife has one and loves it but shes quite a fair weather cyclist. It’s probably the equivalent of the endura pakajak. it will do light showers and is pretty breathable. It’s not a proper waterproof jacket like their rain jacket is. good for warmthe/ keeping in a jersey pocket for getting caught out, not good enough for setting off in persistent rain.

i have the rain jacket which is less breathable but really waterproof and packs small but not as small. i tend to wear it in the winter/ if its raining for the whole ride.

crazy-legs

Probably one of the best bits of kit they do.

I’ve had it in heavy showers across Glencoe and it’s been warm and waterproof throughout. It gets a bit *too* warm if you’re properly caning it but as a “stash it in the back pocket” emergency top, it’s brilliant.

I was out last weekend in varying showery weather and had it on at times but because it was warm and humid it did turn a bit boil in the bag to the point where it was preferable to deal with the drizzle and leave the jacket off.

Just watch the sizing, it can be a bit weird, it doesn’t always match their jersey sizing. Sleeves are very long which is good.

MoreCashThanDash

Ta, will see if they have any in my size when the lady with the purse strings gets home. They haven’t got the Rain Jacket in my size or I would have looked at that.

Mind you, the Brevet jersey with it’s lovely pink gilet looks a good buy as well….

MrSmith
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure the wind jacket is what used to be the rain jacket from around 5 years ago

no it was the stowaway until they got a legal letter.
    i have one, it seems to have a decent temperature range as it breathes well and being small it will go in your back pocket if things get hot. as nice as it is i would spend the money on a castelli gabba from the evans sale or a castelli espresso due soft shell (the 2 other items i own that get a lot of use in the winter) as you are getting more for your money IMHO. a thin windproff/water resistant jacket is great to have but i think it’s one of those items that you probably dont need to spend a fortune on.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Yeh thats it, the stowaway jacket. But it was originally marketed as a waterproof jacket.

the inside of the wind jacket looks different to the stowaway though.

warton
    Free Member

it’s my most used piece of kit.

waterproof enough for spring showers, warm enough, with layers for autumn / spring / light winter. good cut. it’s a great piece of kit.

bikebouy
    Free Member

crazy-legs – Member
    Probably one of the best bits of kit they do.

I have two for that reason, ones in the wash the other I use, then rotate.

Bargain.

DT78
    Free Member

Only XS when I looked.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Rapha Classic Wind Jacket – how waterproof/breathable?’ is closed to new replies.