Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Wheel Deals £250-£350?
  • TimCotic
    Free Member

I’m a bit out of touch with the current deals. Who’s doing the best budget wheel deals at the moment – and are Hope Hubs/Stans Rims still the best thing to go for if you want tubeless under 1800 grams in my price bracket?
    Cheers. 🙂

I’m talking mountain bikes of course! 😀

cloudnine
    Free Member

What size?

parkesie
    Free Member

If you like that kind of thing merlin have crank bros wheels at the bottom of that price range.

winrya
    Free Member

I’ve had my eye on a similar setup having previously ran flows and missing the ease of tubeless.

http://www.freeborn.co.uk/components/wheels-tyres/wheelsets/27-5-650b-wheelsets are about the cheapest I’ve found. Set of 650b with flows £307.50

Bit more for straight pull spokes

chakaping
    Free Member

If you want 26in, there are more good secondhand options about than usual – for obvs reasons.

In fact I have a pair of Crossmax ST that I must to get round to flogging, 1600g, proper UST, nice and sturdy and definitely in your budget.

🙂

granny_ring

Winstanleys were doing a good deal on Hopes a couple of weeks ago.

dirtydog
    Free Member

Wicked Cycles are doing Hope Hoops for £310.00.

Flow ex, Arch ex etc.

jsync
    seavers
    Free Member

I just bought a set of Easton EA70 XCT. £130 brand new from ebay, seller is surplus bike bits. I believe they have a few sets going. Currently on CRC for £230ish.

I have read there were problems with certain hubs in the Easton range (a kit is available to fix this problem) but from my research these hubs were not effected.

So far very happy with them.

Edit: around 1600g and UST. No need for rims strips, tape or sealant. I run them with goo though.

TimCotic
    Free Member

Thanks for all the comments guys. I’ve got a buddy who has some spanky looking Easton Havens but I was surpised that they seem rather heavy. Similarly the Mavic Crossrides look a good deal but I read a review saying they were 1900 grams and that they weren’t as easy to use tubeless as the Stans. It looks like it’s still Hope Humbs and Arch EX for me unless there’s any new info.
    PS.
    I’ve actually got a nice light pair of Stans 26″ 355R/OlympicF wheels for sale myself as I’ve must sold my 26″ full-sus frame.

Yetiman
    Free Member

My 29er Easton Havens have been a good Buy. They are relatively light, have held up well to some serious abuse, and the much maligned hubs haven’t given me any trouble in 18 months of use, although I do give them regular checks. The rims are UST so easy to set up tubeless.

TimCotic
    Free Member

So are the Havens 1600g? – that’s lighter than Hope/Arch EX isn’t it?

Prejudiced Rant:
    Never fancied Crank Bros wheels – they look weird and delicate, have non-standard components, and the their pedal bearings are notoriously short-lived (or at least they used to be).

schmiken

Tim – what price for the wheels? The wife’s bike could do with something a bit lighter.

sprocker
    Free Member

I got spank oozy s from crc for 270, they do well in reviews and in any size. I can’t comment yet as I don’t have the bike to put them on yet

seavers
    Free Member

Tim- just a quick heads up. The Easton Havens were amongst the wheels that had bearing problems. Just worth checking the hubs before you buy. May all be sorted now.

More info Here

TimCotic
    Free Member

Schmiken – I have emailed you.

Thanks for the info seavers 🙂 I’m what’s known as a ‘Late Adopter’ (ie I like stuff that works and has been proved to work LOL)

campfreddie
    Free Member

i’ve just taken delivery of a set of wheels ordered from bikestacja in poland.

i needed a set of 650b wheels with a cannondale lefty front hub which isn’t that easy to find.

bikestacja have an ebay site as well as their own and do some great value builds with stans rims and novatec or dt swiss hubs.

i paid £270 for a pair of crest rims with pillar db aero spokes on a soul kozak front hub and a novatec rear. true weight is 1,450g.

quite happy with that.

danielgroves
    Free Member

mate has some and loves them

If those hubs are anything like my mates to service, on’t go there. Royal pain in the arse.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Wheel Deals £250-£350?’ is closed to new replies.