Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • RANT : Mail order bike shop service
  • underthesun
    Free Member

Just purchased a new Scott from a mail order bike shop. Received the bike yesterday however the rear brake was overfilled with fluid therefore the lever would not move towards to bars as the pads were so close to the rotor (dragging). Had to take the bike to LBS to get it rebled which cost me £30. Now question is am I right to feel p***ed off that the brand new bike did not arrive with the brakes sorted?? Or am I being unreasonable?? Its cost me £30 after all. They are Avid Elixirs by the way.

I rang the mail order bike shop for some advice and they said all bikes should be taken to a LBS to be setup anyway and they were totally unwilling to help. I’ve never had to do this as its just a case of drop the front wheel into the forks fit the bars and away you go.

What are your guys opinions?? Should I get back on to the shop and have a go??

Jamie
    Free Member

Life’s too short. Take it on the chin and go sledging.

xcgb
    Free Member

Get back under the bridge with you 😉

wwaswas

they said all bikes should be taken to a LBS to be setup anyway

I have some sympathy to their point of view – stops some numpty fitting forks the wrong way around and subsequently suing when it all goes wrong.

Did you save mor ethan £30 by buying mail order? If so then you’re still quids in, no?

PersonallyI’d have taken the reservoir cover off and just pushed the pads back in catching any spillage and then replaced reservoir cover.

But I understand your frustration…

ojom
    Free Member

I rang the mail order bike shop for some advice and they said all bikes should be taken to a LBS

Not true.
    We have to send out PDI’d bikes – your fault SHOULD have been apparent at build.
    It can happen though that things go wrong in transit – rare but it can happen.

You bought a working bike. They are responsible for it to be working when you take delivery therefore they should pay for this to be the case.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

To be fair, if you’re not competant at fixing simple things like that yourself, you should stay away from mail order and go to your LBS….

That said, I usually take the time to set up any bike to my liking, no matter where it’s from. 🙂

whytetrash

Don’t bikes like that not comply with BS whatever?…thought they had to be pretty much ready to ride when they leave the shop?…been out of the trade for years mind 😀

underthesun
    Free Member

Looks like I’m just being picky.

I’m off sledging 😉

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘RANT : Mail order bike shop service’ is closed to new replies.