Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • Ramsbottom Residents – "Proper" Fish and Chips?
  • gobuchul
    Free Member

Escaping my Southern Exile, heading to the North West and will be staying in Ramsbottom for a night.

Really fancy some “proper” Northern Fish and Chips, cooked in beef dripping and not the awful veg oil things that Southerners serve up.

Any recommendations?

perchypanther
    Free Member

Binners’ll be along in a minute to tell you that it’s not proper fish and chips unless it’s completely encased in pastry.

terrahawk
    Free Member

Very likely, if not a certainty, that your northern chips will have been cooked in veg oil.
    There was a place in Prestwich who used to use dripping but that one closed.

Cougar

Very likely, if not a certainty, that your northern chips will have been cooked in veg oil.

Dunno about Rammy I’m afraid.

It’s a long way to go for lard, but there’s a place in Hebden Bridge that still does it.

Church Street chippy in Accrington is one of the best for miles (The ones on Abbey Street and Infant Street are also very good.)

binners

We have a selection of venues for ‘proper’ fish and chips.

Taylors on Bridge Street is very good, traditional and you can sit in. However its not open every evening as the place is a license to print money at the weekends, so they don’t bother.

You’ve also got the Fish and Chip co which is also top notch

in fact, we’re spoiled as the Village Chippy is also bloody good

take your pick! 😀

And also…. obviously… when are you up, and whats your plans? Are you bringing a bike? Happy to show you the trails, and I’d recommend a post ride/chips pint in the Brewery/our second home

gobuchul
    Free Member

Binners – Thanks for the info.

Do they use dripping? That’s the kicker for me.

when are you up, and whats your plans

Family Funeral in Bury. Not particularly close relative but a sad story of MND. 🙁

Cougar

Do they use dripping? That’s the kicker for me.

And do any of those not do? Just for future reference if I’m passing.

RustySpanner

Tony Pollard’s in Walsden, next valley but one, uses beef dripping.

Not a fan personally.
    Bit claggy and greasy, with a hint of cow.

I think the introduction of vegetable oil in chippys is one of the single greatest landmarks in recent Northern culture.

terrahawk
    Free Member

agree – chips fried in lard are bloody awful.

And I used to work in a chippy. I know chips, me.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Avoid Edenfield’s chippy. They proudly boast of cooking chips in some veg oil based solution to keep the chip eaters healthy.

They are not that nice; but if you want hair-shirt chips; that would be the place.

My grandparents used to own the chippy on Mile Lane in Ainsworth (between Bury and Bolton). I remember my grandad having a falling out with a Scottish gentleman because he wouldn’t put a meat pie in the fryer.

Happy days!

binners

Sorry to hear that fella

I couldn’t honestly tell you if they use dripping or not.I’m clearly not as northern as I like to think. I’d say if any of them did, Taylors would be your best bet. But all 3 are bloody good chippy’s. And we all know that theres a world of difference between a good and a bad chippy

RustySpanner

Albion Street Chippy, Belfields or Holloways in Burnley.

All really good, but Belfields is a nice ride through the park, so wins.

Crown Street Chippy in Hebden is ace, but a bit stingy with the fish.
    The one at Friendly is good, but how many types of fish cake do you need?

Heng Ju in Rawtenstall worth the drive for Chinese and the Zam Zam grill house in Burnley for Indian.

Open to suggestions and recommendations though.
    🙂

Cougar

Heng Ju in Rawtenstall worth the drive for Chinese and the Zam Zam grill house in Burnley for Indian.

Open to suggestions and recommendations though.

Nino’s in Haslingden for pizza.

binners

Bumba’s grill in Rawtenstall for overdosing on chargrilled kebabs, and The Firepit for steaks

RustySpanner

Ta!
    Not tried that one.

Had a couple of nice meals at Nino’s in Rawtenstall, but not keen on the big one down the road from us.

Enzo’s in Burnley does great pizzas too, if you’re in the area.

Binners, Bumba’s is indeed excellent, but the Heng Ju is opposite and always tempts me away.
    😐

ransos
    Free Member

The Fish & Chip Co. recommended by Binners gets my vote. Good quality, cooked to order, cheap & massive portions. Locals seem to be aware of this as there was a massive queue last time I was in there.

RustySpanner

If anyone knows anywhere locally that does a good Sunday morning Nihari I would be extremely grateful.

retrorick

I’m surprised Kans hasn’t been mentioned yet? It’s been there for as long as i can remember and I’ve always enjoyed the chips. I’ve been using the chippy near DJ cycles and those chips are pretty good too. A kebab from zaidys is alright too as long as you are drunk!

Cougar

Had a couple of nice meals at Nino’s in Rawtenstall, but not keen on the big one down the road from us.

That’s interesting, I only just discovered they’ve got a place in Burnley. Are they not as good there?

RustySpanner

Only been once for an anniversary meal.
    It’s a big, imposing space.
    Bit more ‘formal’ than the one in Rawtenstall, which is always very welcoming and friendly.

Service was poor as the staff were stretched and the food wasn’t as nice as usual.

What really irked was our booking being bumped due to one member of staff fawning over an elderly ex football manager and his family who had just dropped in.

The Kettledrum Pub opposite has had a bit of a renaissance over the last couple of years.
    Enthusiastic local owners, excellent food (if you can cope with chips in fake mini fryers) nice atmosphere, great beer, cyclist friendly.
    Much nicer, worth a trip.
    Next to some nice trails too.

binners

Rusty – Do you ever go to the Waggoners on the top of Burnley Road? When I worked over your way a few years back, it was our default if we were going out for lunch or post work beers. Its just pub grub, but it was always excellent!. Great views if you sit in the beer garden too. On the two days a year it wasn’t bucketing down, obvs 😉

RustySpanner

Only once.

Rode over Crown Point toward your way and blew up on the way back.

Crawled in on my elbows, mid afternoon, sweaty and covered in sheep shit.

Packed very, very tightly with Terry and June lookalikes, all munching away.
    🙂

Inhaled two Guinness and a packet of crisps before people started making sniffing noises and checking their shoes.

Not been back, but if it get’s the nod, it’s worth a rematch.

Cougar

Is that the one in the sticks on Manchester Road? I thought it’d shut?

ScottChegg
    Free Member

What really irked was our booking being bumped due to one member of staff fawning over an elderly ex football manager and his family who had just dropped in

Nino’s are well known locally for kicking ‘ordinary’ folk out to accomodate some 3rd tier Celeb in their places.

The takeaway pizza place, however, is quick and run by nice folk, who can really knock a pizza together.

I’d recommend one, but certainly not the other.

mahalo

as a local i was also gonna say The Fish & Chip Co, i had to check that were talking about the same plaice ( :mrgreen: ) never bothered to take note of what its called before, but we are, and its the only one we ever head for!

However, it appears that Taylors do indeed use beef dripping! Fish & Chip Co dont…

binners

Still very much open Cougar. It was always rammed at lunchtimes! Which probably tells you everything you need to know about the food. Just pub grub, but always bloody lovely! And there are few things more wonderful than a steak pudding, chips, peas and gravy of a lunchtime, washed down with a decent pint 😀 Worth checking out

Cougar

Ah, cool. I only work five minutes away from there (down Rossendale Road), I might have to investigate it tomorrow lunchtime.

RustySpanner

The one further down toward Crawshawbooth has closed, and the big derelict one further toward Burnley has been demolished.

Anyone else always think ‘That looks like a nice boozer’ as they drive past the funeral home opposite where Rossendale Kawasaki used to be?
    😐

rene59
    Free Member

My grandparents used to own the chippy on Mile Lane in Ainsworth (between Bury and Bolton). I remember my grandad having a falling out with a Scottish gentleman because he wouldn’t put a meat pie in the fryer.

You sure it was an actual chippy they owned?

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Pretty sure, yes.

Whatever perversions are acceptable north of the border don’t travel well to more civilised countries.

comfyman
    Free Member

Like the deep fried pizza slice? Weird.

globalti
    Free Member

The best chippy round there is Metro Fish Bar on the A56 half way between J17 of the M60 and Bury. Justifiably popular and you can eat in their dining room. I take my Muslim visitors there because fish is halal and they love the experience and it’s 5 minutes from our office.

slackboy

Waggoners on the top of Burnley Road

Just had a look at the menu and thought “that looks like the menu for the Calfs Head at Worston” Turns out they are owned by the same people.

If the Waggoners is anything like the Calfs Head then it will be great. Although the Calfs Head does have the prettiest beer garden I’ve ever been to.

Thanks for the thread BTW – its uncovered some options I didn’t know about. Looking foreward to trying them out.

gonzy
    Free Member

Heng Ju in Rawtenstall

no no no!!
    that place has been poor every since they bought it formthe previous owners…Wing Li as it was known was miles better…but if you’re in the area then do try Bumba’s….the food is very good there…but its a small venue so it can sometimes feel a bit cramped
    other places to try are Aruzz which is also on Burnley Road in Rawtenstall.
    the chippy in town (Tony’s) has always been very good…its next to the Last Temperance Bar near Boots
    or at least i’ve always had good food from there but then again my best mate owns Aruzz, my nephew owns Bumbas and i went to school with Tony 😀

ulysse
    Free Member

Cougar – Moderator
    Infant Street are also very good.)

I Bought my block and tackle off Stephens dad … yeah random as, i know

RustyNissanPrairie

Swaad in Haslingden for a curry (father&2sons run it) and Toffs in Crawshawbooth for a chippy (does good gluten free stuff for my Mrs)
    Wagoners as mentioned is good but busy!

Edited to add.
    As above – I also can’t stand Ninos and their pampering to the local 2 bob millionaires and celeb wanna be’s, shite food and surly waiting staff. Avoid.

Cougar

I Bought my block and tackle off Stephens dad … yeah random as, i know

Is that his name? I never knew.

Assuming we’re on about the same bloke, he used to run a chippy in Preston just down from the Adelphi roundabout, had many a hangover cure from there of a Saturday lunchtime as a student in the early 90s. Had a bit of a surprise when he turned up in Accy.

ulysse
    Free Member

Sounds like him, his dads a serial chippy owner

Cougar

Oh, so I still don’t know his name, he’s just Stephen’s dad. C’est la vie.

ulysse
    Free Member

Ill have a root around ne phone contacts but im promising nowt 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Ramsbottom Residents – "Proper" Fish and Chips?’ is closed to new replies.