Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 89 total)
  • Rampant Prejudice Time
  • SaxonRider

Am I the only one to irrationally, but quite vehemently, dislike another European country?

Because Portugal does my head in. I mean, what have they given the rest of us other than a ridiculous legal system? No gespacho; no Ouzo; no pizza; no pastries; no particular beer; no scholarship; no decent music…the list could go on.

Keep Lisbon for the history I say, but cut the rest off of the Iberian Peninsula and set it adrift in the Atlantic.

So come on. What country do you think kind of sucks?

aa
    Free Member

I second Portugal,

virtually 3rd world. the bumhole of europe…

jam-bo

Nigeria. Always hassle doing business.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Ireland.

althepal

Albania is the bumhole of Europe.. Infrastructure-wise that is I mean.
    The people are great and I love it there though..

thegreatape
    Free Member

My sister-in-law moved to Lagos last year, so for that, Portugal, I salute you.

meehaja
    Free Member

I’ve always disliked England. Well, not England, just the English. And not the ones that I’ve met who I liked, just the vocal majority.

zimbo
    Free Member

I have a reputation at work, which I uphold for lazy comedy effect, for hating Norwegians. But I love everyone really. Except the bloody English.

SaxonRider

I don’t like Nigeria either, but that’s only because some Nigerians keep promising to deposit money in my bank, and they never come through. Except it’s not in Europe.

But what on earth is wrong with Ireland? I thought everyone liked Ireland?

mu3266
    Free Member

Nigeria, Somalia, Afghanistan for starters. I could go on but then I’d start to look like a certain figure in history who believed in the ubermensch.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Still time to edit “what’s the point of…”

algarvebairn
    Free Member

I spend a bit of time in Portugal so I’d disagree about that. They gave the world tea, coffee, Eusebio, vindaloo (its a corruption of the Portuguese for vinegar and garlic. However, the legal system is a ‘mare but not as bad as the impenetrable language they speak. The people are pretty feckless more or less. I like it all the same.

Ireland, however… I dislike. Intensely.

donsimon
    Free Member

So come on. What country do you think kind of sucks?

england.

grum
    Free Member

I’ve got a bad impression of Belgium and the Belgians for some reason.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

All is forgiven.

😉

aa
    Free Member

The Belgians are great, wierd, but great.

The dutch are also great.

zimbo
    Free Member

Nigeria, Somalia, Afghanistan for starters

Oh THAT Europe…

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Everyone who is more Southern than me..

By inference i’m currently stood at the North Pole.

Oh, and the Welsh, just for balance 😉

seadog101

Australia. If you’re a tourist it’s fab. Living or working there, dung. 🙄

SaxonRider

seadog101 – Member

Australia. If you’re a tourist it’s fab. Living or working there, dung.

Well it is two continents and a hemisphere away, but I suppose it could be mistaken for being in Europe.

mogrim

Quite like Portugal. It’s got a run-down tatty charm that’s lovely to visit.

Wales, on the other hand, is responsible for don_simon 🙂

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Oh, and the French.

No, scratch that, just the Welsh…

Oh OK, just the Spanish Welsh then..

bravohotel8er
    Free Member

Portugal are our oldest allies in Europe and there’s a long history of Anglo-Portuguese families running the port trade.

Great surfing too, just steer clear of the Algarve.

grum
    Free Member

The Belgians are great, wierd, but great.
    The dutch are also great.

Had a bad experince in Belgium when I was a kid. Some bearded 50 year old Belgian guy hit my 14 year old brother over the head with a pool cue in a dispute over who was playing next on a pool table in a youth hostel! Also had a nightmare when we drove down a one way road to have a picnic and came back to find they had dug the road up and we were blocked in. Ended up having to take some fence posts out!

That and the whole Mark Dutroux thing have put me right off. I liked the look of Bruges in In Bruges though, and they do make great beer. 🙂

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I would love to visit Portugal just to visit the Lines of Torres Vedras – anyone been?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

If it wasn’t for Portugal, there would have been no spice trade and hence, no curry!

Junkyard
    Free Member

how good of the Portuguese to send spices to India so they could make curries to bring here centuries later.
    Greeks especially ones with gifts or called Phil oh and germans but only the royals.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Portugal – gave us port and Piri Piri powder. What the hell more do you want?

imp999
    Free Member

Wasn’t it Portugal that was the only place in Eurpe not to roll over to Napoleon and so give Wellington somewhere to land and kick off from?

donsimon
    Free Member

Threads like these really make me feel warm inside.

zimbo
    Free Member

If there’s one place I hate, it’s Xenophobia. Everyone there is a ****. 😀

AlasdairMc

Portugal gave us peri peri, and peri peri gave us Nando’s. All is forgiven.

tthew

[montypython] Ok, so apart from the Port and the Piri Piri powder, WHAT have the Portuguese ever done for us? [/montypython]

yunki
    Free Member

boom festival kind of makes it worth it..

the smell of char-grilled fresh sardines wafting through sleepy fishing towns in the afternoons is nice too..

and Port

maccruiskeen

No gespacho; no Ouzo; no pizza; no pastries; no particular beer

The Portuguese gave us ‘Carne de Vinha d’ Alhos’ – or Vindaloo as its more commonly known

grahamh
    Free Member

If there’s one place I hate, it’s Xenophobia

Yea, them bloody Xenaphobians coming over here and taking all the jobs 8)

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Italy. I can’t stand all the Italians in Italy.

Although bizarrely, every Italian I’ve ever known I’ve liked. It seems that they’re fine when they’re not in Italy, but complete arseholes when they’re at home.

I’m an eighth Italian btw, so can’t be accused of racism.

zimbo
    Free Member

Italy. I can’t stand all the Italians in Italy

I like them less when they’re in London. On the occasions I’ve ventured to the Smoke, Italians always seem to be in the way, gathering at the bottom of a set of steps. Maybe it’s a national trait – is that something you’d do for an eighth of your time when in the capital?

tails
    Free Member

Portugal gave us cork; cork often seals wine so they are good people.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

My Dentist is from Portugal and she is a very good dentist and extremely pretty, so I now enjoy going to the dentist. Thanks Portugal, they also make a fine fortified wine 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 89 total)

The topic ‘Rampant Prejudice Time’ is closed to new replies.