Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Ramblers eh.
  • Getting a bit brassed off at the said ramblers complaining that they "can't hear my bell".
    Thing I'll get a girt big hooter, Any one know where I can get one?

big-chief-96
    Free Member

use your gob,
    it works for me and no one complains.

although Im usually going to fast to hear them. I do alot of walking myself and shouting is generally best

🙂

sootyandjim
    Free Member

Search for 'Airzound', they make one which you recharge using a bicycle pump and they blast out like the Horns of Jerrico (ooo, that reminds me of an old dance tune..) I brought one a few years back to advise ramblers of my approach (scare the sh*t out of people) on the Surrey Hills.

Usually do shout out as well but still get sarcie bell comments

Airzound is about too go into google

ahwiles
    Free Member
    tinribz
    Free Member

How I Installed a Car Horn On My Bike

Hours of fun to be had with that.

Dobbo

I love the car horn 😆

iamsporticus
    Free Member

sorry

I google imaged 'big hooters' to try and help you but Im suddenly a bit distracted

🙂

snowslave

Shout "DING DING". Very verly LOUD. Best of both worlds.

dobo
    Free Member

i just love being really polite, even when they completely ignore you or they say something stupid.

I'm sure it must bug them especially when you havnt done anything to deserve their attitude

have a lovely day 😉 and off i go…

Northwind

I just shout SCUSE ME, ideally in a way that suggests I'm totally out of control.

There was a letter in the Edinburgh Evening News the other night simultaneously complaining about silent cyclists who zoom up and terrify people, and also rude cyclists who ring bells at you. Top stuff.

james
    Free Member

The car horn is ace

Shame its so untidy and heavy though

CountZero

I've used one of those little flick bells on my bikes for years. It always amuses me when I ring it and peds start looking on the ground for something they've dropped. Muppets. I used to use a Fox40 whistle, designed for referees in large American stadiums during football games. Bloody loud, trouble is you need earplugs to stop your ears ringing…

Ambrose

My general advice to people is that if you use something excessively loud all you will do is antagonise the very people whom you are trying to placate. Grow up. Be reasonable, even if they are not. Law says use a bell- so use a bell. Back it up with the use of your voice. Slow down on the approach so you don't startle people- is it REALLY that important to ride quick all of the time? If they are being d!ckish- don't descend to their level.

glenp
    Free Member

What's wrong with just slowing down? Then exchanging a few polite words.

Anyone that "scares the sh*t out of people" is an utter cock.

sootyandjim
    Free Member

Why thank you 'GlenP', though I've been called worse by better. Comfortable hiding behind a computer are you big man?

mtbfix

like the Horns of Jerrico (ooo, that reminds me of an old dance tune..)

Surely you are referring to the 'Hordes of Jericho' to be found on Prodigy's 'Experience'?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

What's wrong with just slowing down? Then exchanging a few polite words.

Anyone that "scares the sh*t out of people" is an utter cock.

It's a good point, but some people are so oblivious to everything around them it's painful

I regularly pass this chap on a twisty shared cycle/footpath. There's enough room for 2, but he wanders slowly along reading the morning paper. I come round a corner and there he is, 20 yards away and half asleep, and whatever I do, he jumps out of his skin and sometimes tells me to slow down (He has no idea how fast I'm going because he hasn't seen me!). Last time I stopped and tried to point out that I could do no more than I already do, it's a shared path and that he should look where he's going. You can see from the odd look I get that the wheel is turning, but the hamster is dead……

glenp
    Free Member

I'm not hiding, Mr notrealname. Pretty easy to find me if you want.

I can only hope that your claim of scaring the cr@p out of people is a bit of silly bull on your part. Whatever. It it's true I stand by my original remark, if it's not true I take it back – you're not a cock, you're a liar.

sootyandjim
    Free Member

Aye, thats the one. Its one of those 'misheard lyrics' tunes where people sing along with the wrong words.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Glen, chill out, dude…. It's Friday. No need, no need! 🙂

sootyandjim
    Free Member

glenp – You really are pathetic. Yes I'm a liar, liar, bums on fire. I actually fitted the Airzound as it seemed that few were paying attention to the bell I previously had fitted and even when I, as you've suggested, slowed down and spoke to people, they often carried on in a world of their own. Obviously though, being the picky @&%# you seem to be you, everything has to be taken at face value.

glenp
    Free Member

Allright, allright. I'll make a note to not heed anything you post from now on. One of my (many, I agree) bugbears is inconsiderate behaviour.

And you're the one that "hides" behind a net-name – I do at least make no secret of my identity or location.

As for pathetic – using a 115 decibel horn is beyond pathetic. Oh hang on – almost forgot, it's not true. Sorry.

Driller
    Free Member

I've always thought we all need to be ambassadors for our sport, and we need to promote a good image of mountain bikers. It can only be good for the sport and the opportunities available for us all in the future.

I ride lots in Yorkshire and also in the South West and occasionally have the odd walker having a go at me, generally the ones who only come out when its sunny or on a bank holiday and then spend their whole walk staring at their shoes rather than looking around.

I think that when a walker has a go at a mountain biker, they don't see a person, they just see a collective, or a group, so its easy for them to label all of us and dislike us. I guess when you're wearing your helmet and you're behind your glasses then it only adds to that 'impersonal' feeling. When you stop and take your helmet off it's much harder for them to have a go at you.

There is a massive miscomprehesion regarding bells though. The law does not say that cyclists HAVE to have a bell. The Highway Code states that cyclists 'Should' have a bell, and if you check in the glossary you'll find that 'Should' = Advisory, whereas 'Must' = It's the law. Not that we're even cycling on roads when the problems occur.

Also, on the occasions I have experienced where a rider has used a bell, it has startled other trail users far more than a friendly 'Hello' or 'Morning' etc from a reasonable distance would do. A bell isn't the kind of noise that most people expect to hear when they're out walking, so it surprises them, it certainly does me when I'm (shock horror) out walking and a mountain biker sounds their bell at me.

Let's stop seeing each other as groups, and start realising that we're all just people. Mountain Bikers, Roadies, Walkers, Horse Riders, Motorists, Football Fans, Fishermen, Kayakers. They're all just people, and one day they might go for a walk, the next they might ride a bike and the next ride a horse, and they probably drive a car every day. They're just people, individuals, not groups that you can label and hate.

Feel the love. Can you feel it? I can…

sootyandjim
    Free Member

You get out of bed the wrong side this moring 'glenp'? Take a break, you don't have to be Mr Angry og the internet all the time, I'm sure there are a few others on here who will share that burden with you. Yes I did fit an Airzound, but no, not for the sole purpose of scaring people. Quick, call the police, someone hasn't been factually accurate on the internet to the exact reason they fitted a horn to their bicycle. As for the 'internet name', well its been one I've used since folk I used to go clubbing with gave it to me many years back and I used it because the profession I was in advised against using real names on internet forums for security reasons. Besides, unless I was to actually look into it your login name is no more 'real' than mine, but why would I bother doing such a thing you are just a person, on the internet, who has a different opinion in things. I'm not about to start 'hunting you down' because you have different opinions to me, that would be particularly sad. If you really care though my real name is James Pardew.

nickegg
    Free Member

Jesus Sooty..what were you thinking? Actually trying to warn people you're approaching 😉

I too have the same problem…no matter what i do i seem to scare the sh1t out of people. Shout, ring bell etc etc…always seem to scare someone. The last person actually jumped a good foot off the ground!

Oh well, i don't really care what they think of me.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I'll make a note to not heed anything you post from now on. One of my (many, I agree) bugbears is inconsiderate behaviour.

HELLO KETTLE? COME IN KETTLE? This is pot calling!

traildog
    Free Member

I've had a bell on my bike for about 6 years now. I was dead against the idea of it before but I was very wrong, it's been brilliant. People seem so much friendlier when you ting it, and they get out of your way quickly. I often don't need to slow that much for them, so it's a greater speed improvement than having the latest fancy damping unit.

glenp
    Free Member

He he. OK. Enough wind-ups. As Peter said, it is Friday. And the sun is shining. And I think I'll take the bike out for a spin later. Quietly obviously.

backhander
    Free Member

You guys without bells please visit

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/hope-hoop-wheels-group-buy

Jobs a good un.

glenp
    Free Member

Oh God no. Hope freewheels. Far too noisy. Or not noisy enough.

nbt

Ambrose – Member
    Law says use a bell- so use a bell.

Actually, the law says "audible warning instrument". Doesn;t have to be a bell. Horns are audible. Hope freewheels are audible. Hell, speaking to someone counts. But a tingy bell counts.

what most walker mean when they say "get a louder bell" is "stop riding. these paths aren't for you, they;re local paths for local people. on foot."

owenfackrell
    Free Member

mtbfix – Member

like the Horns of Jerrico (ooo, that reminds me of an old dance tune..)

Surely you are referring to the 'Hordes of Jericho' to be found on Prodigy's 'Experience'

There is also a song call horns of jericho but i cant remember the artsit though i will put my hand up to owning both.

Trimix
    Free Member

I like to shout "DING DONG", whenever someone says "where is your bell"

Locals aren't usually the problem, it's the early retired brigade in there matching jackets & day sacks.

Driller
    Free Member

Stick people in a group, then we can blame all of 'em. After all they're all the same, aren't they? Especially if you don't know them.

JonBurns
    Free Member

How can anyone get annoyed wit the sound of one of these

stumpy01

I'd like a 'cyclist approaching' warning device that goes AAAWOOOOOOGGGAAAAA – like that bloke from Gladiators used to say.

BigDummy
    Free Member

my real name is James Pardew.

I confess to being slightly disappointed somehow. I always assumed you'd have a really awesome real name. 🙁 😉

sootyandjim
    Free Member

Well don't be disappointed, my name isn't James Pardew.

Just an example of how putting a real sounding name as your login doesn't make it anymore real than a random/nickname/whatever as your login.

My actual real name is Spartacus Lovelance.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Ramblers eh.’ is closed to new replies.