Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Ragley Luxy bars or flat bars with bar ends
  • wishiwascalledsteve

Hi folks, hope you all had a good christmas. In a bit of a dilema regarding the bars on my 29″ singlespeed.

Currently have some flat bars which are fine, but quite a bit I find I am resting my hands on the ends of the bars (so my hands are perpendicular to the bars), so I want some bars that give a position for my hands like that.
    So I’m stuck between Ragley Luxy bars and drop levers or just get some bar ends for my current bars.
    What are the advantages of using drop bars offroad over flat bars.
    Bike is used for XC rides and commuting with 2.1″/2.25″ tyres.

What do you reckon would be the best option?
    Cheers

sbob
    Free Member

I used to have bullhorn bars, which were great with the extra hand position.
    Then I got some riser bars that actually fitted.

wishiwascalledsteve – Member

Currently have some flat bars which are fine

They’re obviously not!

Nipper99
    Free Member

I have the Luxy bars on my Gryphon and they do everything from sustrans to trail centres – very comfortable and I would find it hard to go back to flat bars tbh.

peanut
    Free Member

I swap between Luxy and Jones bars on mine. I love both. The dirt drop type bars do need a high rise stem and even then the reach is often more ‘stretched’ than you might be used to. Google ‘Shiggy’ and ‘drop bars on mtb’ for his reason of why they are so good. Jones bars are expensive tho Titec do cheaper ones. You use your stronger biceps on any bar with a bigger sweep, which is what the bar ends do and its more ergonomic ime. Personally I didn’t like having bar ends cos I was scared they’d snag brambles etc on Green Lanes etc

wishiwascalledsteve

sbob, fair point. They are fine when my hands are on the grips, for singletrack and descending. But for climbing and smooth/wide flat tracks my hands seem to drift to the ends (Idon’t even notice this).

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Ragley Luxy bars or flat bars with bar ends’ is closed to new replies.