Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Radon Slide Carbon 140 – anyone?
  • soobalias
    Free Member

Anyone got any real life experience?
    Anything at all? sizes, suspension design, tyre clearances, customer service

i saw that “surroundedbyhills” took delivery of something from Radon, but them promptly returned it, anyone know what and why?

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Yes I do!

It is really well specced bike with SRAM Gx1 and Yari/Monarch sus. It looks the biz, but… I have been riding a Giant Reign 2010 till now and it felt secure, planted and stable. The Radon Slide150 HD was too twitchy in the steering for me I felt that I was countersteering on it in a way I didn’t with the reign or with my GT chucker or Commencal Absolut – but it may well suit you; so it’s not rubbish but just not for me. I’m going to talk to Giant dealer at weekend. I have friends with Radon slides and they are more than happy. It’s all in my head 🙄

soobalias
    Free Member

did you compare the geo beforehand, or did it just ride rather differently to how you expected (following comparisons?)

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

The geometry was very similar and the frame size was 16″ in both cases. So the fundamental difference is 26″ v 27.5″ and an extra 10mm in travel. But it just felt too steep for me, so I’m going to try something slacker and see how that goes. The HA on Slide is 67deg and the new Reign is 65deg. I think there was a variation in Seat tube angle too which would also contribute. What size are you looking at?

soobalias
    Free Member

18″-20″ im 6’0″
    but it seems that ive ditched the geometry charts for my current NP Mega and previous Yeti ASX, which would have been really useful.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

They should be on Google images some where…

simonrb
    Free Member

This is probably too late now as I can see this post is a few months old, but I am a very happy owner of a Radon Slide Carbon 140 8.0.

If you would like my opinion after several months of riding just let me know.

soobalias
    Free Member

Opinions please!

Im riding a 2012 full susser, with 2008 36 Vans on good old 823 rims – it might be unbreakable, as such there is no urgency to change it.

IF i give in to the 275 bit, a carbon frame seems like an upgrade, i would have to keep a similar level of spec to what i currently have, cant go 1x as the top end just isnt enough..

talk to me

gonzy
    Free Member

simonrb – i’m interested in the swoop and so are a few of my friends..so we’d be interested to know how the slide feels to ride…i know its not as slack as the swoop but it will give us an idea of what the bikes are like to ride as the suspension design is essentially the same

simonrb
    Free Member

soobalias and gonzy

I went for the 8.0, not just on price but also because I read reviews and forums which suggested the Rockshox Pike was better than the Fox fork. I also, like you, decided the 2×11 would give a slightly better range of ratios. All but the 10.0 have 2×11 gears.

I have found it a great bike to ride. It feels very eager to accelerate, the low weight really helps here.

The suspension and 27.5 wheels mean it just soaks up small rocks and roots in its stride.

I had a 100mm travel Spesh FSR XC before so the Radon is far better on fast bumpy downhills, always feels in control.

One of my biking buddies thinks I look quite forward when riding (this is with seat high) but I think this makes for a good position on climbing, it does climb better and faster than my old Spesh despite having more travel, and that’s without locking out the forks or shock.

Overall I am extremely happy, my Strava segments are faster and it helps me keep up with the younger guys and have more fun! I have ridden over 800 miles so far.

Amazing value too, especially as I bought it late last year when the exchange rate was €1.41 to the £!!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Radon Slide Carbon 140 – anyone?’ is closed to new replies.