Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Radio 4's Greatest Moment?
  • Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Well, Certainly that has to be one of the best spoonerisms ever to take place on the today programme…

I particularly enjoyed the way he soldiered on into the news whilst clearly cracking up – Had me wetting myself whilst sitting at the Traffic Lights 😆

– for those who have no idea what I’m talking about, James Naughtie was supposed to say “Culture Secretary Jeremy Hunt” 😳

(edit, D’oh, I did try and put this in the chat forum, sorry)

Macgyver

Aye, I did virtual double take on that whilst driving to work. I thought his apology was well pitched too.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

I heard this…a beautiful moment. I loved his attempt to see through the next minute, borderline ‘corpsing’ his way through, speech interspersed with barely stifled giggles and gaps in the airtime and conjured up coughs so that he had something to blame it all on 😀

I thought the apology was a disgrace, it’s R4 ffs. Lets credit the listeners with enough intelligence to recognise a simple slip of the tongue and enjoy it for what it was without having to offer up an apology to ‘the offended’ 🙄

cookeaa

I was laughing for a good mile and a half in the car, I particularly enjoyed the loaded silence just before the pips…

Quite an apt description too I though….

Did anyone else hear the apology? Can’t believe people would email in a complaint about a coughing fit…

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

And here’s the whole wonderful episode, plus related fallout, in all its glory!

Then to cap off a sterling, taboo-breaking day for R4, Andrew Marr repeats the gaffe later on in the day.

Superb 😀

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Was it as good as Radio 5 allowing Rage Against The Machine to play live about this time last year?

CHB

I turned on just after he said it at 0759 and assumed it was a coughing fit. Very funny!

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

stevenmenmuir – Member
    Was it as good as Radio 5 allowing Rage Against The Machine to play live about this time last year?

Listen to the clip and judge for yourself. I didn’t hear RATM but I know the song well, so I can imagine. Not really the same thing…the R4 clip is all about the glee that the listener, and those in the studio, derive from the presenter corpsing. I suspect RATM weren’t corpsing.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Will do once the kids are in bed. The RATM one was good given the background story, the actual lyrics and the number of times they managed to say the offending word before they were turned off. If I remember right the presenter then announced that they had asked them not to swear.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

what rusty said, the icing on the cake is andrew marr doing the exact same thing whilst reporting on the earlier gaff and saying he couldnt say the rude word. Genius.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Radio 4's Greatest Moment?’ is closed to new replies.