Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Radial trueness
  • landy813
    Free Member

Just built up my first wheel and i get around 1-2mm movement radially is that OK, or do i need to keep tweaking?

Built a Spank Spike up nice looking and solid but the finish could be better for the amount of money they cost.

Cheers

Landy

foxyrider
    Free Member

I'd keep tweaking myself – I usually get it below 1mm if I can 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

How accurate is is possible to be on this? On the last pair I built, one was about 0.5-1mm out radially, the other a bit less….. Is that good/bad/OK/brilliant/sufficient/could be better/??
    I have no idea, TBH

BigJohn

True it up on Tuesday. Egg-shaped wheels for Easter, I say.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Roger Musson says:

The following measurements are a guide to good trueness, as you become more proficient in wheel building you will continually try to improve on these: lateral trueness 0.2mm, radial trueness 0.5mm, dish 1mm (difficult to measure so use a visual assessment). With dish the 1mm error is distriltpted o.5mm either side which is insignificant and is far more accurate than the likely error in the bike frame and dropout alignment.

cynic-al
    Free Member

"perfect wheels" may have 0.5mm, 1-2mm you won't notice.

landy813
    Free Member

Thanks for your reply's i will try and get it a little better, its such a ball ache though tweak that, then need to check and possibly tweak the lateral. But strangely i enjoy it very satisfying seeing the wheel come good.
    I need to print off Roger Musson book instead of using my laptop to read it on, might of actually read the part foxyriders quoted.

Thanks all
    Landy

rootes1

always get the radial into line before moving on lateral true otherwise real pita to correct

Macavity
    Free Member

Imagine having to true wheels for a living

coatesy
    Free Member

Also worth remembering that you'll usually have a radial bump/dip at the rim joint that you can't really true out.

landy813
    Free Member

How tight do the nipples have to be, do i tighten them until the spokes twist then back off the twist or until they just feel nice and tight?

bassspine
    Free Member

Nobody will point and laugh at you, 1mm is invisible from the other side of the trail 🙂 work on it till you're happy with it.

Ideally the spokes should all be at roughly the same tension. If you don't have a proper tool, you'll have to judge it yourself.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Radial trueness’ is closed to new replies.