Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • Racist Chinese detergent advert
  • ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Wet chickens according to Kunta Kinte.

philxx1975
    Free Member

I have two words….

Michael Jackson

And he spent a shit load getting whiter

philxx1975
    Free Member

Secondly

I’m not sure why we would be buying Chinese detergent in the UK never seen that brand on tesco’s shelves

TooTall
    Free Member

Grand Torino, great film but if you removed the racially stereoypical casting it would fail.

Tell me how you think a film about prejudice and overcoming stereotypes would play then.

globalti
    Free Member

In Africa, quite staggering amounts of money are spent on skin toning creams. It’s reckoned that a woman living in a city like Lagos or Nairobi spends 25% of her salary on skin toning and hair straightening. Some of my Nigerian customers have become obscenely wealthy by manufacturing what amounts to body lotion laced with illegal dosages (up to 7%) of hydroquinone, a photographic chemical. The WHO allows up to 2% of HQ but people won’t buy that as it doesn’t have the “sting” and instant effect of the real stuff. If they cant get hydroquinone cream, people use steroid creams and I’ve even heard of people using battery acid.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

In Africa, quite staggering amounts of money are spent on skin toning creams.

And in Europe quite staggering amounts are spent on making skin darker.

It’s almost as if they’re not happy with the way they look.

Edukator
    Free Member

See Drac’s post on the previous page, TooTall.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

I have two words….

Michael Jackson

And he spent a shit load getting whiter

Jackson had Vitiligo. The autopsy confirmed it.

So as it turned out, he did have a medical reason for all that skin whitening.

IIRC he got an awful lot of (what turns out to be baseless) stick for it.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

And it made his hair go straight.

dannyh
    Free Member

That’s a weird, weird advert. That powder is amazing as it changed the guy’s ethnicity as well as his skin colour. If it had been a fat Chinese guy replaced by a ripped younger model there wouldn’t be an outcry (and there are actually plenty of things to get riled up about in body-image terms for both sexes still going on in advertising).

But to actually insinuate that black skin is somehow ‘dirty’ and can be ‘washed’ is so utterly bizarre that it really does warrant a collective WTF.

Let’s go for a bit of lazy stereo-typing in return. Given the suspicions around Chinese elite performance programmes, couldn’t she just have popped along to her local swimming club and ordered the guy she wanted from a genetic template?

slimjim78
    Free Member

I’ve gone right off Formula 1. Does that make me racist?

All that ad proves is that Chinese girls prefer peado looking ghosts.

slimjim78
    Free Member

I have had too many beers

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

But to actually insinuate that black skin is somehow ‘dirty’ and can be ‘washed’ is so utterly bizarre that it really does warrant a collective WTF.

But the original Italian advert is so totally not racist because it only insinuates the “once you go black” trope by stating that “coloured is better”.

BillMC

Only in America could a poor black boy become a rich white woman.

gears_suck
    Free Member

This is a blatant example of ethnic cleansing.

stuey
    Free Member

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

That’s ^^ an interesting reversal of roles – the black boy is being attended to by a white boy.

Presumably Pear’s soap has been challenging racism and racist profiling since 1789. Good for them.

jimjam
    Free Member

gears_suck

This is a blatant example of ethnic cleansing.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@stuey nice find, as @ernie said whats culturally acceptable changes.

slimjim78
    Free Member

I can tell you that Asian people have fewer, smaller sweat glands than Caucasians (us and Indians)

Interesting. My nose suggests that they are just as pungent.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Racist Chinese detergent advert’ is closed to new replies.